• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

backup outboard? Horsepower and other questions

LPBlues

Member I
So, the admiral would like some backup engine given some of our recent issues with our A4 and the fact that we sail the Gulf Islands that have strong currents occasionally and are notorious for knowing which way your headed and sending a nice wind from that direction, even if you turn 180 degrees and go the other way :). Any thoughts on an outboard? This is for an e29.

1) Horsepower
2) shaft, long?
3) mount?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Backup outboard

My backup for my E-34 is a 8 hp Yamaha, short shaft that also powers my Nordic inflatable. For backup power I put the outboard on the inflatable and tie the inflatable to the side of the E-34. I haven't had to use it for real yet but it nears 5 knots in calm water. The dink goes like a fiend when not attached to the big boat. I added two ring bolts to the transom of the dingy so all the pull is on the transom rather than on the tubes.

Outboards don't make good aux power on sailboats over about 24 feet. Even with the long shaft, they pick up out of the water in the slightest chop and create a disconcerting over reviving. Also you don't really go anywhere when the outboard is doing this. It is best to fix the A-4 and keep a dink w/Aux for emergencies.

I'm out of Port Angeles so I sail the same waters.

Bob Morrison
E-34 Terra Nova
San Juan 26, Ghost

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Backup Outboard

Interesting question. I have thought about fitting one of those "scissors up" motor brackets on our 28+. Mostly to store the dingy motor down where I use it rather than up on the rail where it is an awkward lift to get it down to the dingy, but also it could also be used as a backup. My outboard is a 2.5 so not much drive is going to come off it but it would allow maneuvering into a marina