• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

25 Plus Outboard

donnie10f

Hi Everyone,

I've scrolled through the forum, but couldn't locate my question. So here it goes...

I have a 25 plus with an outboard mounted to an adjustable stand. The boat came with an old 8 hp 2 stroke which now has been giving me problems. I've had the engine serviced twice, but it still does not work good. After looking for a replacement, it appears 2 strokes are really no longer available. If I go with an 8 hp 4 stroke the engine, it weighs around 85 lbs and it much larger then the 2 stroke. A new 4 stroke 6 hp weighs about the same as my old 8 hp 2 stroke, but is 6 hp too little power? Would a 4 stroke 8 hp be okay for the adjustable stand? If you think it is, then is the 8 hp 4 stroke to bulky back there hanging off the stern? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks-
Donnie

LEB

Member I
for what it's worth

I replaced my failed 9.9 Johnson last fall with a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. It is considerably heavier but i do have a substantial OMC bracket. I was concerned about the flexing of the transom so I added the 3/4 inch slab of HDPE you can see in the picture and a 1/2 inch piece as a backing plate inside. The high thrust has really improved handling in the marina. Casual day sailing hasn't really been impacted by the extra weight but there were other installation challenges. The Johnson had remote throttle and shift mounted on the port side of the cockpit but Yamaha controls were only available for the starboard. Had to find a Teleflex set to stay on the port. Yamaha assumes remote control means remote steering as well. No friction device is provided so I rigged an Octopus Sailboat Drive with the Intellisteer motor control. It does help kick the stern around in a tight turn but the steering cable is not pretty. I do appreciate the electric tilt!

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 197

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I replaced my failed 9.9 Johnson last fall with a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. It is considerably heavier but i do have a substantial OMC bracket. I was concerned about the flexing of the transom so I added the 3/4 inch slab of HDPE you can see in the picture and a 1/2 inch piece as a backing plate inside. The high thrust has really improved handling in the marina. Casual day sailing hasn't really been impacted by the extra weight but there were other installation challenges. The Johnson had remote throttle and shift mounted on the port side of the cockpit but Yamaha controls were only available for the starboard. Had to find a Teleflex set to stay on the port. Yamaha assumes remote control means remote steering as well. No friction device is provided so I rigged an Octopus Sailboat Drive with the Intellisteer motor control. It does help kick the stern around in a tight turn but the steering cable is not pretty. I do appreciate the electric tilt!

How much flexing, if any, do you get on your transom with that rig?

I have an E26-2, which is essentially the same boat, hull-wise. The transom on it is pretty thin, actually. Inside the boat is a liner and there is a space between the liner and the inside of the transom. How did you mount the inside backing plate? Did you cut the liner so that the plate was against the hull? Or was the E25+ not constructed with such a liner?

donnie10f

Thanks for the update and pic. Not sure if I want to restructure and replace the mount though. Well, I've spoken to several around the marina and I was told to simply go with the 6 hp. I was asked how often would I run the 8 hp at full throttle and my answer was hardly ever. So really I never got all the horses out anyway. With that a 6 hp should work just fine. Once mounted I will share how it compares to the 8 hp. Other places I've read were not to go with anything less the 8 hp. Perhaps I will debunk this?!?!

LEB

Member I
to Allen's questions

I'm not seeing any flexing with these stiffeners but it was clearly visible before I added them. The bracket through bolts clamp the whole sandwich together. The transom seems to be a plywood core with fiberglass on both sides. All in, it's about an inch thick. No sign of a liner unless it would be the cockpit.

Attachments

• NCM_0054.jpg
    NCM_0054.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 41
  • NCM_0053.jpg
    NCM_0053.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 49

Vagabond39

Member III
Outboard

You didn't mention the outboard bracket. Mny Ericson's were supplied with a Brewer TW-20 bracket. It was designed for a 2 cycle, up to 20 hp. So the greater weight and torque of a 4 stroke could be a problem.

Glyn Judson

Outboard motor selection.

Donnie, Well for what it's worth I might as well chime in here and give you my two cents worth. Our former boat was a 1979 E25+, hull #515 and I re-powered her with a Yamaha long shaft 9.9 high thrust motor. What a pleasure it was compared to my former motor, an OMC 9.9. The thing that made it perfect for me and my wife who frequently single handed that boat, was the OMC motor bracket I bought for the heavier Yamaha. IT had a nitrogen gas assist cylinder that made lifting the engine a breeze for her. WIth the flip of a lever and a gentle shove down on the engine cover, the moron would magically lift itself up and out of the water. Then all she had to do was to cantilever the engine to the fully stowed out of the water position. And what doe you know, here's the identical bracket I had being offered on eBay: 321510098956 Best of luck, Glyn Judson, 1979 E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

donnie10f

Well today I replaced the 2 cylinder 2 stroke 8 hp engine with the 1 cylinder 4 stroke 6 HP. Though I am still in the break in period, I didn't bring the engine up to full throttle as per the instruction manual (not until after 2 hours of run time); I ran the engine today for 45 minutes or so. But even at 1/2 throttle it pushed the boat around with no problem. Of course we didn't go fast at 1/2 throttle, but enough to get out of the marina and into open water. Sailing conditions today were inviting, so off went the engine and up went the sails. After that we motored back to the marina. Oh, it backed out of the slip with no problem too.

donnie10f

Donnie, Well for what it's worth I might as well chime in here and give you my two cents worth. Our former boat was a 1979 E25+, hull #515 and I re-powered her with a Yamaha long shaft 9.9 high thrust motor. What a pleasure it was compared to my former motor, an OMC 9.9. The thing that made it perfect for me and my wife who frequently single handed that boat, was the OMC motor bracket I bought for the heavier Yamaha. IT had a nitrogen gas assist cylinder that made lifting the engine a breeze for her. WIth the flip of a lever and a gentle shove down on the engine cover, the moron would magically lift itself up and out of the water. Then all she had to do was to cantilever the engine to the fully stowed out of the water position. And what doe you know, here's the identical bracket I had being offered on eBay: 321510098956 Best of luck, Glyn Judson, 1979 E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA
Thanks Glyn for your input. My bracket is the same one which came with the boat and it really needs replacing as the unit won't lock down. Periodically I find myself pushing the engine back down into the water. I really appreciate your chiming in.
Donnie

markvone

Sustaining Member
Get the OMC bracket!

I'll second the superior function of the OMC outboard bracket with the nitrogen assist cylinder. I added one to my E23 and used it with an 8 HP Mercury, long shaft, electric start, two stroke - nearly the weight of a modern four stroke.

Mark

Stringert

I have a 25+ with a brand new 9.9 Tohatsu and the vibrations are unbearable! I glassed a piece of plywood on the inside thinking I needed to strengthen the transom, but not much difference. Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a 25+ with a brand new 9.9 Tohatsu and the vibrations are unbearable! I glassed a piece of plywood on the inside thinking I needed to strengthen the transom, but not much difference. Any suggestions?

Get the prop checked to be sure that the blades are all the same pitch, and also balanced??

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
donnie10f, Good choice with the 6HP. What good is the motor if it's too heavy to handle. I have an E27 with a 9.9 and it's overkill as 1/2 throttle is hull speed. Keep in mind that when the wind kicks up, your best bet in gettting around are still your sail(s). I have gone to the motor on a windy day and even my over powered 9.9 can not keep the hull from being blown to lee.