• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interested in E35 ii (1972) , advice needed light air / open water performance

Reefpoints

Member I
Hello, I'm an Ericson newbie here. There is an E35 that I am interested in buying. I would really appreciate your thoughts on a few questions from those of you who have experience with the mark ii. I'm on the Chesapeake and currently have a 28' IOR era performance boat (50% ballast / displacement ratio, and 18 SA/disp ratio). I don't race, but I like to keep moving at a reasonable pace and am not a fan of using the engine if I could be sailing.

My questions:

1. How well does the mkii sail in light winds? With decent sails, can she keep up 2.5 to 3 kts in about 5 kts of wind (reach, close reach, close hauled)? With an asymmetric or drifter, could she do 2.5+ knots downwind (very deep broad reach) on 5kts?

2. How well behaved is the mkii with following seas? My current boat is a real struggle with anything more than 2' following waves.

3. In the next couple of years (after some modifications) I would like to take a trip down the Chesapeake and out to Bermuda (and back). Is that too much to ask of this design? Is it stout enough for that level of offshore work?

I would really appreciate your thoughts; thanks in advance!

e38 owner

Member III
35 markII

The 35 mark 2 are great boats.
Way ahead of there time when designed and will take you where ever you want to go.

A good indication of performance especially with older boats is the phrf rating.
I believe a 35-II is about 168. A 35-3 rates about 120 almost the same as a 38. Significantly faster. Hours faster in light air not so much if it is blowing.

Goto us sailing and compare. It will give you a feel and starting place
http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content...Current Base Handicap Class Hi Lo Average.pdf

windjunkee

Member III
I have a 32-2. Identical design with slightly shorter waterline. I'm pretty sure the 35-2 sheets to the rail track, just like the 32 so you'll never point like the newer boats. In light conditions off the wind, we can sail well, probably at or above our rating (180). Off the wind when it starts to get a little heavier and we shine - long distance downwind sailing is our strength. We taken VOR off shore. We've raced to Puerto Vallarta and Guadalupe Island off of Mexico. We've taken her directly off shore more than 100 nm just about every year. We've never used her as a day sailer or coastal cruiser. Our limitation has been batteries, water storage and fuel (not so much for motoring as for recharging). In a blow, the 35 will be great. In super light, you'll drift, but we can get one knot out of two on a close reach and over 3 in 5 knots.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason
E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of our members here has solo raced his 35-2 to Hawaii. When he checks in he should have much useful information for you. His boat is also in the site splash screen rotation charging hard to weather....
:egrin:

Loren

Reefpoints

Member I
E38 owner, thanks for that link! I notice that the PHRF document breaks out a distinction between the E35-2 and E35-2SM. What is this SM version they reference?

I am very encouraged with what I am hearing here about this design.

Windjunkee, so you didn't find your 32-2 overly sloppy in following seas?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Random thoughts

E38 owner, thanks for that link! I notice that the PHRF document breaks out a distinction between the E35-2 and E35-2SM. What is this SM version they reference?

I am very encouraged with what I am hearing here about this design.

Windjunkee, so you didn't find your 32-2 overly sloppy in following seas?

IIRC, the basic info in a PHRF database is owner provided. A search of any region's database will show some odd variants in many different makes and models.
Perhaps a sailor was stating that his boat had a short mast (as opposed to a tall rig), maybe?
Another note: remember that the Ericson 35-1, the 35-2, and the 35-3 are completely different designs. That later two are designed by Bruce King, but come from different design era's.

The broader stern of the 35-2, was just one sign that the design was ahead of its time, IMHO.

Loren

bigtyme805

Member III
Ericson 35-2

If memory serves me right. The 35-2 was the Transpac winner from San Fran to Hawaii a few years back on correction. It was remarkable! The winds were light the entire time.
Quite a feat for an Ericson in this day of age.

Don

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Notes on the 35-2

Thinking about the 35 MK II and what a phenomenon it was for her time. My dad cites in his book that during one particularly nasty Ensenada race, they placed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in class, and 1,3,5 overall. Jack Holiday's Aquarius (hull #1) placed 1st overall in the 1971 Puerto Vallarta and La Paz races. I recently read a back issue of Motor Boating and Sailing where he talked about surfing big Pacific swells in 25 knots-pegging the knotmeter at 12 for hours on end and still able to pass boats at night in drifting conditions. I had the privilege of sailing on that boat on a couple of beer can races as a kid, and I can still vividly recall the experience some 30 years later.

Martin

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
The 35 mark 2 are great boats.
Way ahead of there time when designed and will take you where ever you want to go.

A good indication of performance especially with older boats is the phrf rating.
I believe a 35-II is about 168. A 35-3 rates about 120 almost the same as a 38. Significantly faster. Hours faster in light air not so much if it is blowing.

Goto us sailing and compare. It will give you a feel and starting place
http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content...Current Base Handicap Class Hi Lo Average.pdf

There is an E35-2 that races regularly in the Oregon Offshore and the PNW-PHRF rates it at 150. I believe it finished in the middle of its group last year, about 20 minutes behind a guy in our club whose boat rates 146, for a 180 mile race.

PHRF ratings can vary geographically and they are regularly (or are supposed to be) adjusted to reflect observed performance. Older boats can have very generous ratings (IMO 168 is generous for an E35-2) if the people racing them have not been keeping them up or are not serious racers.

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
Since we are talking about the various moldels of the E35, I have an E34, 34'10" wing keel. The hull # is ERY34304H990. Do I have a 35-2 or 35 MK II? Or just a regular E34? From reading the site there seems to be quite a few different variants of Ericsons in this size range.

Thanks
Mark

PDX

Member III
Yes. The 35-3 has a 35'6" LOA. The 1970s 35-2 is I believe 34'9". In terms of hull shape, foils, rig, yours is very similar to a 35-3. The 35-2 is a completely different design; lighter, shorter water line, smaller rig.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Book? What book? No sign of a book by any *relevant* Bruce King author on Amazon.

Yeah, he's still messing with it-and I'm helping a little with the post-pro on the photography. A few copies have been run off at my publisher.com and I think we are on the 4th or 5th iteration. He really needs to stop tweaking and find someone to publish it for real. I'll let you know when it's on Amazon.

Martin

windjunkee

Member III
Oh sorry. I failed to mention that I had the rudder modified in 2006. I had several square feet of area added. The rudder was narrowed and deepened. We had experienced some challenging driving down wind. This seemed to take care of much of the problem, though the stern is so narrow that it does tend to kick one way or the other as the swells come from behind. We're just used to her after all these years and my driving rules prohibit intentionally driving deeper than 160 after dark.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32
Redondo Beach, CA

steven

Sustaining Member
Love my E35-2. Was out yesterday in 12- 15kts apparent and chop. Had several no-sailing-experience guests board. Going to weather at hull speed with a 95% working jib and full main was effortless. Guests just sat there in the cockpit yakking and snacking like they were in a living room.

In light stuff I fly a 180% nylon jib. Moves the boat right along (could use an asymmetric to broad reach - but I'm too lazy - get almost the same result poling out the 180).

Haven't had her off shore, so cannot speak to that. Been on the Cheseapeake in conditions to upper 20s, and nasty short chop - no problems at all on any point of sail. Great balance. Comfortable motion. Easy to handle.

Jim is right about that the 32 and 35 rudders are on the small side. I have a E38 rudder.

--Steve

Mort Fligelman

Member III
34'10" Wing Keel Ericson

Mark: This if I am correct, looking at your HIN, yours is a 1990 Ericson built by Pacific Seacraft......the information given to me by a boat broker in 2005 when I was looking for a 35-3 is the 35-3 modified by Pacific Seacraft.

A friend of mine had a 34-10......beautiful boat.....attention to detail...wiring...joinery......no comparison to my 35-3.....but since I never sailed on it that ends my information.......

Hope this is of some value to you.....

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since we are talking about the various moldels of the E35, I have an E34, 34'10" wing keel. The hull # is ERY34304H990.
Do I have a 35-2 or 35 MK II? Or just a regular E34? From reading the site there seems to be quite a few different variants of Ericsons in this size range.

Thanks
Mark

We are wandering a bit from the question that started this thread, but......
It is an Ericson Yachts model 34. Many of us do refer to it as an E-34 -2 (or an E-34-200) to differentiate it from the completely different E-34 they built in the late 70's.
By the last several years until they closed up in '90, wing keels were offered as an option on many models.
When PSC bought the tooling for the E-32-200, the E-34 ("200"), and the E-38-200, they slightly changed the model name of some - just marketing stuff, though.

Loren

Last edited: