• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Considering bid to save impounded E-36C - Need experienced advice ASAP

dchemist

Impounded E36C - Second Inspection and dock talk

Yesterday, May 28, I got to see "inspect" the boat again for a total of about 1 hour. It was a good thing that I had two experienced sailors with me. I won't post details until after the auction tomorrow, but learned some things from a man on the pier observing my inspection.

There is a third type of boat owner in addition to those who work on boats and those who sail them. There are also those who use them as cheap disposable housing, having them under power only once per year for the annual "around the buoy - sea trial" required of all boats at state harbors. Word on the dock, is that bidding may exceed $15K, in a competition among some residents to increase their open living space.

Residential "boaters" can easily outbid any sane sailor, since they do not care about the state of the rigging, sails, etc. Unfortunately for classic boats this is almost always the end of the line since they are generally not well maintained. I am not saying that all, or even a majority of live aboards are not sailors, or even that it is a terrible fate for those boats past their sailing lives.

Now you are thinking "this fool is in love with the boat", and I do very much like her classic lines and large open spaces, but I remain sane. I look forward to attending the auction to at least observe. There is a lot to learn through this experience. I won't be so foolish as to post my intent prior to the auction. More details will be posted after the auction, so stay tuned to the continuing adventures of "first time big boat buyer". :0

Typhooner

A similar situation:

Three years ago a CT37 on the hard in a local boatyard was facing the same type auction due to back fees. The owner I believe had a terminal illness.

Having sat for years the canvas had long since retired itself. Varnish was mostly blown away. The bottom and topsides were in very nice shape. Teak decks on any 70's era boats are suspect and this was no exception. Cockpit seat hatches were completely rotten. Bowsprit appeared solid. Original dinghy was hanging in davits. Ground tackle was there. Rigging was not trustworthy and wood mast and spreaders were rotted. Interior was musty and dirty but nothing nasty had happened (no cats, rats or termites had homesteaded). Bulkheads appeared solid. Had a factory stand alone shower. All cushions and upholstery I would have tossed in dumpster. Interior woodwork was reasonable condition. Bilge had lots of rain water in it (I believe mostly from the cockpit seat hatches). Cabin sole appeared OK, but water may or may not have reached that level in the past. Three cylinder Volvo would rotate crank some by pushing on flywheel. Batteries dead and entire electrical system an unknown. Sails were in a storage container and said to be in good shape but not viewable.

12-15 people were present for this and a couple other vessels awaiting the same fate. Only two of us bid and the winning bid was $6500. I am happy to say the other fellow was the winning bid and future owner. To this day I have no regrets on that decision.

One year after the above, the boat we had been looking for came to be. An Ericson as you might guess.

Best of luck to you and whatever your choice may be. Looking forward to hear the outcome.

PS: Would New Leif happen to have a burgundy hull with turquoise canvas? This was a E36C for sale 2 years ago on the
islands that I have a picture of.

Last edited:

Typhooner

New Leif

As we wait to see if "First Time Big Boat Buyer " has become just that?

It is my understanding that Ericson 36C hull #1 named New Leif was built for Mr. Bruce King & family and enjoyed for many years by them. Perhaps Martin will chime in on this?

I have no idea if that fact adds value to the vessel or not.

Perhaps someone else can express knowledge or experience in this area?

Last edited:

dchemist

Auction results

Aloha all,

An interesting thing happened on the way to the auction. It did not happen. At the 11th hour, the owner paid the fees and the auction was cancelled. Speaking with other potential bidders, I learned that there was a high probability that I would have won the bidding. Based on my assessments and those of three experienced friends that helped me evaluate the boat, my $10K maximum bid, plus the work the boat needed would have been only slightly less than the boats repaired value. While not a good flip boat, potentially worth while for someone who loves her design. Some details follow:

Word on the dock says that the boat was hauled, and bottom painted about 2 years ago, the through hulls were obviously not replaced then (my observation), it is believed that the engine was also rebuilt 2-3 years ago. A poor, but fresh paint job was done on above water some time later, and old blue painters tape remains that will be a pain to remove. The main and stay-sail are in usable condition, the jib furler is non-operational and stuck. The rigging needs a survey, and the spreaders are not solidly attached to the mast, but it is clearly not original.The navigation lights not working, and there is no power to electronics. Additionally there is dry-wood termite damage below, and the boat's wheel had been stolen. This is clearly not a typical impound boat.

It appears that the prior owner maintained the boat with moderate ability, but that little has been done in the last 1-2 years. I have not met the current owner, but have heard that she does not sail. We can only hope that this changes, and that maintenance and repair work allow this boat many more good sailing years.

My search for a boat continues, and this has been a very valuable learning experience. Perhaps she will come up for sale by owner at a fair price while I am still looking. Then, at least I could arrange the pre-sale survey that has been so much the central issue of these posts.

Some lessons:

• Look around and discuss with your family what you are looking for in a boat. My wife wants a spacious shaded cockpit, to stay dry, and to enjoy the ride.
  • Impounded boats may seem a potential bargain, but often a professional pre-sale survey is not an option. This is very very very risky. At the very least, you need several experienced boat owners with lots of repair experience to accompany you and inspect the boat. You need to take notes on their observations and cost / work estimates. You will have take them to lunch or dinner $, and unlike a surveyor, they have no responsibility for what they might miss.
  • Do as much background work as possible. Do you know how much that furler costs? Who will repair that 10" weak spot on the deck? Where will you move the boat in the required time, and how? ... Do you get project paralyzed when you have a large number of "I can do that" projects.
  • Many boat projects can be turned into expenses, when you hire someone else to do them. Get estimates before making an offer or bidding.
  • Estimate the costs and value of the repaired boat. Both the market value, and the boats value to you. Use the lower of the two, and deduct a several months storage fees. At least double your expected costs. If your costs total the price of a similar but turnkey boat, survey and buy the better boat.
  • While being in "love" with a boat is a flag that you are not being rational, and should run away, it may be telling you that this is the boat, or type of boat, you are looking for. Get rational, and do listen to the advice of those who have seen the boat and understand the potential costs and work involved.
  • Decide is you are happier fixing boats or sailing them. If it is fixing them, try to at least break even. Otherwise get solid estimates and time tables for someone qualified to do the work.

To all those reading this thread:

The good news: E 36C Hull #1 is still on the water. I had hoped she'd be mine. There are many other boats, out there, some much better. Good luck to you all in finding and sailing your dream boat. I now know that E 36C is a beautiful design.

The unexpected news: I'm considering an O'Day 37 CC, private sale. I swore years ago I would not consider an O'Day. Please feel free to reply with comments, experiences, etc. on the O'Day 37 (1980). Mercy offers of Ericsons (32' -40') to prevent this folly are welcome. LOL

I'll post again. Thank you for reading, and for your comments, both supportive and warning.

David

P.S. Additional history and information on New Leif, Hull #1, maroon, are welcome.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Glad the auction fell through!

I think it's no accident that your $10K bid would have taken the boat had the auction gone through. The boat sounds like a wreck. I believe you dodged a bullet on that one.

I don't know much about O'Days but I do know that some models have suffered from severely under engineered keel attachment. Whether that applies to the model you are looking at is something I'd want to find out. (I think it was on some smaller models but I'm not sure.) A few months back there was an extensive thread on the SBO site about this. I'm sure a search of the site using the words "O'Day" and "keel" would find it quickly enough.

Good luck in your search. There are lots of decent boats out there and I'm sure you'll find one if you persevere.

Last edited:

Typhooner

Glad the auction fell through too!

David,

Blessings come in many forms. I believe a couple years from now having found the right boat, the magnitude of this possible endeavor will be clearer.

Would this happen to be her?

Attachments

• E36C Deal.jpg
    E36C Deal.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

dchemist

36C Glad auction fell through too reply

That is her. Do you know more about her? I'm still learning, and appreciate knowing what I might have missed. Please share what you know. Thanks.

Update: New Leif currently has a hard top dodger and bimini, the paint color, uv cloth on the head sails, sail covers, paint color and emergency raft (mfg date 1/97, inspected 2007) look the same. The boat was probable owned by G. Capps in 2004, and appears to be owned by C. Quoico now.

Last edited:

PacificJim

Is this the same one?

Is this the same boat?
I vaguely recall reading something on the E36c's here about the "Irish Lady" somewhere in the last few days...
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...2879768/Ventura/CA/United-States#.VxLl3UeIZhE

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5366299_20150917081915540_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5366299_20150917081915540_1_XLARGE.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 282

steffschaeffer

Is New Leif now Irish Lady?

I know this thread hasn't had a post in over a year, but I am very interested in the answer to Pacific Jim's question. Is New Leif the same boat as Irish Lady? I was very interested in Irish Lady. She just sold, and the post was taken down yesterday. The asking price was $17,000. I do not know the final selling price. My last contact with the seller was, "if the deal does not get completed for some reason, please contact me." So, if this is the same boat as David was considering, I definitely want to know. As my DSO says, "Better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster."