• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

water in the bilge

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I have water in my bilge.
I checked the bilge pump and it is was/is spinning like mad but the water is not being pumped out. I replaced the pump because I was uncertain of its age but the results are the same. The pump spins but water is not pumped out.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Many pumps are self-priming but some are not. If yours is the latter, it may need priming to get it to suck water. I once installed a pump and had it reversed so it pumped in rather than suck out, and nothing happened til I switched it around and then it worked perfectly, so that could also be the problem. If there is a blockage somewhere in the line it also won't pump water. Just a few thoughts to get you started.
Good luck!
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have water in my bilge.
I checked the bilge pump and it is was/is spinning like mad but the water is not being pumped out. I replaced the pump because I was uncertain of its age but the results are the same. The pump spins but water is not pumped out.

What model and year is your boat?
By the mid 80's Ericson was putting in Jabsco positive displacement bilge pumps, and they are quite reliable. Older boats may have had Rule centrifugal pumps... and they do have their "quirks".
How is your discharge hose? Solid all the way to the thru hull exit point? Have you traced out the whole routing?

Last, if your pump sounds like it's spinning, you need to be sure that there are not low points in the hose sections where an air lock could develop.
It's possible that the impeller might be detached from the shaft, but that is highly unlikely with a new pump.

Those little Rule pumps can move a high volume of water, but Only when every part of the system is perfect.

Loren

Clarice

Member I
Could you provide more info like how much water? is this a new occurrence? Is the problem that you can't get it all out. My bilge pump will not pump all the water out. I have to manually pump the last two inches.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
reply to bilge pump

Old pump: seaflo 550 Gallons Hour.
New pump: seaflo 550 Gallons Hour.

The impellor spins but the water does not flow. I like the answer to check the hose.
It makes sense because I have been doing lots of work. I will check that out.

MJS

orangedog

I get the same problem if the bilge pump is lying on its side, if you have a deep bilge like the e29 it can be hard to situate the pump properly. I would suggest trouble shooting it in a pail where you can see whats going on.

Chris Knudsen

Member II
Have you confirmed that the polarity is correct? It is possible that the motor is spinning the wrong way. Also, I had some insects (wasps I think) built a nest in my discharge for the bilge and plugged it up. Learned that one the hard way.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Ahoy Sailors and Sailorettes

the pump:
1) was not moving water
2) replaced old pump with new pump (re-wired one color at a time)
3) Is not moving water
4) traced bilge pump line to bile pump discharge
5) the bilge is full to overflowing
6) manually bailed 100 Gallons

Next step
replace bilge pump line

mjs

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Take the line off the pump and hold the discharge of the pump above the water and see of the pump moves water, if not just for run switch the wires and try again, there is a simple explanation and unless the discharge line has a low spot with standing water it should be work.

1 Pump goes in water
2 power to pump motor
3 impeller goes round
4 water goes out discharge line.

My apologies for the smart @$$ list but it is that simple.

Chris Knudsen

Member II
When my discharge line was blocked and before I figured out where, I just hooked about 10' of hose on and pumped it into the sink. Beats bailing by hand.

Blue Chip

Member III
clogged strainer

When my discharge line was blocked and before I figured out where, I just hooked about 10' of hose on and pumped it into the sink. Beats bailing by hand.

Similar problem was found to be a clogged strainer. Bilge water goes through a strainer on the firewall near the engine and the strainer was completely clogged...pumping happened...but no water got through. cleaned the screen...worked like a charm. Possibe in you case?

Chris Knudsen

Member II
Bilge water goes through a strainer on the firewall near the engine and the strainer was completely clogged.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a strainer on the bilge discharge? I haven't seen this before. On all of the boats I have owned it's just a straight shot out of the boat. Seems to me that you would want to have the least amount of restrictions possible for the bilge water.

Blue Chip

Member III
strainer on bilge pump

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a strainer on the bilge discharge? I haven't seen this before. On all of the boats I have owned it's just a straight shot out of the boat. Seems to me that you would want to have the least amount of restrictions possible for the bilge water.

Well I looked at i again and the water enters the hose...goes thru the filter and through the pump and out the boat. I guess it's to protect the pump from the junk.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well I looked at i again and the water enters the hose...goes thru the filter and through the pump and out the boat. I guess it's to protect the pump from the junk.

That's how the factory plumbed both electric bilge pumps in our boat.

LB

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Randy R to the rescue

It appears that Randy R was correct.

1) start at pump and disconnect first leg of hose, turn on pump, water gushes. hurrah
2) re-connect, go to engine compartment, disconnect hose, turn on pump, water gushes, hurrah
3) re-connect, go to bilge discharge, disconnect hose, turn on pump, water gushes, hurrah
4) re-connect everything, turn on pump, we have a miracle, water gushes, bilge empties, heaven be praised!
5) move pump, auto pump setting blows, oh crap!

Good news, bilge is empty, bad news, now the auto setting is blown.

Thanks everyone
MJS

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Loren

What model and year is your boat?
By the mid 80's Ericson was putting in Jabsco positive displacement bilge pumps, and they are quite reliable. Older boats may have had Rule centrifugal pumps... and they do have their "quirks".
How is your discharge hose? Solid all the way to the thru hull exit point? Have you traced out the whole routing?

Last, if your pump sounds like it's spinning, you need to be sure that there are not low points in the hose sections where an air lock could develop.
It's possible that the impeller might be detached from the shaft, but that is highly unlikely with a new pump.

Those little Rule pumps can move a high volume of water, but Only when every part of the system is perfect.

Loren

Simple story:
I removed the drain hose, rinsed out some crud and re-assembled.... turned the pump to manual and she pumped the bilge near dry.

MJS