• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interested in E35 ii (1972) , advice needed light air / open water performance

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
Thanks for the clarification. That will let me know when my model of Ericson is being referenced when I am working on various projects. This is a great site, proud to be an Ericson owner! :egrin:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hello,

I’m Phil MacFarlane and I own Sail a Vie a 1971 E-35 MKII #184. This is the boat that has been mentioned in this thread that sailed to Hawaii solo.

So actually I raced to Hawaii from San Francisco on Sail a Vie three times, 2000, 2004 and 2006. In 2000 my only self-steering device was a Monitor wind vane. So even though these boats can be a bit of a handful down wind in big seas we got there with a wind vane, which says a lot about the boat, and we had a respectable finish time in the fleet.

In 2004 I had added an electric autopilot and won first place overall on corrected time, which says great things about the boat. In 06 we won our division and I really wasn’t pushing that year. It was more of a cruise for me that time. It’s worth noting also that I sailed her home each time too. The first time double handed with a friend that got me into racing and the next two times alone.

My wife and I have also sailed her to and back from Mexico twice.

The E 35 Mk II is an excellent light air boat. But she’s not bad in heavy air either. The first four days of the 2004 Trans Pac was with gale force winds and we held our own.

Really this boat is the perfect boat in my opinion for the type of sailing we have done on her. The only problem is her age. If I had the money I would seriously consider have the same hull and deck built new today with modern materials. But that is not going to happen. I’ve sailed on a lot of boats over the years since I bought Sail a Vie and none of them sail like she does. By the way, I bought her in 1989 and still have her.

I was asked to do a written interview before the 06 Trans Pac and it has lots of info on what I did to my boat. I am copying it here for you.

Cheers
Phil MacFarlane

Phil Macfarlane
First off…Who are you? Where are you from? What would you consider your Home Port and sailing locale?
I am Phil MacFarlane. I was born and raised in San Mateo California. As a kid I would ride my bike on the levee and look out at the sail boats on the South Bay and think one day that will be me. My homeport is the port of Redwood City Ca. My sailing area is the Southern San Francisco Bay.
Please describe your sailboat. What type of boat is it? Year? Make? Model? How long have you had it? Any major modifications made to your boat for solo sailing or offshore sailing?
My boat is Sail a Vie. She is a 1971 Ericson 35 Mk II masthead sloop. I bought her as a home in 1989. I lived aboard her with my cat Dink for seven years. My girlfriend and I taught ourselves how to sail her. As to modifications: When I bought her she had an atomic four that didn’t run. I didn’t have much money and didn’t know how to sail. I bought her because I needed a place to live plus I liked the idea of sailing away to exotic islands some day. I rebuilt the atomic and then about five years latter sold it and replaced it with a new Yanmar 3gm30 diesel. The Yanmar is three inches taller than the Atomic and I wanted to keep the same look of the settee so I rebuilt the entire “U” shaped settee three inches higher giving me that much more storage.I made a custom water lift muffler out of fiberglass that fits under the engine. I had a custom 45-gallon fuel tank made that goes in the original area under the cockpit. I removed the wheel, binical, quadrant and other steering gear and went back to the original tiller set up. The wind vane and autopilot have a much easier time not turning the wheel. I replaced the rudder with a Carl Schumacher Cal 40 Rudder. I added gussets made of glass and pvc foam, fore and aft and on both sides of the rudder tube. I replaced the old cracked wood spreaders with new wood spreaders I made. I added inside track on the deck for my 101% and storm jib, boat points much higher. I replaced the two main bulkheads that the chain plates are bolted to as well as the one in the head that the forward port side lower is bolted to. In order to remove the starboard main bulkhead I had to remove the starboard settee. Instead of putting back the same thing I built a much taller version out of pvc foam and glass, which is like a pilot berth now. I put wood veneer on it so it looks like the rest of the interior but is stronger, lighter and will never rot. This was a great thing because I now have 35 gallons of water and one eight D battery on the lower level of this area and a huge 6foot by three foot by two foot deep storage area with one large lid on a hinge. I keep tools, spares and supplies in there. I lived aboard for seven years. As I sailed more and more and got into racing and bought more and more sails I needed a place to put them and I didn’t need a v berth anymore. Also as I would pound my way up the Bay from Redwood City in the afternoon chop I would look at the sides of the hull in the v berth flex in and out and wonder how long it could do that for. I took my saws all and cut out the entire V berth. I ground down every inch of the entire v berth area and put in new bulkheads that I made out of pvc foam and glass and at the sides they go all the way up to the cubby compartments. I added eight more layers of glass on the centerline where the two hull haves are joined. And I added hull stiffeners made out of cardboard tubes cut in half lengthwise and glassed in place throughout the v berth area. After talking with Mr. King the designer, I re glassed the floor pan to the hull everywhere possible. He said this should have been done at the factory but I guess they were skimping on the parts no one would ever see. I added a single side band radio and tuner using the backstay as the primary antenna. I have an emergency antenna, which is a piece of ¾ pve pipe with copper wire wound around it and giant heat shrink over the whole thing. It works well, I tried it. I have an apple laptop in a semi waterproof case at the nav station with GPS NAVX program and AIS. Two VHF radios one in the cockpit one at the nav station. Three vhf antennas, one at the masthead, one on the transom and one on the stern rail. Deck level running lights as well as a tri color and strobe at the masthead. I built an “H” frame that holds a radar antenna and a 7-amp solar panel over the rear of the cockpit. The whole frame unit was built of aluminum scaffolding parts from Mc Master Car for under $300.00 it is only on the boat for long trips. Installs and uninstalls in about an hour including radar antenna and solar panel. I replaced the wood hand rails on the cabin top with stainless tubing and mirrored the same thing below to act as a backing plate and give a hand hold below. I rewired the entire boat. Every single wire except for the engine harness I put in. Every one. Every wire is a home run to the panel, which I put at the nav station. Every light every thing is a home run. There are only two splices on the entire boat; those are for the running lights at the bow. I have a 135-amp alternator and a very sophisticated charging system. Two eight D batteries and an Optima Starting Battery all AGM. All Blue Seas Breakers. A Monitor wind vane, which was the only self-steering for the first trips to Hawaii and Mexico and Back. Later added an Alpha 3000 autopilot. Replaced all the port lights with 3/8 lexan. 406 EPIRB AVON four man offshore in a Valise kept below under the companionway ladder. The list goes on but you get the idea. The boat has been a huge part of my life. It’s worth mentioning that I did everything my self. I have never paid anyone else to work on the boat although I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of great friends lend a hand over the years. If you were to see her in person you would think she was a piece of crap. She really looks bad theses days. She has 25-year-old LPU, which is well past its life. But she’s a sleeper. Everything works and works well.
How long have you been sailing? When did you decide that the solo experience was for you?
I started sailing when I was about 20 or so. A friend dared me to try sail boarding aka windsurfing. I fell in love with that and spent all my free time windsurfing. I even lived in my Toyota Land Cruiser with two boards on the roof. I started to want to singlehand after reading Tristan Jones’s book “the Incredible Voyage”.
A piece or pieces of gear you would not do without? Self-Tailing winches? AIS? Egg Timer? Gimbaled cup holder? What do you value and consider vital for safe, comfortable Singlehanded Sailing?
I would not go without a windvane. An egg timer is also very useful as well as headlights, to wear on your head.
Most memorable trip/passage/ adventure you have had so far sailing solo?
Boy, that’s a hard one. Could have been my first ever time alone in the Ocean which also was my first ever SSS race, the 1997 Farallones. It was light winds and I finished around 03:00 to take first in division. Could be my first Long Pac in 98. It was my first time on the Ocean over night ever and I was alone. Just had the windvane for steering and it was new to me and the lines chaffed through. It was really windy and wet but I survived and did well in the race. Could have been the first trip back from Mexico when I single handed from San Diego to San Francisco. That was the hardest single handing I had done at that time. Could have been my first SSS Trans Pac when I thought I was going to die. But I guess it has to be the 2004 SSS Trans Pac because it is the only time ever that I kept a log and so now I can go back and read it and so I can remember it better than any other trip.
Worries and or concerns when you are out solo? Pirates? Tankers? Whales? Flying fish? What is on your mind?
Tankers are a worry but really I worry about getting dismasted between Hawaii and California. I worry most about this as I approach the California Coast on the way home. If I were to get dismasted say 400 miles off California I would have two choices: abandon my boat for a ride in. Or turn around a sail with a jury rig back to Hawaii. And after getting to Hawaii then what? No insurance, no money in the bank, it would be a really bad thing and is my biggest worry.
What is your favorite thing or things about being out in the middle of the ocean by yourself?
Not being at work.
Solo sailors who have inspired you to do what you do?
Tristan Jones, Hal Wright, former SSSer Greg Morris, Mark Deppe
Future sailing plans or aspirations?
Just keep doing the same things, a few more Trans Pacs, more trips to Mexico and local racing.
Why do you think people are drawn to solo sailing?
The challenge.
And now for the rapid fire, stream of consciousness, quick response section of the questionnaire…
Hank on or Roller Furling? Hanks
Wheel or Tiller? Tiller
Fin or Full keel? Either, or… Old school Fin
Dacron or Kevlar? Kevlar
LED Tricolor or Deck mounted Kerosene Running Lights? Non LED Tricolor
Mast Steps or Ratlines? Climbing rig
Depth sounder or lead line? Both
Bucket or a well plumbed head? Head
Water or Whiskey? Water
Whiskey or Rum? Rum.
Rum or Kool Aid? Rum.
SSB or Sat Phone? SSB
Large meals or Steady Snacking? Snacking
Coffee or Tea? Coffee
Dodger or No Dodger? Dodger for Trans Pac
Autopilot or Windvane? Both or windvane
Traditional Boom Vang or Rigid BoomVang? Rigid
Fresh water or saltwater showers? Salt
Solar Panels or Wind generators? Solar
Three Strand or Spectra? Spectra

Last edited:

captainvt

Mark: This if I am correct, looking at your HIN, yours is a 1990 Ericson built by Pacific Seacraft......the information given to me by a boat broker in 2005 when I was looking for a 35-3 is the 35-3 modified by Pacific Seacraft.

A friend of mine had a 34-10......beautiful boat.....attention to detail...wiring...joinery......no comparison to my 35-3.....but since I never sailed on it that ends my information.......

Hope this is of some value to you.....

Apologies for wandering a bit from the original question,but I'm looking at two Ericsons (a) 1978 Ericson 35 MKii and (b) 1987 Ericson 34 (LOA 34'10). I'm curios re: Mort's comment regarding the 34-10 "....no comparisonto my 35-3". Is that a positive or negative comparison of the 35-3 to the 34-10? Why so?

Thanks.
<o:p></o>

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I think you missed on the "no comparison" thing... Nothing compares to the 35-2! The 35-3 and 34-10 are a lot closer in hull shape. The 35-2 was built to exploit a specific set of racing rules and did so so well that the rules got re writen. It 's stated stats are corect, but only when at the dock. That long boat with a short waterline disapears with a couple degrees of heal, and WAY more dramaticaly than the later generation of beemier boats to which the 35-3 and 34-10 belong.

Last edited:

Dave N

Member III
Question 1, yes. The boat moves very well in light air. We look forward to the 5 knot breeze days for the lazy effortless sailing. Question 2, the helm needs attention off the wind in seas, I believe the rudder is simply too small. Overall it is a great sailing boat. All boats are a compromise. One thing is for sure, if you find a good one that is nicely equipped, you get an awful lot of boat for the money.

Attachments

• DSC02274 (1280x721).jpg
    DSC02274 (1280x721).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0203-2c (1280x654).jpg
    IMG_0203-2c (1280x654).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
My comments on the 34-10

I can see where my comments could be confusing......

The WORKMANSHIP by Pacific Seacraft is by far superior to that of the old Ericson Yacht Company.......the same for the materials......the engine installation, the wood joinery.....all meant as a compliment to the boat......

Not wanting to stick my neck out further on the chopping block.......it my observation only from looking around the boat......each wire has its proper place....neatly fastened .......the tabbing of the bulkheads.......

All of the above the opposite of my 35-3......

Hope the rest of the 35-3 owners do not take this as a 35-3 put-down.....I love mine....it just does not compare in the areas I have mentioned......and it would be my guess (notice!!!!!I said "GUESS") that my 35-3 sails better than the 34-10.....

My last comments on the subject

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly in the "FWIW" dept, but by the time EY was constructing my 1988 Olson 34, ALL interior bulkheads and frp moldings/furnishings were tabbed to the hull and also the deck. Then they covered those long joinings with teak moldings, screwed and plugged.

(We have, over the decades, removed - temporarily - a lot of the headliner for maintenance and upgrades... put it all back with new staples when done each time, also.)

Loren