• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Scupper reroute?

Mitch

Member I
After a full weekend of swearing and bloodying my knuckles
I finally have the rusted exhaust riser and cockpit scupper
hoses removed from the boat. The original scupper hoses
needed replacement since they are cracked and very bad shape.
The issue is whether the original design, leading the hoses
down to thruhulls under the sink and quarterberth, was the
best way of doing things. It makes for low spots where
junk collects, and a mess of complicated hose routing.

I've searched the archives about routing the hoses to thru
hulls just below the transom. There is lots of talk and
debate but nothing from anyone who has this setup. Has
anyone done this on a 27? It would seem that it would make
for a shorter, simpler descending run. The downside might be
the ocassional burst of seawater in a following sea.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts on the idea, whether to cross the hoses, how low to put the thru hulls, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Mitch

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Scuppers

They are fine in the original configuration unless you plan any serious offshore work. If so, I would definitely increase the draining capacity with larger dia. hoses led to an exit of the same dia. The current thru hulls are only 3/4", I think. The best thing is to make as straight a run as you can over the shortest distance as straight down as you can. If you ever get "pooped" you be glad you did this. One of the most vulnerable situations you can find yourself in is with a flooded cockpit and breaking seas. The added weight and dragging stern will prohibit the boat from getting going again down the next wave, which could very well smash in the companionway....bad times, bad times.
For this kind of sailing, you also should make a one piece hatchboard (maybe an alum. sheet sandwiched between plywood), and add alum. "runners" inside the cabin and thru bolted. This will prevent the hatch from failing inwards if hit by a breaking seas from astern. Good times

Safe travels,
Seth

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I realize this is an old thread but i'm about to do so plumbing myself and was hoping i could learn from other E27 owners that may have redone the scuppers. I'm debating whether to enlarge the drains/thru hulls or just replace the hose. Since i'm not planning on any real offshore work i'm thinking the latter...

Would i be better off using a "Y" connection vs a "T"? i really hate the scupper routing on the 27's. so much hose and they seem to clog up.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just replace the hose. If while going around Cape Horn your cockpit fills, no worries, it will empty when you broach. The notion that "larger" drains would save you by instantly emptying the cockpit is to my mind a joke anyhow.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
haha, my guess is that if the cockpit has that much water in it then the cabin probably does too! what about a y instead of the t fitting. seems like the flow might be better but i don't know.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Scupper Revison

I'm not sure whether this is in the archives and therefore redundant, but I did change my E27 cockpit drain system from the original. I did not like the sink/scupper combination and I had freeze fractures of the drain fittings which combined the drain hoses. The cockpit divider model makes it somewhat more problematic since there are four drains and it's difficult to find a route that keeps everything at proper slope. That divider also makes working down there a pain when putting in the new through hulls. Besides being a nasty job, I never did install proper through hulls with shut-off valves, but there exists a low-profile product that I think would have worked. (I no longer have the boat.) I did like the result of having above-water line drainage. With some conditions, a gurgling sound occurred, but I never actually had any water back up into the cockpit. I did have to route one hose into and out of the quarterberth area, but was not a problem for me. I may have some photos if you are interested, but it was pre-digital for me, so I would have to do some digging and digitizing.

Lucky Dog

Member III
I'm hoping my drains soon. Saturday I shoveled four feet of snow form the cockpit. The drains are frozen solid.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Long time no drain

Hey Walter,

i tried looking for pictures of your reroute but didn't see anything. If you don't mind scanning them that would be great. If it's too much of a hastle I'd like to hear where your drains exited. I'm thinking of having mine exit on the transom if possible but I'm guessing that doesn't provide enough slope. I have the wheel version as well

Last edited:

Walter Pearson

Member III
I'll try to attach the photos I've found. One is of spring commissioning where I'm collecting the antifreeze from the exhaust - but it does show the location of the through hulls just above the boot stripe if you look closely. The other photos show some of the hose routing. For the forward scupper on the port side, I had to route the hose around the fuel tank in order to get a continuous downward slope. The aft scupper on the port side had to be routed through the fiberglass into the quarter berth for a route that did not have sharp bends.

I intended to put in brass fittings to replace the PVC plus low profile valves, and cover the gaping hole with a wood surround, but somehow other things got in the way.
DSCN2409.jpgQrtrberth Scupper Drain.jpgStern Laz Scupper Drain1.jpg

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Thanks Walter

That helps, I need to do some measuring but right from the get go I notice our drains are set up differently. I might snap a picture and post it up here. Maybe I don't have to make such a large cutout. I'd like to get your opinion, maybe I'm just not remembering how the drains are set up. Wouldn't be the first time.

Walter Pearson

Member III
A slight revision is necessary to what I wrote above. It's the port scupper aft of the cockpit divider which was routed around the tank. The port scupper in the main cockpit area (forward of the divider) drains through the quarter berth. The photos aren't clear on this, but I kept pretty good notes and made almost recognizable sketches. Fifteen years later, I need all the memory jogging I can get.

mordust

Member II
I have a tiller version E27. No wheel or "T" cockpit with divider. My only cockpit drain is the rather large hole at the aft most portion of the cockpit. No other scuppers. I presume this is normal??

Bob