• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

phrf e-38 vs e 38-200

Touchrain

Member III
I'm starting racing our E38 (1980) again in the Puget Sound after a long cruise. Since we repowered and changed props, I asked handicapper for new rating. He says my base is 117 and base for newer E38-200 (my competition) is 123. Both boats have deep fin keel. Am I getting hosed?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
PHRF: argh!

Strictly IMHO: If not "hosed" at least lightly peed upon.
You have the same (?) hull, keel, and stock rudder, or I would presume that you do.
There would potentially be a difference in rigs, tall or standard.There were two different keels for that model, also.
When I used to race there was an adjustment for 'fixed' or 'folding' props.
Don't forget that you can fine tune your rating by size of head sail, too. i.e. if your rating changes at, say 130%, then rate it with a 125 and get a favorable change in #.

IIRC, you will need to see the PHRF stated description for both yours and the other boat.

Ruminations:
One reason I used to race one design, and later always in a level fleet was the illogical, slipshod, (and occasionally outright unethical) way that ratings were applied in my area.
Around here, everyone just accepts the premise that it's a flawed process that exists only to divide up a bunch of $14. trophies, and that racing should be done primarily for fun.

The concept of having attitude-challenged boat owners ramming you at a mark to prove their manliness - to the tune of thousands of $ in repairs and legal actions - has limited appeal to normal sailors anyway! :rolleyes:
(Sidebar: our sailing venue is a somewhat narrow river with short legs and boats tend to be up close and personal quite often...)

Speaking of racing in general, if there's a "regular group" of boats racing in your club or area that are very near your rating (or what your rating should be), contact the owners and gently (!) persuade them into a Level Fleet. You will likely need to register as a fleet of at least five boats. Then you can all race the same as one-designs, with no ratings to worry about. "WYSIWYG" as we call it. Probably about as fair as what you are doing now, anyway... and when you finish each race you all know exactly what your position is.
I used this concept to build a level fleet around my boat's speed potential number. Win or not, we all liked the simplicity of it.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited: