• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Storage Problems

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have just completed the installation of a new electric head and sanitation hoses (another upcoming post). It is time for a cruise. As I was taking stuff out of the shed (rodent protected), I noticed frass (ants) on a couple of sail bags. I traced the trail to the 140 genoa for the San Juan 26. The ants had created a nest in the sail. They had chewed through the sail bag and they had chewed many holes in the sail. The pics show some of the damage. I got lucky as the 140 is an old sail and I will just chuck it. There were two spinnakers and a brand new 70 for the Ericson below the damaged sail and a 120, a 90 and a spinnaker for the San Juan there also.

All you guys who are storing your sails in the garage or other areas, check them often. These ants ate through the sail bag to get to the sail.

Attachments

• P1000505.JPG
    P1000505.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 61
  • P1000506.JPG
    P1000506.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000509.JPG
    P1000509.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 57

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yep. Anything I store in an outbuilding gets mice in it, and they do some serious damage. Stuff seems to do OK, stored in the garage, because the cats hang out in there. But it can get awfully cluttered - it wasn't really designed as a storage warehouse for sails, zodiacs, kayaks, outboards, life rafts, pfds, etc. (And I did have a sail - fortunately an old one - ruined by cat pee, a couple of years ago. :mad: )

D'Oh. That reminds me, probably time to bring the Hobie sails in. Or else use them today... :rolleyes:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Daughter moved out

My daughter bought a house and moved out leaving a bedroom empty, great sail loft and no trip to Rooms To Go needed.