• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

chain plate inspection/etc

hdlEric

Member III
I have an '87 E34, the shorter draft model. The fastening points for the chain plates are hidden behind the beautiful teak backs of the settees. Do I need to remove the backs to inspect them? Also, the plate that lays on the deck (outside the cabin); where the shrouds actually attach, has distorted upward; ie, pulled away from the deck; between the two bolts that attach the plate to the deck. Apparently this occurred a long time ago; because, the gap has been calked. Has anybody else had this occur? Does it mean trouble??? thanks so much for any input!!!!! Howard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More Info would help

I have not seen such a problem, so perhaps some pictures would help us visualize it better.
Your model has forged ss U-bolts where the shroud turn buckles attach, doesn't it?

As for the inside attachment, my boat has a very similar structure. I removed the plugs and pulled the settee backs many years ago -- the backs needed varnishing anyway. Since the cushion(s) cover most of the panel when in use I have never replaced the teak plugs. There's quite a herkin' strong frp molding back there! The ss rod terminates by being threaded into a solid alum. round bar that is held on each end by holes in thick frp.

There are a couple of machined "flats" visible where one can put a wrench on that rod and rotate it to tension the connection with the deck above.

One good inspection I would advise would be for you to access the top of the rod inside where the headed top rests in a rectangular alum. block, and check for corrosion. As long as the thru-deck connection is sealed there will be no corrosion, but some owners have found some water intrusion.

So let us know what you discover.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

hdlEric

Member III
chain plate inspection

Thanks so much for the info Loren!!!! It's good to know about the sturdy attachments!! I do believe the shrouds are attached with the SS U bolt you described, but the head liner prevents visual access. I will take a pic. I cannot get to the underside of the attachments without destroying the headliner, but guess I will need to do so :mad:. I guess I can always cover the area with the teak. I had thought about cutting a rectangular piece out of the settee back, then replacing it......essentially creating an access door for future inspections.....what do you think?
thanks again Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
If you've not already done so, I would have a rigger look at it - evaluate the entire rig - to ensure that the loading is not off, etc.

//sse

hdlEric

Member III
chain plate inspection

Thanks Sean, unfortunately there aren't any in, or within an hour or so of Toledo, OH.

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
E34 Chain plates

I have my boat currently disassembled the point one can clearly see the area you mention. The boat is in Sandusky ( a one hour drive from you). You are welcome to come take a look at it or by the weekend I could have some pictures for you.

hdlEric

Member III
chain plate inspection

Hi,
Thanks so much!! I could come over, but not until after next weekend, so I don't know where you would be in the process at that time. Howard.