• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

micron extra not very smooth

dudley500

After many hours sanding the hull to gelcoat, barrier coating and applying new bottom paint I am not satisfied with results. I used interlux no sand system with 4 coats 2000e then micron extra. The build up is very much like an orange peel. In hindsight I should of sanded before apply micron. The question is what do I do now. Interlux says that the paint will polish smoother with time, but how much? We race a weekend series and losing say a 1/4 knot in a 3 hr race is a lot. Hopefully someone has some experience with this paint as to how much smoothing really takes place and or suggestion to correct problem

thanks

Grizz

Grizz
Winter '13/'14 Fast Hull Program

A bit of perspective from the center of the country:

• Just like you, the hull was peeled to gelcoat
  • with temps anticipated to be brutal (they were), a combination barrier coat of Interlux products was applied: 4 coats of 3000 (good down to a temp of 34 F) and 3 topcoats of 2000, alternating white/grey/white)
  • Eventually VC-17 will be rolled on

We are now at the stage of wetsanding the hull, beginning with either 220 or preferably beginning/ending with 320. It will be a time/effort/final result matrix that will guide our process. Interlux recommends not sanding finer then 320 when VC-17 is chosen, it requiring some 'tooth' for adherence.

I'm not familiar with Micron Extra, nor know what type & thickness of roller you applied your 2000 with. We applied with a 1/4" foam roller, paying great attention to thickness, overlaps, sags and seams.

A 1 square foot area was test sanded Saturday, with 400 grit wet sand paper (all that was at the boat, 3M Sandblast flexible pads = the best) and it took 3 minutes to remove the almost imperceptible bumps the foam roller imparted. Haven't extrapolated this to the entire hull, but there's hope.

There are 1-design boats here that use NO antifouling paint, choosing instead to send a diver down (a lot) with their Fast Hull comprised of only Interlux 2000 wetsanded to a glass smooth condition, at least 1000 grit, perhaps beyond. I've run my hand over those surfaces, they were both awesome and disconcerting.

Hope this helps. I'll know more by Wednesday evening.

Attachments

• Cropped Keel.jpg
    Cropped Keel.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
Micron

I have used Micron vivid and VC 17
I had the same problem with micron. It is soft and would get a little bumpy. Even after I wet sanded the new paint (Ouch)
I really like Vivid.
If you want it smooth I would probably lightly sand the Micron with 80 until smooth.
Put on one coat of vivid
Vivid has to be put on thin. (very important)
I have sprayed it for a very good finish. I used an HVLP air gun.
I have also rolled and tipped. It came out almost as good.
The last point. I have found that often I have tried to do the barrier coat paint in the spring.
I found that warmer is much better. It was difficult because they want you to follow the barrier coat within a time limit for the first coat of paint.
If cold the barrier coat can also be a little bumby.