• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boom brake

paul culver

Member III
Here's something I've been experimenting with (attached pic) since reading about it on the internet. Its a low cost boom brake based on a climbing "8". It is not a jibe preventer but rather a jibe slower that comes in handy when my autohelm can't maintain course. The wraps through the 8 create friction, and the ends of the line are fed through turning blocks and back to secondary winches/cleats in the cockpit. The rate of boom swing is controlled by the tension on the line end: more tension = slower jibe. I rig it ahead of long down wind runs and adjust it as needed. I like the system.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Attachments

• Boom break.jpg
    Boom break.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 176

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I did the same thing two weeks ago! I ran the line from one aft lower shroud chain plate, up to the 8 and then threaded it through the opposite chain plate and then ran it back to the cockpit ending at a jam cleat so I can adjust it easily.
Its not perfect but it does help slow things down a bit, and it didn't cost me anything but the time it took to rummage through my climbing bag for spare parts.