• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Wiring. Engine removed. Help please

kauaisail

Hello All. I recently purchased a 1973 27 Ericson. It had an inboard engine that was removed, so I am putting an outboard on it in the next month or so. My problem is that none of my 12v systems work. I am pretty sure its because the ground is gone along with the motor. I am getting 12v on the back of the panel but nothing will turn on. Does anyone know which wire is the ground or does anyone have a schematic of the wiring so I can try to piece it together? I have looked online to no avail. Also related to this, can I use the motor mount bolts as a ground once I figure out which wires they are or is that not a good idea. Any tips or advice appreciated, I thought I was pretty good at 12V but the engine that everything ran through being gone is throwing me off. Thanks in advance and have a great day, glen

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
There should be a negative buss terminal on the back of the electrical panel that all of the negative wires come to. Connect that to the battery negative post and you will be good to go.
Originally the negative buss grounded to the engine block and the engine block was connected to the battery.

kauaisail

Also welcome to the forum!

Thank you Shelman for the welcome and the advice. I found the ground I believe but only one of the systems is working. Is there a way to bypass the switches and just put power directly to the terminal block to see which if any of the lights work? Then I would know the problem is in my panel or switches. I think all of the lines at the terminal block are positives from the various lights...

sailing42

Member II
Electrical wiring

I redid all the wiring on my 27 a few years ago but after reading your post I dug up the old harness and switch panel. This is what I can figure out: From the panel the harness went to the port side with three way splices for the cabin lamps along the way, to the bow with wires for the nav lights and then along the starboard side with more three way connectors for the cabin lights to the stern for the anchor light. Wiring: black - ground, red - cabin lights, white - running light ( I think both the front nav lights and the stern anchor light were on this circuit). The battery was below the quarter berth with the ground hooked up to the engine block. There was no negative bus only a black ground wire in the switch panel spliced into a three way connector that worked its way back to the engine. Other wires in the switch panel were heavy gauge yellow - power (12+) and wires for the blower - green, masthead light blue. You could make up a length of wire with in line fuse and hook it up to the negative terminal of your battery and attach it temporarily to the black wire in the switch panel and then using a test light or multimeter check your lights etc . A real handy reference for electrical systems/ troubleshooting etc can be found on line : The 12 volt doctor's practical handbook for the boats electrical system by Edgar J Beyn.
Hope this helps
John

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Maybe you could unhook the wires from the panel and hot wire each of them with pigtails or something to see what works and what doesn't. But be sure to use an appropriately sized inline fuse so you don't burn the whole thing to the water line. It can happen. The better option would be to add a new negative buss terminal that has a good ground directly to the battery and hook everything up to that. you will want that anyway. wiring is always worth the time to do it right! A buss terminal is cheap, and will keep things from getting clustered. Also label every wire when you find out where it goes, IE masthead, bilge pump, blower, a year and a half from now you will be glad you did.
Also check your positive buss to make sure its got good power. then you can work your way out from there.
start at the battery, then work your way out checking for proper power at every connection.

Last edited: