• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Cleaning

Blue Chip

Member III
Anyone here ever tried to clean the engine and the surrounding area with a STEAM CLEANER??? I used to clean the engine on my sports cars all the time at the car wash after the usual precautions. At least STEAM (187 degrees) doesn't have the pressure that the car wash had and would maybe do a better job Any advice???

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'd be interested to see how that works for you. I've used degreaser and a wire brush without much success.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
I have never liked the idea of steam cleaning after I found out that it dried out the wiring insulation on the ignition wires on a Mercedes...they were not cheap to replace....and some of the other wireing was the worse for wear....... and on a boat in a confined area......with other equipment in the immediate area.....even less so.....I am sure someone will come back having nothing but praise.....so this is just my .0000002 worth......

I have used Gunk.....really stinks up the boat, but does a good job with a medium bristle brush.....if really filthy might take a few more applications.....also there is a product I bought at the recomendation of my helpful hardware man at the local Ace a few years back called Challenger.....worked just great....no after smell and seemed to really clean the engine on my Ericson after the PO probably left the dipstick out....it was a really filthy black mess.....

All of the above FWIW....

Good Luck