• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery Charger Replacement

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
My old battery charger needs replaced.

I have two batteries:

1) Deep cycle series 24 for the house
2) West Marine Starter 1000

What would be a good battery charger that can both charge and maintain these two different

Thanks in advance
Rick

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
My old battery charger needs replaced. I have two batteries:1) Deep cycle series 24 for the house2) West Marine Starter 1000 What would be a good battery charger that can both charge and maintain these two different Thanks in advanceRick
Rick:A Guest 2610A Charger has two independent 5 Amp charging circuits. As does the Promar 31410. Both are 115V AC chargers, and are waterproof.Both wilkl charge the type24 batteries at about a C 20 rate. (Capacity /20 hours) The West marine starting 1000 = 95 Amp Hours, and the Deep Cycle = 85 Amp Hours.Bob

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Does anyone here have experience with either the Pronautic 1220P or the Sterling Procharge Ultra battery chargers?

I'm considering one for our two bank setup.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rick - I know a couple of people with 40 amp Pronautica P chargers. No problems, but not much history.

Maine Sail says that the two were jointly developed so there is probably no real difference. They do look the same.

Post #9 http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1149320&highlight=which battery charger

That being the case, I'd select the one with the biggest.... No, no... I'd pick the cheapest.

Don't worry about the banks being different sizes. They will charge according to need, assuming identical chemistries and similar designs.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick - I know a couple of people with 40 amp Pronautica P chargers. No problems, but not much history.

Maine Sail says that the two were jointly developed so there is probably no real difference. They do look the same.

Post #9 http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1149320&highlight=which battery charger

That being the case, I'd select the one with the biggest.... No, no... I'd pick the cheapest.

Don't worry about the banks being different sizes. They will charge according to need, assuming identical chemistries and similar designs.

Cheapest is is Tom!

You are correct about them being basically the same. I just ordered a Sterling 12/20 from Bay Marine Supply. Spoke with a guy named Allen who was very helpful. He explained how the ProNautic and Sterling were engineered by the same folks until ProMarine had financial troubles which enabled Sterling to start selling in the USA. Before that the Sterlings weren't available here.

Thanks for your answer.

Game seven of the World Series is tonight!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I just bought a Promariner Truepower combi 2500qs inverter charger, 2500 watt inverter, 50 amp three phase charger (only one bank output) at a pawn shop for the price of a Guest 10Amp. The combi is an inverter charger, running off shore power when attached and charging batteries converting to inverter when shore power is removed, very neat but could get in trouble if unaware that the inverter was on at dock or if careless using inverter power.

Does anyone have experience with this unit? I plan on using this on the E 29 I bought for the Gulf coast. Rick I think I will be keeping her at Buccaneer Yacht club Mobile, AL, cost will be much less and Pensacola will be a long day of sailing away or two leisurely days on the intercostal. I will definitely be hanging out in Pensacola quite a bit, so I will see you there.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I just bought a Promariner Truepower combi 2500qs inverter charger, 2500 watt inverter, 50 amp three phase charger (only one bank output) at a pawn shop for the price of a Guest 10Amp. The combi is an inverter charger, running off shore power when attached and charging batteries converting to inverter when shore power is removed, very neat but could get in trouble if unaware that the inverter was on at dock or if careless using inverter power.

Does anyone have experience with this unit? I plan on using this on the E 29 I bought for the Gulf coast. Rick I think I will be keeping her at Buccaneer Yacht club Mobile, AL, cost will be much less and Pensacola will be a long day of sailing away or two leisurely days on the intercostal. I will definitely be hanging out in Pensacola quite a bit, so I will see you there.

Now I have a reason to head to Mobile and Fairhope! We can always meet at Pirates Cove or the Wharf! Glad you're coming down.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
New Battery Charger Installed!

Thought you old salts (Metzger) would appreciate this photo of the old charger I removed today. Not sure if it's original equipment but it looks 1989....

It is a Professional Mariner Bass Pro 20.

I love the old meter, reminds me of the VU meters on the 2" 24 track tape machine in the studio!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 310

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rick - That's almost as nice as the one I took out of my son's '98 PS/E-333 after he bought it in 2007.

En Douce 214.jpg

I still have it if you want to make an offer. Sorry, the Truecharge 20 stayed with the boat.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick - That's almost as nice as the one I took out of my son's '98 PS/E-333 after he bought it in 2007.

View attachment 15161

I still have it if you want to make an offer. Sorry, the Truecharge 20 stayed with the boat.

Tom

That classic black potentiometer looks like it's out of a 50's Sci Fi movie.

"Klaatu barada nikto"
RR

Last edited:

Peter K

Member II
Hi Rick,
I see you replaced your charger last year. I am installing a ProSport20 Plus in the starboard lazarette. I have the leads all set to be connected to the batteries which are in the aft cabin. But have a question about the AC connection. The PO connected the charger AC plug by cutting it off and splicing it to a AC cord that appears to run from near the electrical panel, past the head and into the stb lazarette. I'd be more comfortable if I could find an AC outlet to use instead of splicing. How did you handle this?
Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Charger install

Check out the wiring diagrams in the down loads. Do NOT splice into the 110 circuit. Most hook into the 110v breaker panel.
Harold, Mischief:devil:Maker

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Peter - It is advantageous to wire permanently installed equipment to the AC panel. This gives you a dedicated circuit breaker for your charger and allows you to turn it on and off easily. Most chargers for boats your size don't come with line cords and require direct wiring.

Unless you can get into the charger to connect the AC cable directly to the charger I would splice it like the previous owner did. An alternative would be to install an outlet in a box at the end of the AC cable and plug your charger into it.

Harold - Why do you say "Do NOT splice into the 110 circuit"?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wiring fun

Hi Rick,
I see you replaced your charger last year. I am installing a ProSport20 Plus in the starboard lazarette. I have the leads all set to be connected to the batteries which are in the aft cabin. But have a question about the AC connection. The PO connected the charger AC plug by cutting it off and splicing it to a AC cord that appears to run from near the electrical panel, past the head and into the stb lazarette. I'd be more comfortable if I could find an AC outlet to use instead of splicing. How did you handle this?
Thanks,
Peter

When I replaced the original "closet warmer" ferro resonant charger that came with our boat (and moved it to the other side of the boat), it was wired in with a continuous run of 'boat cable' from the AC panel breaker. Not wanting to change out all of the run, I put in a plastic box and made up a connection inside it to the new cable that went to the new charger location. The wiring is crimped and contained inside the box with a plastic blank cover. It has passed a couple of surveys over the years.

We installed a new Statpower 20, back in the 90's. in 2010 it was replaced by a new Protech 1220i series. Still have it, altho it does have some quirks - anytime the ambient is over 68 degrees, the cooling fan runs a lot and is kind of noisy.

If starting over on a boat of this vintage now, I would just run new cable from the panel breaker to the charger.
BTW, don't forget to fuse the charger supply wire to each battery 'positive' post within 7 inches of the battery terminal.

Loren

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Fuses at Battery Positive

...don't forget to fuse the charger supply wire to each battery 'positive' post within 7 inches of the battery terminal.

Loren

My original charger had nice 8GA copper leading to the battery box, which was good, but it made it a little difficult to fuse the positive leads when I replaced the charger, since the fuses were not required in 1987. These are the parts I used to solve that problem:

Fuse Holder - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007WWJ5PK

Fuses - http://amzn.com/B004WK4ZSW

The charger is a Guest 2610a.

Last edited: