• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wheel feels sticky while underway

Brian

While I'm underway in my E29 it feels like my rudder is sticky. At the dock it feels free and easy but after a particularly big run in front of a twenty knot blow and accompanying seas all of the sudden it feels like something is wrong. Everything looks fine at the top of the rudder post where the wheel steering assembly all attaches, nothing seems out of the ordinary. I'm not sure exactly where to start with the troubleshooting and repair. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

clp

Member III
Brian, have you tried greasing the rudder post? There should be a grease fitting, (Zerk), right where the post starts through the floor. Maybe the heat from use combined with salt water causing it to need fresh grease.
That was a stupid guess about the salt water, but I would investigate the grease fitting.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you have wheel steering (ie. not tiller) then you could also oil the chain in the top of the pedestal, as well as a bit of oil on the cables at the quadrant. Finally you could check the bushings in the wheels under the cockpit where the cables run before they get to the quadrant to ensure they are not worn. But greasing the rudder post as mentioned in the previous post is a good start.

Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does the rudder actually seem to "jam" from time to time? Make sure the cables are not jumping off the idlers. This would show as wear marks or grooves within the assembly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When this has come up in the past, several owners have commented that they found some long-ignored zerk(s) under the cockpit, on the frp tube that carries the rudder shaft.
I know that our boat has more than one underneath and it takes some serious pretzel-izing to get my old bones back in there with a grease gun!

All too often, the prior owner(s) failed to ever do this bit of maintenance. :mad:

Loren

Brian

So far no good...

Thanks all for the replies. I have since located a rusted shut zerk above the cockpit sole and replaced it. I gave it some grease. I also lubed the wheel workings under there. I pulled off the compass and inspected the brake that locks the helm. All looked fine and absolutely nothing made a difference. I found I could get the problem to show up while in the slip by running the motor in forward. The prop wash applies enough force to the rudder to make it stick. It gets stickier the farther left or right I turn the wheel, which is what I noticed underway as well. I'm wondering if I hit something. It did start acting up pretty suddenly. Maybe my insurance will cover it.

EGregerson

Member III
zerk

if u found one above the cockpit sole, i'm thinking there should be another down the rudder log, below the water line, hard to see/get at.

Brian

Figured it out!

Finally, after doing everything I could think of and sailing anyway and occasionally encountering the problem, I think I solved it. Having pulled the compass for the fourth time to inspect everything, I noticed a groove in the wheel shaft. Turns out the linkage for the transmission was rubbing on the shaft when the trans was engaged in forward. The cable goes through the cockpit locker I use for stowing sails and I think in the big seaway I was in when it all started some gear shifted onto the cable and pulled it outboard. This corresponded wih the linkage moving slightly inboard and pressing against the shaft. I pulled it all apart and adjusted the strut that holds the trans cable and put it all back together and I've got just a bit more clearance now. Looks like I'll be ok. Thanks all for the helpful advice. I'm so glad this was a simple fix. Well, simple after a couple of months of worrying and pulling my hair out and trial and error anyway. Come on winter winds!