• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-3 at sea - what else should I have / inspect?

reilly

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a 1984 E35-3 for sale and I would appreciate any insight into desirable features for cruising from SF to Mexico to Panama and additional cost therein. The current owner has 90% completed many additions for the boat for the Transpac, but health forces sale, and I think he would be happiest to see it go to someone who will really sail her places. He has many electronics already (2 GPS, AIS, 2 EPIRB, radar, solar panels on a custom bimini...), the head is trustworthy, but here's the list so far of what it needs:
~ engine inspected (it was rebuilt but without an hour meter, so I'm reasonably nervous about this, especially since the boat was in charter is So Cal before he got it)
~ needs hydrovane installed (he has it already, comes with the boat)
~ SSB install finished
~ needs storm jib, trisail, (has new main and jib,) what else would you recommend?
~ the standing rig is <6 years old, the running may need replacement
~ needs dinghy and motor
~ what else? and what other questions would you recommend I ask about this boat?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You'll need to consider aspects for long distance cruising of the electrics charging and battery system. Battery capacity, alternator, regulator, solar and so on. If the panel and engine wire is original, it will need to be upgraded if current owner hasn't gotten around to it.

Just about everything original on a 1984 boat is at the end of its life, and although this is just part of routine maintenance in coastal life, for an extended cruise needs to be planned for.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Grid cracking

I found cracking in the grid that supports the mast. I have seen other owners on this site with the same issue. If you look closely under the plate that spans the grid directly below the mast you may find a surprise or a repair. Mine was bulging which required mast removal for repair.

Best of luck,

Matt

Wind Chaser
E35-E #187

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Structural Checks

When we bought our 35, we had 2 structural issues to deal with:
1) The grid crack under the mast, as Matt mentioned. Its a DIY issue if the mast is out.
2) Severely corroded keel bolts. They were not evident until we dropped the keel. We had the yard take care of these. (see http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3448-Keel-Bolt-Design-(and-Repair))

Also, while we have not done any truly long distance cruising on the boat, we have been through the Columbia River bar and up and down the Washington coast to Canada a couple of times. The boat handled well.

Last edited:

reilly

thanks!! anything else?

These are GREAT, thank you all! Good to know especially those lurking issues. Thanks for alerting me to the grid for the mast support, I know the owner has pulled the mast before so I can ask him what he learned.

Cory, thanks for the link to your keel bolt thread, your story of how you came to to drop the keel gave me chills (of dread), I'm glad to learn from that and will be extra vigilant!!

Good to keep in perspective, Christian, the age of the boat, and bear in mind that which has not been replaced is most likely in need--and my good fortune that the owner is an electrician with a penchant for detail! And Ignacio, there is a liferaft.

These are so helpful, more comments and links please if you have them!

Jess

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Equipment

My 34-2 and the 35-3 are very similar including the same PHRF rating. They make a great Mexico boat. They are quick in light air and very responsive.

Some items:

-An asymmetrical spinnaker with snuffer would be highly desirable if you prefer sailing to powering. There is a lot of light air and the basic rig isn't big enough to move you fast enough but the asymmetrical will. I have 2 symmetrical spinnakers. They move the boat superbly but take a larger crew to handle. The asymmetrical is easy to handle.
-Take an oil sample and send it in to be analyzed. It will tell you what you need to know about the engine. Do the same for the tranny. Check the cutlass bearing for wear. Realign the engine and shaft.
-Pull the rudder and check the rudder and shaft for cracks and wear. Check and lube the bearings and replace the seal. Make sure you have the emergency steering bar.
-Consider some type of wind vane steering. These don't use power and become an emergency backup in case of rudder failure.
-Don't trust the fuel gauge. They are prone to telling you lies. Put in a hour gauge and record the hours at fill up and note the hour when you will be empty based on the hourly consumption of the engine. This could save a lot of paddling at some point.
-Take spares for everything.

Bob Morrison
E34-2 Terra Nova