• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

instrument panel labels

LPBlues

Member I
Is there anyone making decent labels for the various switches that could be glued or screwed onto my lacquered wood instrument panel?

I'm starting to think a Dymo labeller is in my future :).

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
A Brother label maker can be had at any big-box office supply store. It prints labels from 1/4" wide to 3/4" on a variety of different colors, including clear, with black or white letters. Buying the machine and an assortment of tape cartridges can be quite expensive, so if you have only a limited number of things to label, borrowing one might be more cost-effective. You can probably get pre-printed labels, but they are never quite exactly what you need, and they also lack the correct labels for those oh-so-important unused breakers. Interocitor? Photon Torpedoes?
It also makes passable labels for your line clutches and the larger size tape is even good for discreet "lift here" labels under the rails for sling placement.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Brother label maker can be had at any big-box office supply store. It prints labels from 1/4" wide to 3/4" on a variety of different colors, including clear, with black or white letters. Buying the machine and an assortment of tape cartridges can be quite expensive, so if you have only a limited number of things to label, borrowing one might be more cost-effective. You can probably get pre-printed labels, but they are never quite exactly what you need, and they also lack the correct labels for those oh-so-important unused breakers. Interocitor? Photon Torpedoes?
It also makes passable labels for your line clutches and the larger size tape is even good for discreet "lift here" labels under the rails for sling placement.

Excellent points. I do wonder how those office supply store labels hold up against the UV on deck? (Even the "outdoor" ones from Lewmar seem to crack and fade in only a few years.)
Also, I have seen Many of the Dymo labels fall off of all kinds of surfaces -- so I'm not real confident in their adhesive.

Matter of fact we are in the process of replacing all the labels on both banks of clutches --- most of the existing ones have become faded and unreadable after about 5 years or so. And this is in an area that is at about 45 degrees Lat -- waaay less UV than in the southern states.
:0

Cheers,
Loren

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, they're not really made for outdoor applications, but once you have the set-up it doesn't take long to replace them. I've actually had some of them "burn in" from UV shadowing so that the lettering remains after the label itself is gone.
From the Brother web site: "The labels can be attached to a clean dry surface and will be able to withstand harsh environments without falling off. After prolonged exposure to the sun, some fading of tape or print colors may occur. Readability will not be affected."

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Labels

The brother has an outdoor tape. It seems to hold up for a couple of years. I use them to label my clutches. They are cheap and easy to replace. I made a custom Sunbrella instrument cover that covers the instrument panel when the boat is not in use. It keeps both the sun and rain off.

Bob Morrison
E34 Terra Nova

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The various Brother type and background options are depicted HERE.

I used black ink on white tape on my black instrument panel--had I known of these options I would've chosen black tape with white letters, to better match the other panel identifications.

And forget using the Brother labeler at home. You can mark every laundry room compartment "Locker A, B" in a quest for perfect organization, and no family member will ever use that denomination, respond favorably to a direction to it, or stop mocking you mercilessly for the rest of your life. The location of every object will always remain "Ask Dad."

End rant.

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Labels

Any local shop that does trophies can make labels for switches, levers, or any thingamajig you can think of. Many carry plastic stock in various colors, with contrasting color inside that shows when engraved.

LPBlues

Member I
Any local shop that does trophies can make labels for switches, levers, or any thingamajig you can think of. Many carry plastic stock in various colors, with contrasting color inside that shows when engraved.

That is a great idea, getting something engraved would negate the fading from the sun issue. Thanks!