• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuck in foward

rickcrane

My e27 is stuck in forward. I had a problem with the shifter coming out of forwrd so i got the shifter into forward and it is stuck there. Any thoughts The motor is an a4
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
Can you shift gears at the motor end of the shift cable? There is a long lever where the cable attaches. I'd start there.

Paul
E29 "bear"

Emerald

Make sure the sheath the cable is in is not sliding in it's clamp, and as mentioned, see if you can shit it by hand. It may be necessary to disconnect the cable from the shift lever to do this.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
As stated above, try the shifter on the starboard side of the tranny and see if the cable is the problem or the tranny. If the tranny is the problem and cable is free to move. Consider the below info.

The forward gear is a direct drive clutch, the pressure plate is a manual finger actuation the fingers ride up on a cone and snap into a groove to hold in gear, IF the tranny was not staying in gear the adjustment could be to tight and the fingers not able to get in the grove to hold forward gear, You may have finally forced the cone forward enough to get the fingers in the grove and if too tight the fingers don't want to slip out of the grove. This adjustment is very sensitive and one notch can be more adjustment than ideal. FYI reverse is engaged by a band and is activated by a wedge that the shifter moves to tighten the band and there is no detent to hold the tranny in reverse. IF you need to do the adjustment on the tranny be very careful the screw that holds the adjuster ring should not be over tightened as this can break the carrier for the clutch hub also only move the ring one notch at a time.

CaptDan

Member III
I once made the mistake of UNDER tightening that set screw. The damn thing flew out, causing the clutch stack to launch rearward while I was backing out of the slip. No reverse; no forward - easily a '10' on the Pucker Scale. and a frustratingly long day reassembling the mess. :0

On a related note - and apologies for the thread swerve (but it is somewhat related) - has anyone with an A4 successfully upgraded the shift arm? I'm referring to the unit located just aft of the transmission in the bilge. After 36 years of salt water and grime, mine has frozen solid in vertical position. I'm in process of de-rusting and removing the unit for cleaning and maybe - upgrading/building something better. Impressive as it is the crude design has lasted this long, it's ANYTHING but smooth operating. Is there a better mouse trap?

Any thoughts welcome.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited: