• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need to buy Diesel Engine

SAILSHIGH

Member III
All,

Over the winter my Atomic 4 had issues and I am in the market for a Diesel Engine to power my E29.

Anyone know where I can buy a good used Diesel?

What is the smallest horsepower engine I should use?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!!

Thank You,

PDX

Member III
What type of motoring do you do? In a situation where you are simply using the engine to get back and forth from the marina, and are protected from wind/current, you could probably get by with 12 hp. In the opposite situation, where you're doing a lot of motoring and deal with serious wind/current while motoring you might want to go up to something like a 21 hp Universal M25 (no longer in production but a ton of them were made). Universal (and Betamarine) advertise drop in replacements for the Atomic-4. Not sure what engine sizes exactly.

My boat (E30) came factory with a 12 hp gasoline engine. A prior owner had repowered with the Universal M25 and I thought it was a nice match.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would be reluctant to use anything less powerful than this model:
http://www.betamarinenc.com/index.php/engines/?next=6

Our stock 23 hp Universal (marinized Kubota short block, similar to the Beta engines) is plenty adequate in our 10600# displacement boat, and your E-29 is not too much lighter. It's a fairly big boat, considering it's stated length, IMHO.

As for used... knowing how ancient most engines are when replaced and how increasingly difficult it gets to source parts for older ones, I'd be quite cautious about trusting someone else's 30-year-old diesel that they chose to replace rather than rebuild. And then, equally old transmissions and control panels are -very- problematical as well.

I do not mean to be all doom-n-gloom, but when you go to the trouble and expense to re-power the last thing you want is a new list of expensive problems to solve. When penciling out a re-power, I would generally want a "ten year plan" for using that boat, so that a major upgrade would mostly amortize out. Modern engines are far more efficient than the old ones and they come with a VERY nice feature.... a Warranty. :)

Let us know how the decision process goes and what you decide.
There's probably more than one 'right answer' to this question.

Regards,
Loren

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Yanmar

I have a 93 Yanmar 2GM20F with 500 hrs. available. If you are interested send me a pm and I will give you more details and photos.

Lucky Dog

Member III
And going the other direction

Has your A4 always been in freshwater?
What year is it?
What is wrong?
Are you planning on getting rid of it?

mark

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Thanks you all

Loren....Always enjoy your input.. Not sure what the right answer is yet. Will go at least 20-25 HP. Thanks again!

PDX...Lake time in Oklahoma.. We do get substantial wind. So I will be staying in the same HP range.

Mark...Fresh water only...Rebuilt the carb, distributor, and fuel pump after the fall...Not sure what I am going to do with the engine..Its a original 1975 Atomic 4..Lost a freeze plug over the winter...Just ready for a diesel. EMAIL me sailshigh@cox.net I will let you know something when I decide to do it.

Afrakes...I will message you..Was this one on EBAY by chance? Was it in Salt Water ever?

Thanks everyone! Keep the responces coming!!

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I repowered my e27 with a beta 14 last year and that's plenty of engine. I would think the next model up would be suffiecient but i don't know how much heavier an e-29 is...

as far as drop in replacement, not really but it wasn't horrible either. I removed the old engine and cut out holes for the new one, SEA Marine in Port Townsend, WA did the rest. i don't have the cost in front of me but it was close to 14k all said and done. I was going from a YSM (diesel that someone had installed in place of the atomic) so you may have to budget more for tank or tank cleaning, etc...