• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 Ericson 32FT MK-II info

fstarocka

Hi there, looking at one of these, ive found some info on other models (late70's to mid 80's?) - but did read they should not be confused with the earlier mk-2's, so im wondering what these differences are - this is a bruce king design, and has the solid heavy keel design which in turn i believe makes it handle heavy ocean really well and nearly impossibly to turn over..

Can anyone add some info? My priorities are living space and basic comforts.. Im not racing - this will be my first boat also so im almost new to sailing (cant sail without a boat right?)

I would like to sail from florida to Caribbean possibly as the boat is in florida - a friend has been sailing for 20 yrs and will accompany me.. if we can manage that trip -

Thanks
Francois

The original 32-2 was a little narrower than the 32-3. Less space inside, but I have had mine for one season and I love it. Gets into a grove and stays there. Wonderful sailing machine. Accommodations are wonderful the Vberth is huge and actually is used as such (most boats under 35 ft I have been on had tiny V berths). Nice galley etc. Sails and tracks well under sail and motoring. My engine is a bit small - the Yanmar 2gm20 runs great but I have a river to get through to my marina and current os 2.3 knots means I am struggling to make it back into port etc. I got a new mainsail and that makes this thing really perk up.

I can't speak higher for this design. If it's a good boat in good shape and if it has a diesel repower I would get it, as long as chainplates don't leak, deck core is not compromised etc.. Everything else can be easily fixed or updated.

Best of luck.

windjunkee

Member III
I have the 1970 E-32. Hull #134.

She's not particularly good at pointing. Open ocean, off wind, she's a dream.
I've been sailing/racing her off shore for more than 10 years now.
Living space is fine. We've been off shore at sea for 7-12 days. The water tank is a bit small for that though. Storage under the dinette settee is large but subject to water intrusion from the bilge. Easy to steer, but if you're deep off the wind, she can become a handful.
We converted the starboard settee into gear storage. That helps when you have a lot of stuff.
If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2, Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Steve A

Member II
I have #243 and she points well. I sailed from Vallejo to Alameda close hauled thru two bridges and never touched the tiller! Planing to sail to PNW next summer , then south to??? I also changed my starboard settee to a hobby shop/stowage as well as building in a full nav station in place of the quarter berth. See pics in my gallery.delta5.jpg