• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Crack in Keel

WKNK

Hi guys - I need some advice. I recently bought a 1981 E38, and just found it has a 9 inch crack in the keel (at the stern). It's not a wide crack - just a small crack. For about half an inch, you can barely see light thru it. My question is twofold: a) do I dare use the boat in the 3 weeks before I can have it hauled for repair, and b) after repair, will it be "good as new"? I assume they use epoxy or such to fix it.....
I had some fairly major plans lined up for this weekend, so I am hoping to get some sage advice prior to that. Thank you all!!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Keel crack

I can't tell from your post if the crack is horizontal along the "fillet", or joint where the keel butts up against the stub, or if is vertical, down the trailing edge.

If it is the first, and there is NO water leaking around the keel bolts, then a few short days of sailing should be fine, but don't put a lot of load on the rig(if you have a backstay adjuster), and I would only go out in mellow weather.

When you haul, you need to see if the back end of the keel is actiually drooping. If so, you will need to re-tighten the keel bolts-especially the rear ones. If it is not drooping, then it will just be a matter of filling it in.

If it is a vertical crack, it is just filler that has come off-the keel is solid lead. This definitely can wait.
Good luck!