• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30-2 Owners

pdjmontgomery

Manual

Many thanks bidd14 for the advice on the Manual. Will check thT out

Hi pdjmontgomery, welcome. Ericson is no longer in business. I have not seen a manual for the 30+. But, check the downloads section of this site under E28, and download that manual. It seems pretty close to the 30+.

bigtyme805

Member III
30-2

My son just purchased a 30-2 named Wanderer in Ventura. Crazy price so we gave our blessings since we previously owned a 30+. This one will need some interior TLC. Has a wheel which caught me off guard, probably after market. What caught my attention was the cracking on the hull which never was followed up on. He did not have survey as the price was ridiculously low. Plus we can fix most things. Any info on this model would be great. Experienced with Outboard rudders as my 272 has one, so Gudgeons and Pintels are part of my language. Lol. He should learn a great deal bringing this boat back to life. Thanks for any advice on this 30-2. Will try and get hull number and any other pertinent info on this vessel. Still has original A4, which still runs.

captainic

Member I
30-2

My son just purchased a 30-2 named Wanderer in Ventura. Crazy price so we gave our blessings since we previously owned a 30+. This one will need some interior TLC. Has a wheel which caught me off guard, probably after market. What caught my attention was the cracking on the hull which never was followed up on. He did not have survey as the price was ridiculously low. Plus we can fix most things. Any info on this model would be great. Experienced with Outboard rudders as my 272 has one, so Gudgeons and Pintels are part of my language. Lol. He should learn a great deal bringing this boat back to life. Thanks for any advice on this 30-2. Will try and get hull number and any other pertinent info on this vessel. Still has original A4, which still runs.

Hi Don,
While looking for something else, I saw your post from last summer. I am not sure if you are referring to cracking on your son's hull, or to a post I made about a crack on my E30-2 a couple years ago. If you were referring to your son's hull, I would be interested to find out what kind of crack you developed and reason if any found. If you were referring to my old post, I thought I had followed up on this thread about the repair but can't find that post ...I am not very savvy with bulletin boards, so maybe it never posted or I just can't find it. Basically I had the hull professionally fixed from outside and inside, with the job monitored by a licensed surveyor all during the repair. In his final report the surveyor wrote the repair made the boat stronger than new, so as you said most things can be fixed. I have been sailing ever since without problems, often in strong 25+ winds typical of the Bay Area and Gulf of the Farallones. I absolutely love this boat, and in high winds it handles beautifully, better than my friend's 30+ (as you must know with same hull but a spade rudder, tall fractional rig, and traveler above the companionway). The combination of the transom-hung rudder, shorter rig and cockpit-mounted traveler seems to give the E30-2 much less weather helm than the E30+ in high winds. It tracks great. Anyway, best of luck with the restoration project ... you are probably done by now!
Fair winds

Dmusgrave

1979 Ericson 30-2 in Connecticut

I just purchased a 1979 Ericson 30-2 in Portland, CT. It has been converted to wheel steering. I am missing a mainsail so if anyone has an extra one, I am interested.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
sails and wheels

I just purchased a 1979 Ericson 30-2 in Portland, CT. It has been converted to wheel steering. I am missing a mainsail so if anyone has an extra one, I am interested.

There are used sail chandlers, and other owners here should be able to point you towards one. Or, check into a new dacron sail.
As for the "wheel conversion" - Yikes - don't let anyone talk you out of converting back to the tiller. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Ericson Yacht (digital) Harbor!

LB

ps: do attach some boat pix to your album here. That's a pretty design.

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Member II
Bumping a old thread. Hows the 30-2 fleet doing? You all still sailing quite a bit? Also curious to how many are still in the water at this point.

captainic

Member I
Still sailing strong here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Also in the process of fully rebuilding a Yanmar 3GMF to replace my under-powered YSM12 for more extended coastal cruising. Greetings and Fair Winds!

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Auggie,
My Discovery is a 1983 E30+ currently in Rhode Island. There are a few E30 owners still on the board here. Unfortunately, I know of one 1982 E-30 that was de-masted this year and ended up in a Connecticut salvage yard. I will be discussing my rub rail replacement at the April Virtual meeting April 22nd (see banner on front page for details).

Mark "Souleman" Soule

DLM-E30

Ericson 30 Mark II - Hull # 1

View attachment 12177 Hull #1 was the original Show Boat. She was also the boat featured in the manufacturers brochure for this model. My father acquired this boat as the first owner after it was done making the rounds for the manufacturer. He named her Windsprinter. He owned her until he passed away in 1991. It was then given to me by his widow and I kept her for another few years and eventually sold it. She was kept in Marina Del Rey, CA. We raced her frequently in the PHRF races at MDR. I enjoyed this boat a great deal. She was sailed to San Diego, Oceanside, Dana Point, Catalina and Marina Del Rey. I don't know where the boat is now... last I heard she was in Ventura, CA.
Yes, she is still in Ventura. I know the Owner, and am going to restore it with him.

DLM-E30

I've got a few questions, maybe some of you could answer:

#1) Did the 30-2 have a holding tank? If so where is it? My plumbing goes to a Y valve, one side goes to the pumpout deck plate, the other goes direct to sea. This is hull #1, so I suppose they may have omitted it to get the boat done in time for the Boat Shows. If they never had a holding tank, I'd be interested to see how and where owners may have solved that problem.

#2) Does anybody know the manufacturer of the deadlights and portlight? I was hoping to track down replacement rubber for them.

#3) does anybody have a lead on replacement rubber for the rubrail?

Thanks,

Dan McCarty
8O5 79 one 85 86

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like California law was just being written:

All boats built since 1977 with installed toilets must have an operable approved type MSD [Marine Sanitation Device]. Since1980, all boats (including those built before 1977) with installed toilets must have an operable MSD

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Your hull and layout is very similar to the 30+ looking at saildata.com site. My holding tank is under the V-berth adjacent the forward bulkhead of the head. It's a rectangular shape and holds 18 gallons. The rub rail source I used was Wefco, in CA who has the Ericson profiles/molds. http://www.wefcorubber.com/