• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spinlock XAS Bedding Compound Warning

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I bought a triple clutch by Spinlock (the XAS, which is a compact lever-operated clutch) to use to upgrade from the original lever cams for the vang and reef lines. As I'm marking the hole pattern on the cabin top yesterday to mount it, I noticed a warning label on the bottom that says not to use Polysulfide or Polyurethane to bed the clutches. The instructions do say to use silicone sealant, but I figured that was to simplify the instructions for the new do-it-yourselfers. So, I was pretty surprised to see a Warning label.

The metallic parts are housed in a plastic body. There must be something pretty cool about the plastic material to cause them to use it when it is apparently not compatible with common removable bedding compounds. Has anyone on the board asked Spinlock about it?

It is disappointing, but I like the clutches and I'll use the silicone. There is silicone used here and there on the boat, including on the old Spinlock double clutch where it was bedded on the opposite side, but I generally stay away from silicone sealants because the residue can't be cleaned off with solvents.

Both winches on the cabin top were also bedded with silicone, but I'll use polysulfide when they go back on. To fully clean and lube them, the bases need to be dismounted.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I use butyl tape for all deck mounted hardware that will compress the tape. Easy to remove and stays tacky forever as long as it is under something to keep it out of the sun.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought a triple clutch by Spinlock (the XAS, which is a compact lever-operated clutch) to use to upgrade from the original lever cams for the vang and reef lines. As I'm marking the hole pattern on the cabin top yesterday to mount it, I noticed a warning label on the bottom that says not to use Polysulfide or Polyurethane to bed the clutches. The instructions do say to use silicone sealant, but I figured that was to simplify the instructions for the new do-it-yourselfers. So, I was pretty surprised to see a Warning label.

The metallic parts are housed in a plastic body. There must be something pretty cool about the plastic material to cause them to use it when it is apparently not compatible with common removable bedding compounds. Has anyone on the board asked Spinlock about it?

It is disappointing, but I like the clutches and I'll use the silicone. There is silicone used here and there on the boat, including on the old Spinlock double clutch where it was bedded on the opposite side, but I generally stay away from silicone sealants because the residue can't be cleaned off with solvents.

Both winches on the cabin top were also bedded with silicone, but I'll use polysulfide when they go back on. To fully clean and lube them, the bases need to be dismounted.

I am only surprised that they mentioned polyurethane. Polysulfide has been known for attacking plastics for four decades. I learned that that hard way back in the 70's. :(

OTOH, I have used "LifeSeal", a modified urethane sealant for many many years with no ill effects on plastics.
As noted above, nowadays I would also use the high-grade gray bedding stuff from MaineSail.....

Loren

Maine Sail

Member III

Not unusual at all polysulfide is contraindicated with many plastics as are many polyurethanes. These products can prematurely leach the plasticizers out of the product and make it brittle...

Fparry

Member II
Not for nothing but I just read an article in a respected sail magazine which advocated the use of inexpensive "rope caulk" for any bedding needs above the water line. Available at any hardware store for less than $6. Apparently this stuff is easy to handle, never hardens, and creates a near perfect seal with little or no mess. Has anyone here ever used this on their boat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 264

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Spinlock XAS

Fred,

I just replaced the last original rope clutch on Easy with an XAS single to match the others. We used silicone around the bolts and holes and tightened her down.

Since we we have the same boat I will tell you that this one is the second reef line and is on the port side (outside). It was easily accessible by unzipping the headliner below in the aft cabin.
Rick

Fparry

Member II
I have all of the original clutches on Luna. The plastic handles are becoming very brittle and the jib halliard clutch handle broke last year as the result of excessive fore being applied. With the exception of the handles the clutches all work very well and are low on my list of replacement projects.

I am still wondering if anyone has used this rope caulk.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Doh!

I have all of the original clutches on Luna. The plastic handles are becoming very brittle and the jib halliard clutch handle broke last year as the result of excessive fore being applied. With the exception of the handles the clutches all work very well and are low on my list of replacement projects.

I am still wondering if anyone has used this rope caulk.

Thats what I get from my dyslexia! I thought you originated this thread and were replacing your clutches with the Spinlock XAs, and now I see it was Footrope......

FWIW, Mainesail's butyl tape is wonderful!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Tried butyl tape - maybe it seals, but working with it is clearly an acquired skill

A skill which I will not likely continue to develop. I will gift my remaining 99% of a roll to a friend who also likes it.