• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Pedestal to A-4 Shift Cable

alleymon

Hi Guys,

I'm thrilled to now be an Ericson 27 owner. The previous owner had her for less than a year, knew nothing about sailing and just used her as a place to sit and look at the water. Probably because the owner before her had disconnected a broken shift cable, and she had no idea how to replace it. All that history taken care of... I am having trouble figuring out how the Engine end of the shift cable is mounted. The U shaped connector that the end of the cable to the shift lever is a no-brainer. But the bracket that holds the Cable sleeve is the issue.

It looks like there is a long bracket projecting aft from the engine block with two holes in it... this bracket is more than a foot long which seems excessive. I have found what I believe to be the hardware the PO used to clamp the cable, but it is nothing more than a household electrical conduit bracket. I'm looking for someone who had it set up correctly so I can fix this.

Please help if you've got an atomic 4 as I'm sure all the Engine end brackets would have been set up the same (except for my jury rigged one).

Thanks in advance.

-Alleymon

dthriftusa

Congratuation on your E27.

I am also restoring an E27 and had the same issues with my throttle, shift cable and the connectors at both ends. I used the existing long bracket for the motor connection. I was able to find a slightly used set of cables used from power boat and replaced them both. On the pedestal I made a new holding clamp for the shift cable.

If you need it, I can probably post an engine connection picture this weekend.

Happy sailing, Okumejoe

Hi Guys,

I'm thrilled to now be an Ericson 27 owner. The previous owner had her for less than a year, knew nothing about sailing and just used her as a place to sit and look at the water. Probably because the owner before her had disconnected a broken shift cable, and she had no idea how to replace it. All that history taken care of... I am having trouble figuring out how the Engine end of the shift cable is mounted. The U shaped connector that the end of the cable to the shift lever is a no-brainer. But the bracket that holds the Cable sleeve is the issue.

-Alleymon

alleymon

Mine looked jury rigged too. Maybe they all were? I had a piece of angle iron about that same length and was mounted using the fasteners for the transmission cover. But there was a dedicated clamp designed to fit the cable. You probably have a Morse or Teleflex cable and you can get a better clamp if needed. Mine is shown as the clamp and shim kit here:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...echCat-ControlCables(v4_0)Connection_Kits.pdf

Thanks Walter, for you reply. That makes perfect sense and the clamp and shim kit is exactly what the parts I found turn out to be. CA28018P. This is a great relief to me that it is as designed (though a better design could surely be made). I have the new cable on order and the only thing left is to fish that sucker through the bulkhead and up the pedestal and connect both ends.

Best Regards,

Alleymon

alleymon

Congratuation on your E27.

I am also restoring an E27 and had the same issues with my throttle, shift cable and the connectors at both ends. I used the existing long bracket for the motor connection. I was able to find a slightly used set of cables used from power boat and replaced them both. On the pedestal I made a new holding clamp for the shift cable.

If you need it, I can probably post an engine connection picture this weekend.

Happy sailing, Okumejoe

Thanks Okumejoe, Pictures speak a thousand words and I would be most grateful for a picture if you do get the chance and it isn't too much trouble. I need to get her out of the slip and put those sails up.

I will also post pictures of my efforts to help out those who run into this issue in the future.

The cable being replaced, by the way, is a Teleflex TFXtreme 6400CC 12' and is going into a 1976 E 27 with original Pedestal Steering.

Thanks again,

Alleymon

Last edited:

dthriftusa

Mine is a '78 with original pedestal steering. Be careful not to break something in the pedestal. The manufacture is out of business. It's not an Edson system.

Thanks Okumejoe, Pictures speak a thousand words and I would be most grateful for a picture if you do get the chance and it isn't too much trouble. I need to get her out of the slip and put those sails up.

I will also post pictures of my efforts to help out those who run into this issue in the future.

The cable being replaced, by the way, is a Teleflex TFXtreme 6400CC 12' and is going into a 1976 E 27 with original Pedestal Steering.

Thanks again,

Alleymon

reelmanmi

Member I
Hello all, I see this is a seriously old post and will gladly take direction if their is a better spot to ask for help in getting the shift and throttle cables out of the pedestal of my 1976 E29.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To work on the control cables that terminate inside the pedestal, see photos 2-4.

reelmanmi

Member I
Thanks Christian, this looks like my set up...more work than I wanted to get into but... After 3 days of working on plumbing I went out for a sail and it slipped into neutral at anything above 4 kts and 1 thing led to another.
Any line on cables?
I'll most likely be back to ask how the heck I get to my cockpit drain hose "T"s without a sawzall.