• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Those old Universal Engine Blues

sailingjazz

Member II
Over time my M2-12 has lost it's zip and has been smoking. I had the compression checked and both cylinders were low (below 320). So, decisions need to be made. The boat is a 89 E28. I've talked to the guy at the diesel shop and he has only two options; Rebuild the old universal or repower. Seems like rebuild comes in about 1/2 cost of repower if I do the remove and install. But, either option calls for the changing hands of a significant chunk of boat dollars (to me anyway). I've been thinking about third option.

I've found a guy that sells Kubota engines that were pulled from ag or industrial equipment in Japan. I can get one of these engines or about 1/5 the cost of a rebuild. This guy has a regular business selling to ag and industrial customers in the US. He says the Z430 he has in stock is real nice, clean, and runs good. I can test start the engine and check the compression when it is shipped here and get a warranty return if I am not happy. The guy is going to check but, he thinks this Z430 is 'marked' 103 hrs. My plan would be to pull my old M-12 and bolt the 'marinized' parts from it to the used engine (after cleaning and boiling out). I've studied the schematic diagrams and can't find a catch in the plan.

Anyone done this? What are your thoughts.

Cheers
Kevin

Pat C.

Member III
I know the M25 and the M25 XP are indeed Kubota engines at their core. One thing I wonder is hp ratings are higher for the universal engine than the Kubota engine they are made for, but that could be because of different intake/exhaust manifolds. Those can effect hp. I would wonder if alterations would be necessary in the oil pickup assembly as well due to being mounted at an angle in marine installs.

I will say this. I own a Kubota tractor with a similar three cylinder engine that is in my boat. Back when I was in the market for a tractor talked to a ranch foreman who was an employee's dad. As far as three cylinder diesels go, he felt kubotas were the best, the engines were indestructible. But in the end it is more about how they are not used in marine installs that often kills them.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
my options

Kevin,

My 1983 Universal Atomic Diesel Model 20 is as over heating and smoking. The boat is a 83 E30+.

I spoke with sound Marine Diesel in Connecticut. I asked about both Rebuild and repower options.
The Kubota engine is marinized by Beta Marine based in England. Web site: http:\\soundmarinediesel.com

Up to 10,000 lbs Beta 14 or 16 engine

DanielW

E-28 Owner
My 91 Ericson 28-2 came with a Volvo-Penta 2002, which went in the bin after it failed catastrophically last year.

I put in a Beta 20, which is a marinized Kubota block. It is an extremely sweet engine, much quieter and smoother than the old Volvo (it's a 3 cylinder as oppose the Volvo's 2). It's also much lighter. I actually visited the Beta factory in Gloucester, U.K as it's near where my parents live. What a great bunch of guys, small company making superb products with real passion. The service team are second to none. The Malaysia agent did a great job on the installation and follow up. I couldn't recommend these engines enough. Three friends have also re-engined with Betas and all are extremely happy.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Cost

My 91 Ericson 28-2 came with a Volvo-Penta 2002, which went in the bin after it failed catastrophically last year.

I put in a Beta 20, which is a marinized Kubota block. It is an extremely sweet engine, much quieter and smoother than the old Volvo (it's a 3 cylinder as oppose the Volvo's 2). It's also much lighter. I actually visited the Beta factory in Gloucester, U.K as it's near where my parents live. What a great bunch of guys, small company making superb products with real passion. The service team are second to none. The Malaysia agent did a great job on the installation and follow up. I couldn't recommend these engines enough. Three friends have also re-engined with Betas and all are extremely happy.

Daniel,

what was the ball park cost and what was the breakdown (purchace, shipping, installation). Did you purchase just the engine or did you get the transmission and control pane?

MJS

DanielW

E-28 Owner
I went through the Beta agent in Malaysia who also handles SPW props, so I got the engine, control panel, gearbox, 4 blade variprop, new shaft, cutlass bearing and a PSS Shaft seal all supplied and installed for just less than USD$10,000.00.

I'd consider that good value purely because it means my wife will now come out on the boat and not spend the whole time asking me when the engine is going to conk out - my old Volvo was a testament to unreliability despite two overhauls and many thousands spent on it. It had a penchant for dying at the most inopportune moments such as entering marinas in huge cross currents and high winds, whilst skirting restricted Naval bases in contrary currents leaving me having no choice but to anchor and soon surrounded by navy boats with machine gun wielding red faced marines asking me what the hell I'm doing anchored in their base etc. etc.

I'm assuming that prices will be cheaper out here in Asia but I'd be interested to know what the ballpark for such an installation would be in the U.S.

sailingjazz

Member II
Engine Blues

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Beta is the consensus.

I have been working with the guys at Great Lakes Diesel. They are pushing towards the Yanmar repower if I go the new route and are ball parking over $10k with just the engine installed. Anyone have experience with the Yanmar?

I am leaning towards the used Kubota. Hard to spend more for the repower than I spent for the boat or close to what I could get for the boat. The old Universal / Kubota has always started and never quit.

Cheers
Kevin

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Diesel Engines

In 07 we did the "Loop" with a Yanmar. Over the entire route (which took over 6 and one half months) it never missed a lick. We are talking about 850-900 hrs of operation. As a point of interest that engine was sold to Great Lakes Diesel. He was glad to get it. We both made out on that deal.