• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 28 Bilge and Shower pump wiring

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know if the bilge pump and shower pump used the same power source. Only one bilge pump switch on the main panel. Trying to sort out some exotic wiring. Bilge pump presently wired directly from main panel. No float switch in system. Shower pump works directly wired but original source wires have no power. Found them corrode and disconnected with no obvious source close by. Thanks. Al Frakes Port Kent, NY

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
ON my model, the pump for the shower bilge has an on/off switch in the head for use as needed (no float). It shares wiring with the main bilge pump--the harness is accessible from the shower bilge, you may have to dig for it. Main bilge is a Rule 1500 with float. The main bilge is "always on" (I turn my batt selector switch off when leaving the boat), but the panel "bilge pump" switch--which controls only the the main bilge, not the shower bilge--allows testing.

I removed the shower bilge pump since we don't use it.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Confirmed

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I also have a manual/automatic switch with a fuse holder in the head. Time to run some new wire. Al Frakes Port Kent, NY

sailingjazz

Member II
E28 Bilge

On my E28 that shower bilge pump is wired to the fresh water pressure pump circuit. When ever the pressure water is on, the shower bilge pump is energized. The automatic \ manual switch in the head controls rather it is controlled by the float switch or continuously running. On my boat the main bilge pump is under the starboard birth and controlled by the panel breaker switch. I plan to add a float switch to it this season.

Cheers
Kevin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for confirming what I thought. I also have a manual/automatic switch with a fuse holder in the head. Time to run some new wire. Al Frakes Port Kent, NY

Interesting thread. I had naively thought that my boat was wired "same as" other 80's Ericson's. Maybe not, but then prior owners of many of the boats in question could have made changes. :confused:
Ours came with two Rule switch panels, one in the head and the other mounted adjacent to the breaker panel by the nav table. AFAIK this work is from the factory, and the first owner did nothing additional to the boat. Both panels are fed by individual Rule "float switch" wiring from two different sections of the bilge, as well. (Now, if the Rule float switches were only more reliable.......... )

I will append a little pix of the Rule switch plate, found on the 'net.

Our switch by the breaker panel controls the pump with the intake in the center portion of the bilge, and that's where its float switch is as well. The Rule switch in the head was for the shower but is a bit of a misnomer given that the sump grate in the head drains to the bilge area in front of the engine, and the float switch and pick-up for this is forward by one transverse floor frame, i.e. any shower sump water would have to work its way forward several feet and then accumulate enough water to raise that particular float... :rolleyes:

The result would be about an inch of water in the whole bilge, soap scum and all. Ick.

So, we shower in marinas or out in the cockpit.

What the factory did was provide the means to advertise that the head compartment incorporated a Shower. They never really worked out a good way to handle the waste water from it, IMHO.

Someday, when I get "a round tuit" I plan on plumbing a drain hose into the shower pan drain outlet and Y-valving that into the intake for that extra pump. Then one could take a shower and just operate the switch whenever the water was deep enough to pool around one's toes! And the other 99% of the time that particular pump (a spendy Par-Jabsco chamber pump) could continue to act as the co-bilge-pump with its identical mate.

Having ranted a wee bit about this part of the plumbing, I must also admit that finding a boat built with not one, but two, $200. bilge pumps right from the factory was way cool, compared to most all of the "production boats" we had looked at when we were boat shopping. I seem to recall that the E-32-200 that we did not buy may have had the same bilge pumping system.
And then, both boats came stock with a high-capacity manual pump operated from the helm position, just like the category one offshore requirements call for.

Loren

Attachments

• Rule switch.jpeg
    Rule switch.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Isolated shower bilge

On my "new to me" 87' E28 the shower bilge is separate and sealed off from the main bilge. The shower bilge is located very close to the shower drain just aft of the rear bulkhead on the center line of the boat. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My brilliant idea solving all plumbing and shower bilge issues: simply pass the hand-held shower head through the opening port in the head and shower on deck.

Since nobody has ever actually done it, it is doubly effective in preventing recreational bathing.

sailingjazz

Member II
Shower Sump

On our 89 E28 the shower has a sump that drains into a bilge that is separate from the 'main' bilge. You can shower of in the Head and the water collects in the small bilge in front of the main bilge. There is a hole between the two bilges that is plugged with a rubber stopper. I have taken this out when the shower bilge pump was not working, but normally leave it in. I can't say we have ever really showered in the head, but from time to time will sit in there and use the shower head to rinse off on a really hot day. I guess you could shower and not pump out the shower bilge to avoid putting soap suds in the marina or anchorage. I like the idea of two bilge pumps is case of trouble and regularly check both to be sure they are working.

Cheers
Kevin