• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Original Bilge Hose Removal - E26

jarnold67

Member II
As the gut and remodel continues, I am removing the original corrugated bilge tubing that led from the forward tray back to a manual gusher pump. That tubing ran straight back along the centerline of the boat, until it almost meets up with the engine (you can see the little angled piece just forward of the engine). It then jogs starboard and then continues after under the coffin berth. I have removed it everywhere but at that engine jog (see picture). Before I cut into the backside of the pan (the engine came out on Saturday :)), has anyone had better luck yanking that hose out? I would like to use that channel again for the replacement system...

Thanks for all the help,
John
"Pickle" / 1985 E26

Attachments

• Exposed Cabin Sole - Aft.jpg
    Exposed Cabin Sole - Aft.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 145

October

John ...Pickle...ericson 26

John email me at gardem@roadrunner.com and I can tell you how I did mine I have an Ericson 26 in San Diego

As the gut and remodel continues, I am removing the original corrugated bilge tubingthat led from the forward tray back to a manual gusher pump. That tubing ran straight back along the centerline of the boat, until it almost meets up with the engine (you can see the little angled piece just forward of the engine). It then jogs starboard and then continues after under the coffin berth. I have removed it everywhere but at that engine jog (see picture). Before I cut into the backside of the pan (the engine came out on Saturday :)), has anyone had better luck yanking that hose out? I would like to use that channel again for the replacement system...

Thanks for all the help,
John
"Pickle" / 1985 E26

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Ihave the same boat, and that has always been one of the hidden mystery areas for me too, in spite of my insatiable need to touch every inch of hidden bilge.
I did cut a hole near there in the cabin sole to install an electric bilge pump a while back. I cut a hole in the sole just below and in front of the fuel filter and under the coverage of the engine hatch cover. it turned out to be a really nice installation location for a secondary high flow bilge pump. I just wasn't comfortable with only having the manual whale gusher.
I have also fished new electrical wires (in conduit) and a freshwater supply hose to the galley through that same intersection and they weren't the first ones there, so be careful when cutting to avoid a wiring or plumbing repair.
What are your plans for the main and or backup bilge pumps? I still have that same original corrugated hose running to the old whale gusher as a backup, but I would like to replace it as well.
I like to use a hole saw and a round inspection plate, with the screw on cap, when I cut those access holes in various places. It makes for a nice clean and easy finish, and adds to the value and usefulness of the boat, instead of a chop job to lament over later.
Let us know how it goes. Thanks for posting the picture as well, its always easier to get an idea of the project when looking at it that way. interesting to see the cabin sole pan without the holly/teak plywood top as well.
Is the Westerbeke 10 two going back in? mine has been great.

jarnold67

Member II
Bilge Pump Plans

I hadn't thought about cutting into the area of the fuel filter, but that may provide the access I need and eliminate making a cut in what I think (and hope) would be a major structural build to support the engine.

I am going to install a Whale Supersub pump under the sole (1050 GPH under advertising copy conditions), between the middle and forward factory bilge access points. That line will be run aft in the space under the starboard settee and coffin berth. In the forward bilge access point I was going to rerun a new hose and place a screened intake for the manual Gusher pump that I replaced years ago. Your idea of a third high volume emergency pump sounds interesting, and I may consider that option as well. This boat used to have lots of water on the wrong side of the hull and I want to reverse that trend.

The Westerbeke is getting a spa treatment with a general replacement of sensors, old and brittle wires, etc. and a new coat of paint. For the most part, I have had very good luck with my 10-Two as well.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Ihave the same boat, and that has always been one of the hidden mystery areas for me too, in spite of my insatiable need to touch every inch of hidden bilge.
I did cut a hole near there in the cabin sole to install an electric bilge pump a while back. I cut a hole in the sole just below and in front of the fuel filter and under the coverage of the engine hatch cover. it turned out to be a really nice installation location for a secondary high flow bilge pump. I just wasn't comfortable with only having the manual whale gusher.
I have also fished new electrical wires (in conduit) and a freshwater supply hose to the galley through that same intersection and they weren't the first ones there, so be careful when cutting to avoid a wiring or plumbing repair.

Any pictures of these that you could share, Shelman?