• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need advice on new engine

JPS27

Member III
Ok. My first post to this site a few days ago about my E27's bilge design was just a warm up, probably because that is something I'm mechanically confident with. But here's my real problem--and given my lack of mechanical know how it's overwhelming. I had my boat surveyed last winter before I bought it and was told the boat was a great find, which in many ways it is. PO put in 1000s of dollars in hardware upgrades and took care of his engine. But he, like me, was not mechanic or even a hobby mechanic. I suppose what I'm about to say I could put on the surveyor but as the owner the buck stops with moi, so to speak. My A-4 started running rough several months after I bought the boat in spite of my OCD focus on following all the "best practices" I found on Moyer and other sites. Turns out that the block is cracked (someone tried to fill it with some sort of hardener). Talked to Moyer folks and sent them pics. They said it was shot and I need a new engine.

Putting despair with situation aside, I've put in extra hours at work and saved a reasonable amount of dough to do a repower, but not a brand new engine. I have a couple of options right now: one is a Yanmar 2GM Raw that runs along with an identical engine (no transmission) for parts if and when I need them. Asking price $900 for both. The same guy has a "new" rebuild pulled from a bought that was left at the slip. It looks hardly used and suppose I could use the ID numbers on the engine to get info on it from Moyer. Asking price on it is $2000. This fellow works with a lot of folks at my marina and has a good reputation for what that's worth. A good friend of mine who works part time for this guy actually motored the S-2 that the yanmar was in to the boatyard some weeks ago. The boat was stripped of all reusable parts and crushed. Last week I was there when we started the yanmar in the workshop (on one try) and let it run for awhile. The A-4 I have not witnessed running yet.

What would guys be thinking, asking, considering if you were in my shoes. Should I consider one of these for my 27 or run like heck in the other direction? I'd appreciate your thoughts as my wife hates to see this grown man cry :). (not really, but I am feeling pretty bummed at this point).

Jay

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
By far the easiest course would be to replace the A4 with another A4. If you repower with a different engine, much more is involved than merely slapping in a new engine. For starters, you'll have to modify the engine beds to make the alignment work out right for the prop shaft; this is not always a straightforward proposition. Then you'll need a new prop since the old one will be wrong. Your fuel tank will need a return line added if you go with a diesel. You'll also have to add a water separator/fuel filter besides the engine mounted one. The exhaust will likely have to be re-done as well. Your existing engine controls may or may not be compatible. And so on and so forth.

If you pay someone to do all these mods then you are going to be into it for a good deal more money than merely the price of the engine. If you can find a good running A4 that you can just drop in, in place of the old one, then you can probably do the swap yourself. If you just want to get this over and done with, with as little fuss and expense as possible, then I think this is the way to go.

The Moyer site is a really excellent place for info, as you have already discovered.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Stick with the same engine..

There is a guy in our marina who owns a 1987 Gulfstar. He brought her here after purchasing her from out of state. Rather quickly he encountered engine problems and elected to have it replaced with a different engine from a different company. This was 6/13. He thought the work would have been completed by Labor Day. Motor mounts, coupling, alignment, shaft, prop, electrical problems, and a whole lot more bs. As of today, the boat is still not complete and hasn't moved since the engine was lowered into the boast last 8/13. He has now owned a boat for 17 months and it hasn't motored or sailed since 6/13. Try to keep this experience front and center. I call it a nightmare.

cswim

Atomic 4

I have an Atomic 4 with 12 hours since overhaul. I might consider selling the engine. It's in Maryland am truly not sure yet what I will do with the E29.