• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3. Leaks on Coach Roof Starboard - HELP !

jfibla

I traced the problem on these pages and two different ideas are commented as origin of the problem. Dorade Vents / Handrails, and always on starboard.

Tom Trimmer (on 12/22/2000) used epoxy to seal the inside of the dorades and storage box. However, he commented also that the problem was not completely fixed.

Can someone with previous experience summarize where was the ORIGIN OF THE LEAK and the BEST SOLUTION TO FIX?Coach Roof Leak.jpg

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I traced the problem on these pages and two different ideas are commented as origin of the problem. Dorade Vents / Handrails, and always on starboard.

Tom Trimmer (on 12/22/2000) used epoxy to seal the inside of the dorades and storage box. However, he commented also that the problem was not completely fixed.

Can someone with previous experience summarize where was the ORIGIN OF THE LEAK and the BEST SOLUTION TO FIX?

The only way to know for sure where your leak is coming from is to do a leak test. One way is to buy a roll of brown paper and lay it in the cabin. When a drop of water hits it will leave a mark. Have someone top sides with a hose. You may have to remove the headliner to look as well.

Once you've located the source, then you can find plenty of help here on how to repair it.

Possible leak areas include: The vents, mast boot, chainplates, any deck hardware, ports or handrails.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I used to know a sailor that found some small and persistent cabin leaks with the "air pressurization" scheme.
He closed all ports and vents, taped some plastic or just tape over hatch slider, boards, etc.... and then applied air pressure to the inside of the boat with a shop vac hose. IIRC he replaced one hatch board with a plywood board with a hole for the vac hose.
Once the obvious exits were sealed up, he sprayed soapy water on it and watched for (and found) little bubbles appearing around parts that looked well-sealed but were not.

If doing this, I would use a tape that removes cleanly like 3M Blue, and avoid "duct tape" with its problem of leaving glue residue behind.

Way out ideas supplied, on sale today, only 2 cents @.....
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Emerald

And I'll throw out another way, even though not as cool as Loren's. Dust with talcum powder, especially those sloping and vertical surfaces, and look for the caked up spots.

Also, I don't know what it is, but I've had stuff not leak with a hose on it, and then comes a rain shower and leaks. I guess it's all about direction and wind hitting the right/wrong thing.

jfibla

I founded the leak coming from starboard dorade

The leak is coming 85% from starboard dorade and 15% from central box.

Following recomendations from these pages I am going to seal with fiberglass and resin the complete interior of dorade and tool box.

To be continued.

jfibla

Leak fixed

Box Drain.jpgIMG_0508.jpg

After smoothing with fiberglass and resin all the corners and joints on the starboard dorade and tool box, the leak is fixed.

However when I drill a small hole for dorade drain the leak show again.

I drill after testing for no leaks one small hole on the pointed arrow (joined photo) to connect the inside of the dorade with the pre-existing drain hole and the leak show again.
I cover the hole with resin, and made a new drain hole just on the frame of the plastic dorade cover. Now the leak is fixed and there is drain on the dorade box.

Regarding this last incident looks like the leak was from the starboard joint between the starboard dorade and the deck only.

Thanks again for all contributors help.

Last edited: