• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 31 Electric Conversion

Mikegunning

I am a vendor asking a question of this forum. I have owned an Ericson 27 in the past.
We have a client who is converting their Ericson 31 to our electric drive. We have found after doing 10 or 12 Ericson that there is no common sized shaft diameter for the boats. If any of you could reply with the shaft diameter of your Ericson, it would help our clients. The most popular Ericson to be converted is the 35 but we have seen no standard for propeller shafts even for that model.
Thanks,
Mike Gunning sv Chacita Ericson 27 former owner
Electric Yacht of Southern California

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Mike, if the E31 had an A4 it is probably 3/4". Is your customer looking to get the coupling ahead of time? I would play it safe and get back there and measure the shaft.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Mike, if the E31 had an A4 it is probably 3/4". Is your customer looking to get the coupling ahead of time? I would play it safe and get back there and measure the shaft.

IIRC, boats of that era would indeed have a 3/4" shaft for the gas engine, but a change to a diesel might have used a 1".
And then, on any boat with more than one owner... you can not be sure what a yard might have changed in the past 30 years.
Absolutely, measure what's there now. (!)

Loren

Emerald

Just to be sure we're on the same page, you say E31, I think you mean an Independence 31? If so, while an option, I don't believe any came with the A4, and if so, maybe only 1 (Glyn can verify this). So, let's assume it was a diesel, probably a 2QM15, and at that point we're talking a 1" shaft.

Hope this helps.

Glyn Judson

E31 shaft size.

Mike, David is spot on. Only one E31 regardless of further designation, came fitted with an A4 and that was hull #21 all others were diesel Westerbeke (Bukh) 20's, 22 of them, Yanmar 2QM15's, 42 of them and five Universal 16's and two missing hulls, probably Yanmar 2QM15 as well. The A4 was fitted with a 3/4" shaft, all the others, 1". A curious mind wants to know, which E31 is being considered for electric conversion? If I had to guess, I'd say it might be hull #62, Solitaire. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA