• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Correct way to assess leak damage before rebedding

JPS27

Member III
So.... one of my tasks I'm undertaking as I work on my E27 project is rebedding just about everything. Today's project working on a stanchion rebedding (this was one place with a definite drip drip in hard rain) I found that the inner core was mushy. I followed the Don Casey route of digging out wet core with a bent nail as a drill bit. My question is is that enough? There are no obvious soft spots and the tapping method produces no dull sounds. Am I ok to go ahead with filling with thin epoxy to let it soak in, prior to filling and letting the epoxy cure a la Casey's example? Thanks

Jay

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jay,

How big of a bent nail did you use? Does it extend quite far? If so, get a wire coathanger, bend to suit, and probe inside the hole which you reamed out. If there are soft spots remaining in the core, I think you will feel them. If no soft spots remain, you are good to fill it with epoxy.

If soft spots remain, you may have to drill from the bottom, using a small drill in ever widening concentric circles around the hole. Check the drill bit for mushy core or, hopefully, dry material. That way you can figure out the extent of the rot. You can again probe the holes you drilled with wire to check for soft spots, if necessary.

Good luck

JPS27

Member III
Thanks.

Thanks, Keith. I used a coat hanger this morning before work and discovered considerable wet material. But depending on which direction I was probing it hit hard material within 1/2" to 2". I spent time digging and vacuuming. Based on what I've read I think I will create a mini tarp of sorts with an opening at the low end to keep water from coming in but allowing air in as well. And let that dry out for several days. It seems like the drilling from beneath in concentric circles might be overkill. Sound reasonable? Thanks again.

Jay

davisr

Member III
If the core is wet, it will take longer than several days to dry. If I were you, I'd do it right and come in from the bottom as Keith suggested. You might end up having to take out more core than you had originally planned, but at least you'll get all the bad stuff out. Fill the void with an epoxy coated piece of 3/8 inch plywood, cover it with cloth, and you'll be good to go.

Roscoe