• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing Sydney

u079721

Contributing Partner
So I just got back from a week long business trip to Auckland, New Zealand, followed by a week in Brisbane Australia, followed by two and a half weeks holiday in Sydney Australia. What amazing places. Auckland and Sydney are just heaven for sailors, though they are both so expensive that I can't imagine how anyone can afford both a house and a boat there. While in Sydney I got the chance for an afternoon sail on the America's Cup Class boat AUS 40. Was that a hoot! Just an incredible feeling of power and responsiveness in those boats, though I can't imagine rounding up 16 of my closest friends to be able to take her for a sail. Here's me at the helm, and another shot of the other boats in Sydney harbor that day, followed by a stock photo of the boat.

Best line of the day: "We only go back for your hat if you're still wearing it!". Think I'll be using that line in the future.

Attachments

• Sailing Sydney.JPG
    Sailing Sydney.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Sydney sailboats.jpg
    Sydney sailboats.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 62
  • 350 Sailing Sydney AUS 40.jpg
    350 Sailing Sydney AUS 40.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
So I just got back from a week long business trip to Auckland, New Zealand, followed by a week in Brisbane Australia, followed by two and a half weeks holiday in Sydney Australia. What amazing places. Auckland and Sydney are just heaven for sailors, though they are both so expensive that I can't imagine how anyone can afford both a house and a boat there. While in Sydney I got the chance for an afternoon sail on the America's Cup Class boat AUS 40. Was that a hoot! Just an incredible feeling of power and responsiveness in those boats, though I can't imagine rounding up 16 of my closest friends to be able to take her for a sail. Here's me at the helm, and another shot of the other boats in Sydney harbor that day, followed by a stock photo of the boat.

Best line of the day: "We only go back for your hat if you're still wearing it!". Think I'll be using that line in the future.

Steve, what an awesome once in a lifetime opportunity to handle a true thoroughbred! How did you get to go sailing on AUS 40?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Steve, what an awesome once in a lifetime opportunity to handle a true thoroughbred! How did you get to go sailing on AUS 40?

Well as I understand it they support the boat by taking tourists like me for an afternoon sail - so anyone with $120 can go. But if anyone is interested, and travels to Syndey, they seem to be very busy, so don't leave it to the last minute. It took me several tries to get an open spot.

http://sailingsydney.net/

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Auckland and Sydney are just heaven for sailors, though they are both so expensive that I can't imagine how anyone can afford both a house and a boat there.

How about just living aboard? I envy your experience down under Steve! Great pics! :egrin:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Not nearly as exciting as Sydney, but you can do the same thing on Dennis Connor's boats in San Diego. My wife & I went out on Stars & Stripes (USA 11) a few years ago.

Also a fun afternoon this summer on Scoot, a 55 ft custom Nelson Marek design that's in my marina this year. Not a boat I would pick for Lk Champlain. http://www.neboatworks.com/sail/nantucket-55.php

You can get whip-lash on either boat.

The pic is me on the wheel of Stars & Stripes.

Attachments

• Stars & Stripes 061B1.jpg
    Stars & Stripes 061B1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 60

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Not nearly as exciting as Sydney, but you can do the same thing on Dennis Connor's boats in San Diego. My wife & I went out on Stars & Stripes (USA 11) a few years ago.

Also a fun afternoon this summer on Scoot, a 55 ft custom Nelson Marek design that's in my marina this year. Not a boat I would pick for Lk Champlain. http://www.neboatworks.com/sail/nantucket-55.php

You can get whip-lash on either boat.

The pic is me on the wheel of Stars & Stripes.

That is like getting to drive the car Mario Andretti won Indy in!

u079721

Contributing Partner
That is like getting to drive the car Mario Andretti won Indy in!

Yup - the boat I sailed was much bigger than Stars & Strips, but it wasn't an actual America's Cup winner. That would be super special. (Especially since that was back when the America's cup still sailed almost normal boats, not so monstrosities they sail today.)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Yup - the boat I sailed was much bigger than Stars & Strips,

Stars & Stripes USA 11 is also an America's Cup Class boat, the same as Australia 40. It lost the Defender's Cup series to Bill Koch's America3 in 1992. Previous Stars & Stripes were 12 meter class.

I was on the 12 meter yacht Intrepid back in the late 80's when it was on Lk Champlain. It had won the AC twice. I anchored my boat to go take a look at it and the captain invited me aboard. A wood boat with lots & lots of duct tape holding it together. Shortly afterwards it got tied up in a legal hassle. http://alb.merlinone.net/mweb/wmsql.wm.request?oneimage&imageid=5516156

Like Scoot, it was a little out of place racing on Lk Champlain.

Last edited: