Tri axial grid construction

jim239

Member I
When did Ericson go to the tri axial construction method? I am looking for info on the E39 and cant seem to find anything on this site.
Thanks for any help
icon7.gif

Jim

jim239

Member I
Ok I read that the tri axial grid wasn't introduced until 79, so the E39 certainly doesn't have it! But what does it have?
Thanks Jim

Roger

Member II
Yeah, the TAFG was introduced around '79 or '80, and all new models from that time on had it. This included the 26, 28-2, 32-3/32-200, 33, 34-2, 35-3, 36 Holland and 38/381/38-200. The Tri-axial Force Grid was developed by Ericson in conjunction with David Pedrick. Ericson is generally credited with developing the first structural liners for boats, and the TAFG was prominent in all their ads.

PDX

Member III
Ok I read that the tri axial grid wasn't introduced until 79, so the E39 certainly doesn't have it! But what does it have?
Thanks Jim

On pre TAFG boats the hull structure was reinforced by the interior furniture. On pan built boats, the interior furniture consisted of molded fiberglass sub assemblies that were bonded to the hull. On stick built boats, the interior furniture was plywood directly tabbed to the hull. I don't know whether the 39 was tabbed or stick built. But the reinforcement concept is the same.

The technique provided the equivalent of longitudinal stringer reinforcement at, approximately; the cabin sole periphery, the water line (seat height for a settee), and halfway between the water line and hull to deck joint (counter height, bookshelf height).

On TAFG boats the rig was attached to the TAFG structure via stainless steel cables. On pre TAFG boats the rig support was independent of the method of hull support. Some boats had chainplates glassed into the hull. Others had chainplates attached to bulkheads. I'm pretty sure the 39 has them bolted to bulkheads. Also on the 39, if I remember from some postings, the mast is deck stepped and the mast compression post is supported by a steel athwartships beam. I don't remember whether there is anything particularly problematic about this, but if I were looking at a 39 I would definitely check this piece out.

rootsey333

Member II
E38-200

On pre TAFG boats the hull structure was reinforced by the interior furniture. On pan built boats, the interior furniture consisted of molded fiberglass sub assemblies that were bonded to the hull. On stick built boats, the interior furniture was plywood directly tabbed to the hull. I don't know whether the 39 was tabbed or stick built. But the reinforcement concept is the same.

The technique provided the equivalent of longitudinal stringer reinforcement at, approximately; the cabin sole periphery, the water line (seat height for a settee), and halfway between the water line and hull to deck joint (counter height, bookshelf height).

On TAFG boats the rig was attached to the TAFG structure via stainless steel cables. On pre TAFG boats the rig support was independent of the method of hull support. Some boats had chainplates glassed into the hull. Others had chainplates attached to bulkheads. I'm pretty sure the 39 has them bolted to bulkheads. Also on the 39, if I remember from some postings, the mast is deck stepped and the mast compression post is supported by a steel athwartships beam. I don't remember whether there is anything particularly problematic about this, but if I were looking at a 39 I would definitely check this piece out.

Hi
Do you know how difficult it would be to remove the floor in my Yacht, how is the furniture attached to the TAFG and floor???
Bruce

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
. Also on the 39, if I remember from some postings, the mast is deck stepped and the mast compression post is supported by a steel athwartships beam. I don't remember whether there is anything particularly problematic about this, but if I were looking at a 39 I would definitely check this piece out.

Actually no. The mast on the 39 and 46 is stepped on the keel. There was no compression post. There were 2 steel I-beams running athwartships under the pan in an attempt to stiffen the hull, but they were located fore and aft of the the mast (at least they were on my boat). Rust can be a problem as access is almost non existent. The chainplates in the 39 and 46 utilized both glassed in and bolted fastening.

Martin

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since the TAFG comes up from time to time, here for the record is what the 1985 E32-3 manual has to say:

Click on the text to enlarge it.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• TAGF.jpg
    TAGF.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 277
  • TAFG 1.jpg
    TAFG 1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 172
  • TAGF 2.jpg