• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Prop for 1988 E 32-3

Eric B

Learning
Aloha,
I have to replace my old 2 blade prop, which may or may not be the original. As of a couple of weeks ago, it has been transformed into a 1 blade prop.

It is still on the boat, and I have not measured it's length, and I don't know what the pitch is.

I am considering replacing with a 3 blade Campbell Sailer, not being terribly concerned with a slight increase in drag, given the advantages. Would love a fancier, feathery, folding one, but that's too big an increase in drag on my wallet...​

I have the owners manual for the engine and the boat, but have not found any info re the prop size and pitch.

I am looking for any advice, opinions, experience, actual knowledge, etc., regarding the old prop, and input on a new one.

Thanks all,

Eric

1988 E 32-3
Hull #747
Liliana

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your present prop should have the diameter and pitch stamped on the hub part of the casting. If only a blade is gone, the information is very likely still there.
Hopefully someone with a sister ship can provide some specific info.
Boat out of the water now? Or, did you dive and inspect the remains of the prop?
BTW, if you motored very far with one blade, the vibration may have harmed the cutlass bearing or even the shaft. (Yikes.)

Loren

Eric B

Learning
Your present prop should have the diameter and pitch stamped on the hub part of the casting. If only a blade is gone, the information is very likely still there.
Hopefully someone with a sister ship can provide some specific info.
Boat out of the water now? Or, did you dive and inspect the remains of the prop?
BTW, if you motored very far with one blade, the vibration may have harmed the cutlass bearing or even the shaft. (Yikes.)

Loren

Hi Loren, thanks for your response.

Still waiting for the sister ships..
Boat is still in water. Sailed and anchored last Saturday. I always look at bottom while anchored, saw it then. There were symptoms of a problem of some sort, but I had no clue (knowledge, experience) that I would find that.
Did not think, or know, at the time to check for stamps on the prop.

Probably put in 4 hours or so of motoring since noticing something was amiss, but I was keeping the speed down a bit lower.
Your advice on the cutlass bearing and shaft is good. My guy at the yard said the same.

Fortunately, I have full insurance (minus my deductible) that will cover something hitting and damaging the prop, and the related costs of hauling out, time on the hard, bearing, shaft, etc., and of course, a shiny new prop. Favoring the Campbell Sailer 3 blade right now, but they haven't returned my calls yet...

By the way, I certainly do appreciate all of the time and effort you give to all of us sailors, especially your wealth of knowledge and experience.

Thanks Loren,

Eric

P.S. Trying to get familiar with how the postings, replies, blogs and etc. all work. May take a while...

TakeFive

Member II
1) Calculate recommended size using online calculator such as http://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php
That will put you in the ball park. Run a second calc using more weight. You should now have a range.

2) Google "your engine model" and "recommended propellor size"
See what similar size and weight boats are using. Should fall within your calculated range.

3) You can now have a conversation with a local prop shop. Not sure brand preference counts for much, willingness to pull prop and redo pitch if it doesn't reach X knots at X rpm would count for a lot.

My E31-I shipped with a 16X11 ( I think) Not a lot of clearance between blade and hull.
Calculations indicated a range from 15X8 to 15X11. A 15X14 3-blade is currently mounted, so it might be a little overpitched. Not enough to worry about.

-Garrett

Last edited:

pick

Member II
My 32-3 with the 21 hp Universal engine was a nice match with a Michigan 3 blade 15 in diameter 10 pitch. When I repowered to a 25 hp Beta I decreased the pitch to 9 and cut a quarter inch off the radius making it a 14.5 in diameter. This was because the Beta runs at a higher rpm than the Universal. Hope this helps... Mike

Eric B

Learning
Hi Mike,

That might just be helpful. My '88 32-3 has the M 25 XP which has 23 HP, though I don't know if that would call for much difference in the prop specs.

I really like all I've been reading about the Campbell Sailer 3 blade, but the company has not answered their phone, or responded to my calls and messages yet.

So I may end up with the Michigan after all. It looks as though the michigan has a lot more surface area, did you find that it slowed you down significantly under sail?

You live in Vancouver? That's where the company that makes the Campbell props is located (if they are still there). Maybe you can go knock them up side their head and tell them to answer their phone!

Anyway, I appreciate your reply and your information, Mike.

Thanks,

Eric

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I know you are looking at dollars, I am at least as $$ conscious as anyone but I consider the Flexofold two blade the best spend dollars for the boat. better for sailing speed and no turbulent from the prop on the rudder and less drag, also drives the boat better than the original two blade fixed prop both forward and back.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Mike,

That might just be helpful. My '88 32-3 has the M 25 XP which has 23 HP, though I don't know if that would call for much difference in the prop specs.

I really like all I've been reading about the Campbell Sailer 3 blade, but the company has not answered their phone, or responded to my calls and messages yet.

So I may end up with the Michigan after all. It looks as though the michigan has a lot more surface area, did you find that it slowed you down significantly under sail?

You live in Vancouver? That's where the company that makes the Campbell props is located (if they are still there). Maybe you can go knock them up side their head and tell them to answer their phone!

Anyway, I appreciate your reply and your information, Mike.

Thanks,

Eric

About "Vancouver"... that prop maker is in Canada, and not Washington State. :)

And while their business and certification practices may have changed over the last few years, my Michigan "sailor" three blade prop came to me with the pitch differing by a half inch from one blade to the other. I had a local prop shop true it up to spec later while chasing down some vibration in the drive train. If doing this again, I would only buy a prop from a company that warrantied their work. This was money I should not have had to spend.

According to the local folks that fixed our prop ( http://www.props.com.au/propellerworks/default.htm ) there are other prop builders that include a QC check sheet with each prop.
....Live 'n' learn... as the saying goes...
:rolleyes:

Our boat has a Universal M25XP, also.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Eric B

Learning
I know you are looking at dollars, I am at least as $$ conscious as anyone but I consider the Flexofold two blade the best spend dollars for the boat. better for sailing speed and no turbulent from the prop on the rudder and less drag, also drives the boat better than the original two blade fixed prop both forward and back.

Yes, that sounds very nice, other than the prices that I just looked at...
icon9.gif

Unfortunately, I don't think my insurance adjuster will want to cover that.. unbelievable! You would think they would want to make their clients really happy!
icon10.gif

Thanks Randy,

Eric

Eric B

Learning
About "Vancouver"... that prop maker is in Canada, and not Washington State. :)

And while their business and certification practices may have changed over the last few years, my Michigan "sailor" three blade prop came to me with the pitch differing by a half inch from one blade to the other. I had a local prop shop true it up to spec later while chasing down some vibration in the drive train. If doing this again, I would only buy a prop from a company that warrantied their work. This was money I should not have had to spend.

According to the local folks that fixed our prop ( http://www.props.com.au/propellerworks/default.htm ) there are other prop builders that include a QC check sheet with each prop.
....Live 'n' learn... as the saying goes...
:rolleyes:

Our boat has a Universal M25XP, also.

Cheers,
Loren

Yes, Loren, as soon as I posted it struck me
electrical.gif
. Not the same Vancouver.

That's good info on Michigan, makes me all the happier that I finally just got a return call from West by North (Campbell Sailer props).

Unfortunately, there was a death in the family so they were closed. Fortunately, they are now open for business. They said that if something has to be changed with the prop they send, they will send a new one with the appropriate adjustments made, so you can just switch them out in one shot. I had read someone's post somewhere that they had done that for them.

Beside the folders and featherererers.. the available info that I have found online in various posts and studies, points to this Campbell 3 blade as being a more effective, and less drag design for the 3 blade fixed prop. I guess you talked me into it. Seems like the best choice (for my purposes). Not married to it yet, so still willing to hear and learn more...

Thanks again Loren
icon14.png