• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Considering bid to save impounded E-36C - Need experienced advice ASAP

dchemist

Aloha, I need some help deciding to bid on a E-36C this week(last week May, 2014), although answers will help me and others later than that.

Background:

I just started looking for a comfortable 30-38 footer able to sail inter-island in Hawaiian waters, and perhaps beyond. I came across ERY36XX1M76B. She was impounded and is up for auction. If not auctioned, she'll be demolished . I do need to make a good decision on how much, if anything to bid. She has dry-wood (flying) termite damage on the floor below decks (sole?), and the v birth benches are destroyed by termite damage. The helm (wheel) is missing. The engine and bilge seem good, and the hull seems sound. Sails look OK, but I have only seen them furled. I'm getting another 1 hr viewing tomorrow (May 28), and plan to see the sails and look closer at the rigging. I feel I can deal with some cabinet work, and know several cabinetmakers/finish carpenters. Bidding is Friday May 30.

Help, please help me with any or all of the questions below:

• Based on the hull id, is this Hull #1 Ericson 36C 1976?
  • Does removal and replacement of the cabin floor require removal of the benches, bulkheads, walls, etc.?
  • Any suggestions / info on replacing the refrigeration system?
  • what size wheel is best, or what size range for the helm, and are destroyed style wheels a good choice?
  • What else should I be inspecting carefully based either on high cost / difficulty or on weak points of this boat design?
  • What is a typical sailing speed in 10-25 kts wind? Motoring speed?
  • How does this boat handle at all points of sailing and motor sailing? How well does it point?
  • How well does it handle seas at different points of sail?
  • What questions should I be asking that I have omitted?

Thank you (Mahalo),

David

P.S. Anyone providing assistance with these questions, provided I get the boat, is invited to sail her with me in Hawaii :).

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
My Advice?

We completely replaced the sole in our boat. We did not need to remove the cabinets or benches. Not sure about that vintage but ours has the fiberglass grid underneath.

I would spend that hour with a surveyor looking over the boat. Go in with a budget in mind that you are willing to invest to have this boat (including estimated costs for the necessary repairs).

If you have the passion, time and money combined with an affordable bid, go for it.

dchemist

Great advice, will do if I purchase

That is great advice. I agree, but qualified marine surveyors in my area are not available until after the auction. If I do get the boat, I will have a full survey done for maintenance and safety reasons, especially here, where 1 mile out is open ocean.

Aloha, I need some help deciding to bid on a E-36C this week(last week May, 2014), although answers will help me and others later than that.

Background:

I just started looking for a comfortable 30-38 footer able to sail inter-island in Hawaiian waters, and perhaps beyond. I came across ERY36XX1M76B. She was impounded and is up for auction. If not auctioned, she'll be demolished . I do need to make a good decision on how much, if anything to bid. She has dry-wood (flying) termite damage on the floor below decks (sole?), and the v birth benches are destroyed by termite damage. The helm (wheel) is missing. The engine and bilge seem good, and the hull seems sound. Sails look OK, but I have only seen them furled. I'm getting another 1 hr viewing tomorrow (May 28), and plan to see the sails and look closer at the rigging. I feel I can deal with some cabinet work, and know several cabinetmakers/finish carpenters. Bidding is Friday May 30.

Help, please help me with any or all of the questions below:

• Based on the hull id, is this Hull #1 Ericson 36C 1976?
  • Does removal and replacement of the cabin floor require removal of the benches, bulkheads, walls, etc.?
  • Any suggestions / info on replacing the refrigeration system?
  • what size wheel is best, or what size range for the helm, and are destroyed style wheels a good choice?
  • What else should I be inspecting carefully based either on high cost / difficulty or on weak points of this boat design?
  • What is a typical sailing speed in 10-25 kts wind? Motoring speed?
  • How does this boat handle at all points of sailing and motor sailing? How well does it point?
  • How well does it handle seas at different points of sail?
  • What questions should I be asking that I have omitted?

Thank you (Mahalo),

David

P.S. Anyone providing assistance with these questions, provided I get the boat, is invited to sail her with me in Hawaii :).

dchemist

Does anyone know history ofHIN# ERY36XX1M76B

If someone knows this boat located in Honolulu, please share what you know, private messages are welcome. The boat name is "New Leif"
Thanks,
David

Whats the name/port on the boat? Somebody here might know something about it.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How many boats have you looked at? You're not seriously considering buying a boat and then seeing what you bought, are you?

Are you brand new to this?

Maybe I've got it wrong, but urgency should be no part of this procedure.

Look, nobody wanted this boat. It didn't sell. It is very old. At a guess it will take $20,000 and two years to make it safe for passage between any two Hawaiian islands. If you do the work.

If you buy it, and change your mind, you'll have to pay to have it taken to the landfill.

Allow about $10,000 for that, after the lawsuits. I mean the one where the marina, or wherever you are keeping the hulk, sues you to physically remove it .

Cory B

Sustaining Member
New Leif

I thought I remembered something about hull #1. Brownish/Maroon hull?

If so, it was in Portland for many years. Last time I saw it was in Rocky Pointe Marina maybe 4 years ago? It was solid enough at that time to at least make it to Hawaii.

But as others mentioned, don't be rushed into making a decision. There are some good deals to be found at auctions at the right price, but also bad at any price.

dchemist

Not quite that foolish

Thank you for your honest and straightforward reply. The risks scare me, but it is a potential opportunity also, especially, if there are no other bidders. I have inspected the boat with an experienced sailor, and have another inspection scheduled. This has included hull soundings (hammer test) with an underwater inspection, engine and transmission, general examination of rigging, spars, and deck, examining bilges, ... I know the boat needs some work. I am also aware of the importance of a professional survey. I have no control over the established auction date and conditions. I am hoping that answers to the questions that I asked will help me decide to bid and how low. I am also seeing a well maintained E-30 tomorrow.

Whats the name/port on the boat? Somebody here might know something about it.

That is great advice. I agree, but qualified marine surveyors in my area are not available until after the auction. If I do get the boat, I will have a full survey done for maintenance and safety reasons, especially here, where 1 mile out is open ocean.

How many boats have you looked at? You're not seriously considering buying a boat and then seeing what you bought, are you?

Are you brand new to this?

Maybe I've got it wrong, but urgency should be no part of this procedure.

Look, nobody wanted this boat. It didn't sell. It is very old. At a guess it will take $20,000 and two years to make it safe for passage between any two Hawaiian islands. If you do the work.

If you buy it, and change your mind, you'll have to pay to have it taken to the landfill.

Allow about $10,000 for that, after the lawsuits. I mean the one where the marina, or wherever you are keeping the hulk, sues you to physically remove it .

dchemist

Aloha Cory,

Thank you, please private message me if you have additional information or contacts.

I agree that some boats are not worth any price, and this could be one of them. When you add the bid price to the costs of known issues, it should be much below the value of a surveyed boat in good condition since unforeseen problems can cost more than the boat is worth. This boat may need to extensive interior work by an experienced cabinet maker, in addition to new lines, electronics etc. A friend of mine just put $10K into the same model engine on his boat. Those alone would cost more that the value of this boat in pristine condition, even before considering sails, hull work, fittings .... That is why I am trying to eliminate as many unknowns as I can.

Thank you and everyone else on this forum that has posted or messaged me.

David

I thought I remembered something about hull #1. Brownish/Maroon hull?

If so, it was in Portland for many years. Last time I saw it was in Rocky Pointe Marina maybe 4 years ago? It was solid enough at that time to at least make it to Hawaii.

But as others mentioned, don't be rushed into making a decision. There are some good deals to be found at auctions at the right price, but also bad at any price.

Guy Stevens

That was a little harsh.... But probably not that far off.

First there are boats that you should not take even if someone gives them to you.

Second, there are people that love working on boats, and then there are people that love to sail. They are generally not the same people!

Surveys.... Some are great tools, and most aren't worth the paper they are written on. I used to do a lot of surveying, I loved it, I love helping people get a great boat, and know what they are getting into. Most surveyors can't do that, and most owners or potential buyers don't want that. (I once had two people trying to punch me out, one a previous owner, and another the potential owner. My crime; finding that every single rib on the boat I was surveying I could poke my FINGER through. However that is a different story than here. I still survey for a very select group of clients that won't let me completely quit.)

Lets talk about project boats...
Most people that buy project boats don't really want a project boat, they want a boat to go sailing in.

Without looking at the boat in question I can guess that the following things need to be done to it. (Yep might get a few wrong but stick with me). It being auctioned, means that either a marina is tired of it sitting around, or an insurance company has paid out the owner for a total loss and is trying to recoup some of what they have paid out on it, so I have a fair idea of the shape the boat is in.

• Remove the majority of the interior and replace with good wood.
  • Fumigate the boat, on the hard.
  • Haul the boat, remove several decades of bottom paint.
  • Repaint the boat.
  • Rewire the boat.
  • Fix the leaking exhaust on the boat.
  • Re plumb the entire boat.
  • Oh look the rig is well over 30 years old, try to convince yourself that it is fine.
  • Replace the rig.
  • Replace all of the running rigging.
  • Fix the rudder, but removing the skin and looking at the armature to make sure it is sound.
  • Replace all of the ball valves with real seacocks.
  • Replace the chain plates.
  • Repair the areas of the deck that are saturated or have rotten core.
  • Replace the steering cables and lube the quadrant and sheaves.
  • Repaint or re anodize the mast while you have it out for re rigging.
  • Remove all of the hardware from the mast to fix the corrosion issues, before you repaint it or re anodize it.
  • New canvas all around, you are going to want a dodger.
  • Those 30+ year old sails are going to need to be replaced...
  • Rebed all of the deck hardware
  • Remove and rebuild or replace all of the deck hatches
  • Repaint the Topsides
  • Rebuild and repair the winches
  • Replace those winches with Self Tailing winches
  • Repaint the decks
  • Repair or replace the leaking diesel tanks
  • Repair or replace the leaking water tanks
  • Replace the head
  • Replace all the hoses to the head
  • Install a new holding tank
  • etc.....

Now if you like WORKING on boats, and want to take everything on the boat apart one thing at a time. AND if you are already really good at this kind of thing, and have fixed a bunch of other boats and know what you are getting yourself into doing it. And you want to do this really right and have a bit of money saved up to do it, and you don't have a wife, or girlfriend, or if that wife or girlfriend is as committed to boat BUILDING as you are. AND you don't ever want to spend a weekend with your mates. AND you don't ever want to take your girlfriend or wife out to dinner. Then this might just be the thing for you...

Seriously I have done this exact project, I took a boat that I loved the design of, (Thanks Bruce King), and completely disassembled it, and put it back together. After having over 20 years owning boats, and working in the yachting industry. Now my project was a little bigger than the one that you are contemplating. The math still holds though.

A serious refit of a totaled or repossessed boat of about 36 feet in length from the 1970's will take at least 1000 man hours, and more likely will take you in the neighborhood of 2000-2500 man hours. That is if you know what you are doing and have all the tools at hand to do it. (Yes in many cases this is longer than it took to build the boat, but remember when they built the boat they didn't have to take it apart before they built it!). If you can do all the work with knowledge of what is a quality job and do that quality job the first time in those 2500 man hours, you will end up with a boat that will sell for slightly more than sister ship. 20-35% more by the way. So for 2500 man hours of expert time you will be able to realize at most $14K more than your standard $36K Ericson 36C. That means that you are going to be working for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.60 an hour.

OK so your time would make better money flipping burgers or waiting tables, but you aren't doing this for the money you are doing this so you end up with a cool boat right?

Look again at that list. Lets do some quick math (or Maths if you are from England, Australia, or New Zealand). Painting the hull and deck at a yard where you can do it yourself. $5K, Rigging for the boat $3k, running rigging for the boat $2k, New sails $5K, Chainplates $2k, Head holding tank and hoses $1.5K, New dodger $4k, New Roller Furling $2k, this list goes on and on... Lets add up what we already have... = $24,000. and that is just a few of the items that you are going to need from the list above, not all of them by any means.

So that free boat now has cost you 1500 or so hours of your work, provided you don't get sick of the project and let it rot somewhere, and $24,000 of your money at least. Better to buy a boat that has some upkeep and a lack of problems on it for $36k, and have fun sailing it for 1500 hours or so.

A few people here know that tale of my personal boat. I have an Ericson 46 that I have removed and repaired or replaced EVERY part of. Looking back even with my knowledge and skills I would NOT do this again. Don't get me wrong Aiki is amazing, I love the boat, everyone who comes aboard or sails on her is amazed at the way she looks, sails, and has been restored or better. However it makes no sense on any level to do it. I am also a very driven person, but even then entropy almost won several times. I know how many hours and dollars I have into this boat down to the nearest 10 hours and $1k. I am not going to list that here on this public forum, lets just say it would take your breath away on both counts. And not to brag, but I KNEW what I was getting myself into.

I love old Bruce King designs, I love Ericsons, I would love to have you here on this board, one of only two places I will participate on in the web. However I would caution you to NOT do this thing.

How low to bid.... Well I would probably go no lower $20K. If they pay you less than that you are being played for the sucker. :) Seriously look at other boats, there are a lot out there that are well cared for that are selling for less than their yearly slip rental is costing. Contrary to what most yacht brokers will tell you, this is a buyers market!!!! Boats are not selling, especially the boats that are in a class that you want to buy.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
I'm Saving Guy's Reply in my 'Gems' file

The 'Gems' file isn't filled nor cluttered. Entry is earned with succinct and insightful commentary. This reply qualifies on both counts. Awesome! Thanks Guy for sharing.

Oh, and loved the 'like to work on boats' vs. 'like to sail boats' and it's usually not the same person. Quick, copyright that, it's a winning t-shirt slogan!

Vagabond39

Member III
The 'Gems' file isn't filled nor cluttered. Entry is earned with succinct and insightful commentary. This reply qualifies on both counts. Awesome! Thanks Guy for sharing.Oh, and loved the 'like to work on boats' vs. 'like to sail boats' and it's usually not the same person. Quick, copyright that, it's a winning t-shirt slogan!
GUY has a tend to UNDERSTATE things.

Guy Stevens

PM communications reposted here.

This is a great thread. A lot of experience here talking about what is reality versus the sailing of a dream vessel on a glorious beam reach between the wonderful Hawaiian islands.

David sent me a personal message back channel with my list and some of his comments on the items on the list. I crafted and sent him a response to help him with the project, but I don't think that my response was what he was looking for. I have been asked several times in my careers in the boating industry for a list that would allow anyone to really get an idea of what was wrong with a boat. I have crafted several of them and given them to people to use. In every case this was a complete failure, the list if anything did a great disservice to the people that I gave it to. I created the above list to make a point, not to be exhaustive, but even then it is our tendency as people to want to check things off of a list. We often times believe that if we can only gain the right amount of knowledge on a subject than we can become an expert on it. Life doesn't really work this way. Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes and avocados are fruits. Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

My reply to David:

To create a list of all the potential costs for the boat you are looking at would be unlimited in scope. Every part of the boat has to be inspected by someone that really knows boats. Barring the availability of having one of those people available; you need to start at the bow on the inside and look at every single thing, I mean every square inch of the boat. Rusty fasteners mean leaks, broken things will HAVE to be replaced for the most part. Boat parts are VERY expensive, and working on them is slow and painful. After you are done with the inside, go outside and do the exact same thing. (Note for both of these you should spend the better part of a day on your hands and knees. Look for tracks of where water have leaked, look at the rigging with a microscope, yes a Microscope so that you can see the pitting and crevice corrosion. (If it hasn't been replaced in the last 10 years in Hawaii it is well overdue for replacement). (The same is true with the chain plates, and that is a big project on any boat!). Bow to Stern as many times as it takes to look at everything. Try to be objective, instead of thinking "that looks a little worn, but I am sure that it will be fine, think: "That part is going to have to be replaced". Write everything down! Everything... Take a camera and take photos of everything that you see. There is a lot of knowledge of how to fix these things here, and what it will cost.

Also the value of boats is determined by what it would cost to PAY someone ELSE to have it fixed, at the boatyard. So if you can get another 36C for about 36K max, then you need to subtract the amount it is going to take you to get this boat to average condition! On the boat that you are looking at if the mast and rigging is in the normal shape that most 30+ year old boats are in, it is going to cost about $15,000 to remove the existing hardware, clean up the corrosion, paint it, and reattach the hardware, replacing some of it that is no longer functional, and replace the rigging. Remember it is going to cost at least $500.00 to have the mast craned out of the boat, and on the hard for the 2 weeks to a month that this is going to take to do.

There is a slight chance that this is a rare find, that somehow this boat is a great boat that needs very little, yet was abandoned by the owner due to life reasons beyond the normal. In 25+ years I have seen this twice. So this may be a third time.

It seems as though you have fallen in love with the boat, something that is not good for objectivity, but something that is wonderful in leading a full and adventurous life. Be careful about how much you pay for it as there is so much that you can't or won't see yet. Make sure you get a clean title for it, (marinas are not the most honest of run businesses when it comes to auctioning off boats, and you wouldn't be the first person to later on have to give the boat back to the real owner after fixing it up.)

Right now you seem blind to the flaws in the girl that you want to take on a date. Once you own the boat, you are married to it. Be cautious! Be picky! Notice everything, put your love and lust on hold and actually look at the boat. If you catch yourself picturing yourself sailing between the islands, you are living in a fantasy future, you need to focus on what it is going to take to get there first. (The fantasy is already strong in your heart, you don't need to revisit it!). Is this really the right boat for you right now? Do you want to do this much work. (Just replacing the woodwork that you have mentioned in your list as the only thing that is wrong with the boat is at least a 3 month full time project. A project that a lot of people have failed to ever complete, which keeps them paying for slip rent for a boat that they will never be able to sail or to sell.) Open your eyes wide, and look at what is really there.

If the boat isn't bid up well beyond it's value in some strange bidding war it seems likely that you are going to end up with it. We will look forward to having you on the EYO board. I am visiting Hawaii in the fall, so if you have it up and sailing by then maybe I can stop by and say hello!

Guy
:)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Just to give you an idea of $$$

Here's a partial list of improvements we've made to our 1989 32-200 that was in pretty good shape when we bought her three year ago. She was also surveyed by a good friend.

Some of these were necessary for safety and some were more for creature comfort. It gets expensive.

New sails
New wind system
New chartplotter
New Auto pilot
New VHF radio with remote mic
New Engine Hoist
New bimini top and cushions
New liferaft
New refrigeration system
New transmission
Bottom job
New blocks and sheeves
New rigid boomvang
Propane grill
Lazy jacks
New fixed ports
New cutlass bearing
New head and hoses
New holding tank
New teak and holly sole
New stereo w/ remote
Go anywhere seats
New radar reflector
New main halyard
Mermaid 16,000 BTU AC/Heat
Generator
Life sling
New sail cover
New pedistal bag/cover
New lenses for Lewmar opening ports.

A big bottle of scotch and a cigar!

Last edited:

dchemist

Thank you Guy

Aloha Guy,

Thank you for all of the time and thought that you have put into replying to my post. Based on your reply's and those of others, I have scheduled an to see another "well maintained" (according to the broker) boat, and invited a highly experienced sailor to accompany me on my inspection of "New Leif". He has put $100K + into his beautiful boat, and will see more clearly what I might miss.

While I have experience in materials science and quality control, I am aware that I am not a marine surveyor. Should I get this boat, I will have it surveyed professionally. During my first inspection, I was like a kid in the candy store, wide eyed, and seeing little. A good thing that I shot HD video, and studied it later, but even that was a distraction from what I should have been doing, methodically examining the boats structure and systems. While available on-line survey / pre-survey checklists and photos will guide me in my second inspection, I know that I am not a qualified surveyor, and will miss many potentially critically important details. I do not recommend self-survey in buying any vessel larger than a Hobie cat, regardless of cost.

And speaking of Hobie cats, your comments on visions of sailing between beautiful Hawaiian Islands, is very well considered. Most people can easily visualize the beauty and ease of such a sail. They really don't know. Having sailed my H18 off shore a number of times, and inter-island on other small beach cats I have a better, although not sufficiently broad perspective. When the seas are 10X higher than your deck, and the boat can easily capsize, you get an interesting perspective. I hope that others reading this post will get out and actually sail the places they imagine before buying a boat to live the imagination. If I don't get a larger (ca. 36") boat now, I will continue to sail on Kaneohe Bay, and off shore, on different boats, learning everything I can.

There is however a fundamental beauty in taking some, hopefully well calculated risk, in following your vision. Overall and in the mid-term, that beauty is less important than an accurate cost / benefit assessment. If I feel so in love with the boat that I need to buy her, I'm out / brakes on / and will have an important learning experience. I hope that with the 20+ hours I have spent considering New Leif, and the input of experienced friends, that I will make the best decision. Regardless of the outcome, I plan to update this post, in hopes that my experience will help others in similar circumstances.

Mahalo no,

David

P.S. Guy, when you are on island, please contact me. You are invited to sail with me on my H18, and other boat, if I have it.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Guy Stevens: Once Again, Dead-On.

This is a great thread. A lot of experience here talking about what is reality versus the sailing of a dream vessel on a glorious beam reach between the wonderful Hawaiian islands.

David sent me a personal message back channel with my list and some of his comments on the items on the list. I crafted and sent him a response to help him with the project, but I don't think that my response was what he was looking for. I have been asked several times in my careers in the boating industry for a list that would allow anyone to really get an idea of what was wrong with a boat. I have crafted several of them and given them to people to use. In every case this was a complete failure, the list if anything did a great disservice to the people that I gave it to. I created the above list to make a point, not to be exhaustive, but even then it is our tendency as people to want to check things off of a list. We often times believe that if we can only gain the right amount of knowledge on a subject than we can become an expert on it. Life doesn't really work this way. Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes and avocados are fruits. Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

My reply to David:

To create a list of all the potential costs for the boat you are looking at would be unlimited in scope. Every part of the boat has to be inspected by someone that really knows boats. Barring the availability of having one of those people available; you need to start at the bow on the inside and look at every single thing, I mean every square inch of the boat. Rusty fasteners mean leaks, broken things will HAVE to be replaced for the most part. Boat parts are VERY expensive, and working on them is slow and painful. After you are d...

Brutal - but so, so true. You really, really need to watch it when buying a new boat - as you are opening yourself up to all kinds of things. I once told someone that "...buying an old sailboat is akin to slashing your wrist, then making a fist and seeing how much blood you can pump out before you pass out...all with a smile on your face." The old "...oh, I can fix that..." will work for the first 3-4 things - then you'll begin to get in over your head (financially, skill sets wise, etc).

Don't rush into anything. The market is still a buyers market, and with all the great folks on this site, you should be able to run down a hull that's not a total nightmare/divorce-creator. If the bidding folks are pushing, the brokers are pushing, then back away from it... It's so easy to get sucked in and emotional about it.

//sse

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
This is a great thread

I agree that this is a great thread. And I also have squirreled away Guy's excellent discussion. Terrific stuff.

I'm in the category of those who do not derive pleasure from working on my boat. If I were independently wealthy I would just pay someone to do all of my maintenance. But I'm not and so I don't. I work on my boat out of necessity, not as part of the hobby. But that's just me.

As for costs: In light of the above, I think of my expenses a bit differently--at least in terms of how I feel about them. I hate spending money on fixing things that don't improve the boat but just repair an existing system or piece of hardware that is broken, especially when I have to do the labor. Sometimes these are important maintenance items and so they are priorities. Something like replacing a through hull or a cutless bearing would fall into this category. I derive no joy from doing these chores--though I do have peace of mind from knowing that the item is in good repair. Then there are the "toys" that improve the boat, but that also require work on my part. In that case I'm excited about the upgrade but would prefer if it would magically install itself. The excitement and anticipation about the upgrade takes a bit of the sting out of the work, but I'm nevertheless happy when it's over and I can play with the new item. So upgrading the traveler would be an example of this. Then there are things that improve the boat but really don't require any work on my part. So when I added a nice propane BBQ or bought a new full battened mainsail that was exciting because the only work on my part was to write a check. (Of course, these items will require future maintenance at some point and may shift categories.)

I have a medium level skill set, I guess you'd say. I do all my own engine maintenance, most of my own electrical installations, waxing and varnishing, etc. etc. But a man's gotta know his limits and I know mine. I have a boat friend who is outstanding at anything boat related and seems to love doing it--he used to work for Jensen Marine back in the day--so on some projects I'll partner with him and work as his assistant, paying him whatever he thinks is fair for his time. It puts some money in his boat kitty and I get significant help for certain projects that I either couldn't do or wouldn't want to do solo.

The E-36C that prompted this discussion would be my idea of boat hell. But again, that's just me. That boat is going to need a gigantic amount of work. There are people who derive great satisfaction from restoring a boat like this, but I'd hate every minute of it. For someone who takes delight in boat restoration work, though, it might make sense. Maybe. That is, if you steel yourself against hitting the "calculate" button on your spreadsheet....

Last edited:

adam

Member III
I love Ericsons. But unless your passion is boat repair/building rather than sailing _and_ unless you're getting this boat for almost free, I'd stay far away.

I just searched Craigslist in Hawaii and it looks like a number of good boats are available.

Buy one of these instead. They're both great boats and if you make an offer will probably cost you less in the end than fixing the 36C.

Union 36:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/boa/4482984664.html

Allied Princess 36:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/boa/4467432256.html

Or even one of these, which are also very good boats.

Ranger 32:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/4486371225.html

Pearson Vanguard 33:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/boa/4436867961.html

2 cents

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thread Re-Opened

I'm not sure why this thread was closed - so I'm re-opening it at the request of users.... :nerd:

//sse