• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solar Stik Install

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Awesome! Once you've installed the radar mast, windvane for the Monitor, and fishing gear, I'm afraid there will be little room left back there for the helicopter pad and the missile launcher.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Awesome! Once you've installed the radar mast, windvane for the Monitor, and fishing gear, I'm afraid there will be little room left back there for the helicopter pad and the missile launcher.

No thanks, helicopter pads have too much windage...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Must be really expensive -- can't find a price on their website.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Paul, I found the price for the The Solar Stik™ 100 Lite. Price Range $3,500 * - $5,400 **
* Price includes ONLY a Solar Stik™ Power Generator
** Price includes a Solar Stik™ Power Generator AND Power Storage or Power Management Devices. I don't think this includes the transom mounting options.

http://www.solarstik.com/products-solutions/power-generation/solar-stiktm-100-lite

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Paul, I found the price for the The Solar Stik™ 100 Lite. Price Range $3,500 * - $5,400 **
* Price includes ONLY a Solar Stik™ Power Generator
** Price includes a Solar Stik™ Power Generator AND Power Storage or Power Management Devices. I don't think this includes the transom mounting options.

http://www.solarstik.com/products-solutions/power-generation/solar-stiktm-100-lite

The link you posted is for a land based unit. The marine (boat) units are at the link in the original post. If you go to that link then click on the configuration that best meets your needs there is a MSRP listed. The basic set up (100w of solar, all mounting gear, charge controller, etc) is $4050. There are certainly cheaper ways to get solar but when you consider how much more power you gain with a system that can be directed towards the sun and away from shadows, that stays cool, is very well built, easily stowable, out of the way, and comes with exceptional customer service the value is far worth the cost in my opinion.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Must be really expensive -- can't find a price on their website.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

If you click on any of the configurations on the page in my original post the MSRP is listed near the top. The cheapest one is about $75,000... Just kidding, they run around $4k, well worth it in my opinion depending on your specific needs.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Cheaper Alternatives, though not as pretty

Or you could just hang a $80 panel off the stern rail with $2 worth of conduit hangers and some old bimini parts. I've since replaced the wooden dowel rod with a stainless steel one cut from an old bow rail.:wife:
IMGP2995.jpg

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Or you could just hang a $80 panel off the stern rail with $2 worth of conduit hangers and some old bimini parts. I've since replaced the wooden dowel rod with a stainless steel one cut from an old bow rail.:wife:
View attachment 14969

That's kinda similar to what we had on our previous smaller boat and it worked well enough for what we used it for. In my opinion it's an excellent solution for many people. That said, your setup would not meet our needs for our upcoming trip for a number of reasons including interference with wind vane steering, lack of mount for wind generator, inability to aim towards the sun to maximize power (except for a few positions), and it's not strong enough for some of the conditions we may experience.