• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dodger Design ponderings

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have been contemplating a "full width" dodger to replace our 1995-vintage hatch width one. It is getting tired looking and nearing the end of the original fabric/window life.

This year we changed the main sail cover to a UK Lazycradle design, so that there is no long cover cloth draped down under the boom. Now there's room for a reasonable-height dodger. The trip north up the WA coast this summer certainly reinforced the need for some real shelter. :rolleyes:

With a traveler aft of the companionway entrance it's more challenging to design a dodger. This problem is similar for the Olson 911, Ericson 33RH, and I believe for the E-36RH. Also the E-31C. The aft traveler on the E-35-2 would allow a more generous dodger, but the linkup with a bimini would still be a design consideration requiring some thougt.

if you have one of these boats or others with a similar mainsheet traveler that I overlooked and have a picture to post, that would be great.

I found a photo of a somewhat similar boat on the great Iverson dodger site.
http://www.iversonsdesign.com/images/photo_pages/2010_0425A_iTop/DISPLAY.html

Anyhow, as we head into the fall, it's a good time to ponder upgrades.

Edit: Attached is a picture of our present narrow dodger.

Cheers,
Loren

Attachments

• DodgerTwoViews.jpg
    DodgerTwoViews.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
We have a full width dodger on our E-26 and we couldn't imagine living without it. Ours was made by artful dodger and we inherited it from the PO. (Ill try to get a picture up.) Our dodger is still in like new condition because the previous owner never actually installed it on the boat, but no matter how great it is, a hard dodger would be better. I plan on eventually making a hard dodger out of glassed 3/8 marine/mahogany plywood and moving my electronics from the aft cabin wall to the underside of the hard dodger.
Have you considered building a hard dodger? it is no more invasive to the deck than the 36 holes that our soft dodger utilizes and it offers some advantages over a soft dodger, including better windows and an overall stronger structure that doesn't come loose in a strong blow (or every time a line catches the edge) and less worry about chafe. It would also be easier to mount electronics on the under side of its top in a central and protected location.
Also our cabin top winches were too close to the dodger to get a full turn of the winch, which I assume is why the PO never used the dodger. I solved the problem by shortening a winch handle by 2" and i still have plenty of leverage for my needs.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I have been thinking about a dodger for offshore sailing. My canvas guy said he'd make one for $800 last year. When I called him back he said, he meant $1500! Still not a bad deal. Ah someday:rolleyes:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We like ours very much

We have an Iverson - about 5 years old. Great product as far as I am concerned. It'll cost you, though.

Slick470

Member III
Loren, Craig's boat Loki, had a full width dodger when it was on the market prior to him buying it. It looked like one of the better designed dodgers for the 034 that I've seen. Most don't seem to have the right proportions.

Here is a pic that I saved.vp1010054_1_large.jpg

I have a few more from other angles if you want to see them.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Loren, IMHO one of the most least considered issues with dodgers is the height. I personally hate to be outside and have to spend the entire day looking through plastic windows. Our dodger was low because our PO was short, very short. I love it. I can lean up against it and drape my arms across it and look, gasp!, OVER it. And it protects us from weather just fine. For those who will say, "But you hit your head going down below and coming back up!", nope, it's your own boat, you learn how to deal with what is essentially a non-issue.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.15.html

Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
This was a great dodger. It took a beating, and many of the twist connectors broke. So, I'm still in the middle of replacing it, but will reuse the same hardware. The handles are a great option that come in handy when it's blowing. THis is a well constructed dodger.

Loren, Craig's boat Loki, had a full width dodger when it was on the market prior to him buying it. It looked like one of the better designed dodgers for the 034 that I've seen. Most don't seem to have the right proportions.

Here is a pic that I saved.View attachment 14914

I have a few more from other angles if you want to see them.

MarcusJtown

Member II
Here's my dodger. I had to do a screen grab from a video, so it's not a great shot. It's not on the boat very often, so I don't have any real good pictures, but I'll try and get one. It's a great setup. I tend to use it with the sides off and the center rolled up, just for shade for the kid. It also has a cockpit shade that zips to the aft end and attaches to the backstay.

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 3.33.36 PM.jpg

Really similar to the one above

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's my dodger. I had to do a screen grab from a video, so it's not a great shot. It's not on the boat very often, so I don't have any real good pictures, but I'll try and get one. It's a great setup. I tend to use it with the sides off and the center rolled up, just for shade for the kid. It also has a cockpit shade that zips to the aft end and attaches to the backstay.

View attachment 14990

Really similar to the one above

Do you detach the mainsheet tackle when you install the cockpit shade? (I seem to recall that Stuart does that with his E-31C. That model has a bridgedeck traveler, also.)

Loren

Last edited:

brianb00

O - 34
Dodger Disposal ?

Do you detach the mainsheet tackle when you install the cockpit shade? (I seem to recall that Stuart does that with his E-31C. That model has a bridgedeck traveler, also.)

Loren

Hi Loren, I have an O34 (RedSky), if your looking for a means of disposing of your dodger frame, knowing it will be recycled, contact me.

Regards,

Brian - SF Area

MarcusJtown

Member II

Loren

Yeah, I just move it out to the toe rail. We did put it up once this summer on the way to cuttyhunk, and left the mainsheet attached. Once we left the bay, it was starboard tack the whole way with the Asym up. Woulda been screwed if we had to jibe, lol.

cpcini

Dodger design 35mkiii

I have a hybrid style dodger on my 35mkiii. The windows are EZ2CY .080 acrylic. The Sunbrella color is Spa.The "hybrid design" is a mix of a Traditional and California style dodger. The 3 windows can zip out leaving a top which can be connected to the bimini with a connector piece.I mostly sail with the mid window out and stored below.I hope this pic posts at a smaller size. Note, this dodger/bimini/connector/ss frames/cushions/sailcover might be for sale as we are painting the boat this winter. Note 2, I designed and fabricated this dodger 2 years ago. I own a marine canvas shop/not trying to sell my business wares, but just our personal canvas and at the same time showing an alternate design. Carl

View attachment 14998View attachment 14999

sailing42

Member II
Solid dodger?

Lauren,
depending on the budget you could take a look at a hard dodger - don't have to deal with the fabric/ stitching deteriorating over time, having covers for the plastic windows etc. Could even have the traveller mounted on top possibly - just throwing an idea or two out there. If I remember correctly Tartooga is an outfit that makes hard dodgers. Some of my must haves for a dodger are low height, hand rails on the sides and a long grab rail across the rear of the dodger.
John

Steve A

Member II
Here's what I just installed on my 32; had the side windows wrap up the top so I can still see out when heeled( I have a tiller soI sit right under it).dodger2.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a hybrid style dodger on my 35mkiii. The windows are EZ2CY .080 acrylic. The Sunbrella color is Spa.The "hybrid design" is a mix of a Traditional and California style dodger. The 3 windows can zip out leaving a top which can be connected to the bimini with a connector piece.I mostly sail with the mid window out and stored below.I hope this pic posts at a smaller size. Note, this dodger/bimini/connector/ss frames/cushions/sailcover might be for sale as we are painting the boat this winter. Note 2, I designed and fabricated this dodger 2 years ago. I own a marine canvas shop/not trying to sell my business wares, but just our personal canvas and at the same time showing an alternate design. Carl

View attachment 14998View attachment 14999

Hi Carl,
Your picture did not come through.
Might want to review the site FAQ on attachments. Or just send it to me and I can put it on site.
Loren
(sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net)