• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show us your recent Ericson photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Nice video, Jeff!

How well does your mainsail lashing system work? Home made or something you bought?

--Alan

Oh, your talking about the "Centipede"? Funny you should ask. I've been using that system for years now. At first I purchased one at West Marine about 11 years ago. The bungie cord does lose it's elasticity every 3 or 4 years. So I started making my own. I just buy more cord and re use the wood toggles. I used zip ties to attach the old toggles and make new loops. Then I have to melt the bitter ends. It is a bit time consuming to make a new one every few years. So this is why it's funny you ask, just last week I ordered a new one from West Marine for $35.99. Feeling lazy this time.

It works really well for me. Rather than having to bring sail ties up topsides after I drop the main, these are always ready to go. Great for a single hander like myself. I think they only sell them on line now. I should get it this week.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brite--sail-lash-centipede--4480380

Attachments

• 4480380.jpg
    4480380.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 520

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Went out for a weekend on the bay. Overnight in Sausalito and the a nice sail back.

Beautiful boat, Guy, and a lot of it! I actually crewed on a E-46 once. We had really light winds that day. Probably a good thing. The running aft stays took some getting used to.

Fparry

Member II
small world the boat is slipped next to mine

I actually remember your boat as I mentioned the fact that an Ericson was at the marina to our Captain. Other than the village of Watkins Glenn, which I am quite familiar with, the marina wasn't very impressive. I am guessing that it is a low bid municipal operation. I have a hard time imagining docking a 33' boat on a 10' slip.

Guy Stevens

Was it the original mast

Beautiful boat, Guy, and a lot of it! I actually crewed on a E-46 once. We had really light winds that day. Probably a good thing. The running aft stays took some getting used to.

Running backs in light airs? That is strange. In general on all of them that I have seen the runners only come out when you are flying the staysail in heavy weather. Then the weather has to be pretty heavy.

Guy

Attachments

• 100_3963.jpg
    100_3963.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 594

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Running backs in light airs? That is strange. In general on all of them that I have seen the runners only come out when you are flying the staysail in heavy weather. Then the weather has to be pretty heavy.

Guy

Well that's what the Skipper had us do. He used to be a regular on this site. Mick Jagger told me to never drop names. ;)

Last edited:

senecadaze

Member I
I actually remember your boat as I mentioned the fact that an Ericson was at the marina to our Captain. Other than the village of Watkins Glenn, which I am quite familiar with, the marina wasn't very impressive. I am guessing that it is a low bid municipal operation. I have a hard time imagining docking a 33' boat on a 10' slip.

Well I guess im glad its the marina your dissin on and not my Ericson but really? not impressive?
Fixed pier docks with water,elec.Tenant bathrooms and showers, village marina bar and grill with live music every weekend.For where we are located (landlocked) I am satisfied.
as far as docking, I have watched him several times without incident,and I do alright with my beamy 9'3" 25 foot boat,i suppose maybe it makes us better sailors

Attachments

• imagesD5O8BP8C.jpg
    imagesD5O8BP8C.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 578
  • imagesJXXGO9AC.jpg
    imagesJXXGO9AC.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 578
  • 10500294_10204430278783786_7824802560001030082_n.jpg
    10500294_10204430278783786_7824802560001030082_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 67

Fparry

Member II
Well I guess im glad its the marina your dissin on and not my Ericson but really? not impressive?
Fixed pier docks with water,elec.Tenant bathrooms and showers, village marina bar and grill with live music every weekend.For where we are located (landlocked) I am satisfied.
as far as docking, I have watched him several times without incident,and I do alright with my beamy 9'3" 25 foot boat,i suppose maybe it makes us better sailors

I would never dis an Ericson. We perhaps just had a bad experience there or perhaps I am spoiled as I am located at perhaps the best marina on Lake Ontario (imho)

First we had to have the mast stepped in Geneva as there were no marina personal available to do it at the south end. We called ahead to ask where our berth would be so as to properly place the lines and fenders. The new owner was to be waiting at the dock and we wanted everything to go smoothly. We called again just outside of the marina to confirm. As we made the last turn to dock a marina employee motioned us to another spot and everything had to be changed at the very last minute. Unloading the boat I asked about the use of a dock cart and was told there was one behind the restaurant. It was full of wet bags of smelly garbage. I mentioned this to the marina employee and he laughed. I saw no humor in it as we made at least 10 trips up and down the dock hauling our stuff to the car. I asked how much dockage cost and was amazed at how much more expensive it was than our home marina. All in all just a bad experience. I was happy to see your Ericson next door though.

If you get a chance come up to Fair Haven sometime and go out with me on the big lake. We have 3 Ericsons at our small marina.

Fparry

Member II
Sailing my 32-200 back from Oswego, NY

South shore of Lake Ontario. Friends S2 in the background.
The second picture was at the dock in Clayton, NY. Checking into customs after returning from Canada.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Fparry

Member II
I recently scored this fine clock and barometer set from Craigslist. I had been searching for a while due to the fact that a previous owner had at some point removed a similar set. The filled holes in the bulkhead continually drove me crazy. From the hole pattern I think the first set was Chelsea. This set is made by Schatz. Perhaps not Chelsea quality but very nice and about four thousand dollars less expensive which goes a long way in explaining why the originals never made it to the sale. My boat is reaching perfection in an esoteric sort of way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 490
Status
Not open for further replies.