• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show us your recent Ericson photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I recently scored this fine clock and barometer set from Craigslist. I had been searching for a while due to the fact that a previous owner had at some point removed a similar set. The filled holes in the bulkhead continually drove me crazy. From the hole pattern I think the first set was Chelsea. This set is made by Schatz. Perhaps not Chelsea quality but very nice and about four thousand dollars less expensive which goes a long way in explaining why the originals never made it to the sale. My boat is reaching perfection in an esoteric sort of way.

I've been looking for years! Great find Fred!:)

MarcusJtown

Member II
Marcus,

That's a beautiful shot! It would look great in a frame on the wall.

Yeah it is. I passed that along to the Photographer. I'm trying to get a hi-res file from her to print. I'll tell you what, on the light nights, it sure is nice to have that big masthead chute!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
A sail from Santa Cruz to Monterey a couple of weeks ago. Asymetrical unfurled and a little jib unfurled. It was a beautiful sail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 690

Dave N

Member III
this weekend

It is August already, the season is slip sliding away.

Attachments

• DSC02269b (1024x577).jpg
    DSC02269b (1024x577).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02274 (1024x577).jpg
    DSC02274 (1024x577).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 75

Dave N

Member III
Marks' 25 sailing into Rileys' Bay, where we spent the night.

Attachments

• DSC02253 (1024x577).jpg
    DSC02253 (1024x577).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02259 (1024x577).jpg
    DSC02259 (1024x577).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 67

Sailsteve

Some more of Glory Days

More of Glory days in the water....

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 74

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
August 2014 down the WA coast

Crew and friend Steve just emailed this to me. Looking aft during the afternoon, with building seas of about 4'. Starting to surf to 9 and then 10.5 kts.
Sunny day followed by a star-covered night, with 24 kts true from behind us.

Just rocking' and rollin' along, and likely about ten miles off the coast.

Flag looks undignified, but it was starting to fray until I "furled" it around the radar post.

Other picture not a lot different, but Larry is -almost- in it!
:)

Loren

Attachments

• O34 trip home building seas.jpg
    O34 trip home building seas.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 107
  • O34 home bound.jpg
    O34 home bound.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Fparry

Member II
Luna and Sales Office on the south shore of Lake Ontario this past weekend. Sales Office is a Catalina.

Attachments

• 10612681_10202773030111424_3348121879008228309_n 2.jpg
    10612681_10202773030111424_3348121879008228309_n 2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 562

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, is that you at the helm in your photos?

Yup. Gotta brag a little-- boat steers easily off the wind in those seas. Photos do not do justice to the wave heights, but they never do....
This was, however, the first time we've had any water surging (some -- not too much) back up through the cockpit drains. Our stern wave would catch up with the transom and engulf the drain outlets and the exhaust.
This was when the the water speed was in the high tens and the gps chart plotter SOG was over 12.

Fun stuff!

:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Yup. Boat steers easily off the wind in those seas. Photos do not do justice to the wave heights, but they never do....
This was, however, the first time we've had any water surging (some -- not too much) back up through the cockpit drains. The waves would catch up with the transom and engulf the drain outlets and the exhaust.
This was when the the water speed was in the high tens and the gps chart plotter SOG was over 12.

Fun stuff!

:egrin:

Loren

Looks like a brisk day too!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Loren,

Is that a running back stay on the right of the frame of the picture? If so, how do you tension it? Also, what does it attach to on the mast?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Runners!

Loren,

Is that a running back stay on the right of the frame of the picture? If so, how do you tension it? Also, what does it attach to on the mast?

Ha! Leave it to a guy with an E-33RH (with runners) to catch that little detail! :)

Our tall rig does have factory runners (perhaps more accurately termed ''check stays"?). They go to a ball terminal fitting on each side of the upper spar, above the upper spreader. Our upper portion was wire from the factory but I had them both replaced with hi-tech line as a part of the rig replacement in '02. Tails are still fat line, led thru swivel blocks on each side deck just in front of each stern mooring cleat and thence up a little ways to the secondary winch.

Never used on local waters, and only in the ocean to prevent possible pumping forward when jamming into big seas (and we certainly did that... on the way to the Rendezvous while crossing the Columbia bar on the end of a rough ebb.)
Trivia note: Olson 34 shrouds are parallel with single lowers -- no double lowers like most (all?) of the BK-designed Ericson's.

Now the runner tails are removed and stored, along with the flat jack-lines... and the spare yellow diesel cans are back home. All badges of "blue water honor" are gone.:rolleyes:
The upper "runners" are tied off to each shroud base.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Thanks, Loren! My E 33 RH should have R.B.S.s, but it didn't come with them. It is one of a long list of upgrades needed before serious offshore sailing, though it has been fine for our sometimes boisterous Santa Barbara Channel without them. No mast pumping has been seen even in rolly and high wind conditions. I don't think I have ever sailed DDW in 24 knots with a 4 foot following sea, though. Close to it, but not quite.

You are dead right about the picture, BTW. It cannot do justice to the power of the sea.

Fparry

Member II
Luna on the Lake this past weekend.

A nice shot of Luna this past weekend on Lake Ontario.

Attachments

• 10570296_10203012487016534_8022793729147554761_n 2.jpg
    10570296_10203012487016534_8022793729147554761_n 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 701
Status
Not open for further replies.