• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder/Gudgeon problem on E 30-2

Evan001

Before I purchase an Ericson 30-2, I want to ask other owners if they have experience rudder problems. The lower pintle on the boat I am considering wobbles within its gudgeon, almost as if it needs a bushing. Has anyone had a similar experience? Can anyone offer advice? Thanks....Evan Koch

tripper_dave

Member II
There should be a bushing in the lower gudgeon.
We lost ours in a yard mishap when the boat tipped back off its cradle and the rudder snapped.
We were able to bend the gudgeon back into alignment before installing a new (and much improved) rudder that was built by Phil's Foils.
For the past two years we have lived with the rattle. The bushing needs an inside diameter of 1 inch with the outside being about 1 1/16" to 1"1/8".
I have been unable to find a match. Medium-wall 1" copper pipe appears to match the dimensions, but I have only been able to find a source that will sell me 12 foot lengths, I need 2 inches.
Last summer we sailed 2400 miles on the Down East Circle without the bushing with no problems. At night we have to lock the rudder over against one of the stops to prevent current or simple movement from producing an annoying rattle.

I would not let this stop you from purchasing a 30-2, they are a fantastic boat.

Evan001

Thanks for this information. Have you thought of fashioning a bushing from plastic?

We will pull the boat tomorrow and inspect it over the weekend. If you have any particular inspection advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards..Evan

tripper_dave

Member II
Thanks for this information. Have you thought of fashioning a bushing from plastic?

We will pull the boat tomorrow and inspect it over the weekend. If you have any particular inspection advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards..Evan

Check around the chain plates for moisture, other than that there really isn't any hidden problem. Their 35 years old, your surveyor should turn up any typical problems, good luck!