• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

USCG Documentation - Cert of Origin?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
For those of you up here in the PNW, you may recall Mark Reed and his E38 - having gone blue-water cruising some time ago. Well, he's on his way back in and is having an issue with the USCG and the origin of his boat.

Apparently the PO of his boat never filed a Certificate of Origin or Manufacturer's Certificate when they documented the boat - and now on his way back into the US, they (Customs) wants him to prove it, else pay a hefty import tax (yes, BC Canadians, I know you face this all the time - the very reason my boat was up at Pt. Roberts for nearly 10 years...).

:esad:

My question is - what approach have any of you taken with respect to an issue like this? I've offered to assist them, but wanted to know what the group-think was on this issue before I start bugging the USCG...

:nerd:

Anyone?

//sse

Guy Stevens

Certificate of origin issues

The only way that I know that you can get one is if you can get ahold of the original factory.... Which makes some problems.......

Don Koleman (sp?) gave me one for each of my Ericsons the last one technically after they had already been out of business a few years. I have no idea how you go about it now.

However this is a complete joke as they could look the boat up and know that it is US Documented, and has been since xx date. The other thing is that there were NO Ericsons made out of the country (the mexican hulls didn't count as being manufactured out of the country).

However dealing with bureaucrats, a group of people who only exist to say no and make everything hard for everyone around them never involves intelligence.

Don and Gene could both sign off as they were there for the whole thing, how to go about getting ahold of them is beyond me.

Guy
:)

Guy Stevens

Try calling Don Kholman

I think you might just might be able to find Don at:

Nordhavn Yachts Northwest
Boat Dealer
Address

2601 W Marina Pl Ste S
Seattle, Washington 98199

Phone (206) 223-3624

don.kohlmann AT nordhavn.com

He is still technically there according to the Nordhaven web site.

Great person should be able to help you out!

Last edited: