• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thelonious in hawaii

Clarice

Member I
Congrats to you and Thelonious, Hope your voyage was all you hoped. Looking forward to hearing about it.
Janet and Mike

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Awesome!

I've only traveled at sea that far underwater under nuclear power. Congratulations to you!

Steve Pretti
E32-III #711 Glory Days

Fparry

Member II
I am simply amazed. Not that Christian was able to achieve such a feat. He is, after all, an able seaman with a lifetime of sailing experience. I am amazed that more of us aren't totally captivated by his completion of a dream which many of us share in a boat which we all love.

Congratulations on your amazing journey.

BTW, how are you getting back? If you need crew let me know.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am simply amazed. Not that Christian was able to achieve such a feat. He is, after all, an able seaman with a lifetime of sailing experience. I am amazed that more of us aren't totally captivated by his completion of a dream which many of us share in a boat which we all love.

Congratulations on your amazing journey.

BTW, how are you getting back? If you need crew let me know.

I suspect that many of us are somewhere between enthusiastic admiration and maybe a bit of inwardly-baleful contemplation of how our own sailing dreams are of such limited scope in comparison. :egrin:

15 or 20 years ago, I used to dream of taking (with crew!) our boat down to SF and then over to HA. After all, that particular voyage is pretty much built into the DNA of an O-34. I now see that while the passage of time has not removed that option, the percentage chance of it happening is low and decreasing.
So, Fred has really captured my feelings in more concise wording, and I'm remiss in not sooner adding a heartfelt "plus one" to his post.

Aside: while touring the Islands on a Princess cruise ship this last February, we stopped for a day in Nawiliwili. That huge 900' vessel was tied to a dock and beyond that was what appeared to be a yacht harbor. I was not feeling well and had opted out of the available shore excursions. That little port was very industrial, IIRC. I should note that more waterline really makes a difference! At 21 kts, it takes the ship four days to get to the Islands. :)

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I suspect that many of us are somewhere between enthusiastic admiration and maybe a bit of inwardly-baleful contemplation of how our own sailing dreams are of such limited scope in comparison. :egrin:

15 or 20 years ago, I used to dream of taking (with crew!) our boat down to SF and then over to HA. After all, that particular voyage is pretty much built into the DNA of an O-34. I now see that while the passage of time has not removed that option, the percentage chance os it is low and decreasing.
So, Fred has really captured my feelings in more concise wording, and I'm remiss in not sooner adding a heartfelt "plus one" to his post.

Aside: while touring the Islands on a Princess cruise ship this last February, we stopped for a day in Nawiliwili. That huge 900' vessel was tied to a dock and beyond that was what appeared to be a yacht harbor. I was not feeling well and had opted out of the available shore excursions. That little port was very industrial, IIRC. I should note that more waterline really makes a difference! At 21 kts, it takes the ship four days to get to the Islands. :)

Regards,
Loren

Agreed....lol

Now, my wife will get tired of me when I say, "I know a guy who sailed this same hull over 2000 miles to Hawaii. Don't worry about sailing a mere 600 across the Gulf"!

It's an Ericson 32 dammit!

I want want to hear about the lines and winches.........:cartmann:

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Awesome job

I kept looking for the arrival post. Really pumped for you Christian! Can't wait to here a more detailed account once you get rested up and take care of that old girl.

Rob

Eric B

Learning
Already in Hawaii!

Twenty days. Now refitting Nawiliwili. Harder on boat than me. Sails, winches, lines. No inet conn at moment. although I havent seen it, I'm told noon position reports can be viewed here with global earth

http://olmsteadwilliams.com/christian.html

Regards,
C

Shoots! Wish I had been watching recently to see that you were heading this way, maybe we could have gotten together. I'm one of the few and far between E32-3's around here at the Ala Wai Harbor in Honolulu.

Love all your entries and pictures and projects.

Anyway, glad you made it here safely. What a trip! It should be fair winds and following seas all the way back.

Take good care,

Eric Gold

:egrin: