• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

looking for a roller furling for an e 35 -2 ?

ichigo

Ichigo
Any thoughts on a roller furling for an E 35-2. Can't put a lot of money into it, thinking of CDI.. anybody have one and like or hate it?
Wife thinks it may save my life, so she is "almost" on board with getting one....on good days.. She may be liking the other option on not so good days...

thevans

Member I
Cdi

We had an antiquated CDI Main furling on our 38ft '82 Ericson when we bought it. We took it off and replaced it with a full batten Main.
The CDI furling worked well enough on the boat we just wanted a bigger sail. In saying that we cut off the Old CDI set up but still have a perfectly good sail
that we could be interested in selling if you go that route..

ichigo

Ichigo
CDI or Profurl?

I am looking at two types of furlers, - CDI 7 and Profurl. For the jib.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Just want the simplest thing I can get...
I sail on the Potomac River and hoping to get out more in the Chesapeake.
Sometimes just me, so It would be nice not to have to go on deck to get the sails up...
Yes, I may be the last person with hank-ons sails...

e38 owner

Member III
For a boat of your size would not use a. CDI. Friends that have one dislike it. They have had problems with the internal halyard

Guy Stevens

Harken Mk iV or a Schaefer

Best furler out there for any money is the Harken Mk IV the Schaefer is a good unit too. Either of them are at least a 20 year investment.

The Profurl has more issues that I can recount here. Including non marine bearings, Titanium bolts into aluminum just so that can put the word titanium on the side of the unit. Set screws that will back out of the unit and cause the furler to jam... The list goes on and on.

CDI is not a quality product, it is built to be the cheapest option available for small boat, don't go that route.

Guy
:)

ichigo

Ichigo
Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought the CDI would be a little light. Didn't know much about Profurl. What about the Harken ESP units?
I don't need two tracks.

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Just so you know, you are not the last one with hank on sails. Have them on my 35-2 and no plans to change. Edd:egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It would be nice not to have to go on deck to get the sails up...

With an on-deck sail bag you can leave the most popular jib hanked on during the sailing season. Relieves having to wrangle the bag up and back every time.

Also, changing headsails provides a better foil than self-furling, which is only good to about 15 percent. This is especially true of older sails.

Also, you can have a nice inventory of used hanked sails for not much money, since many were turned in to avoid alteration.

Roller furling is a boon, no doubt about it. But it's expensive. Hanks work very well, and in fact they're preferred by competitors in the Singlehanded Transpac.

Last edited:

Pat C.

Member III
I've had a Schaefer for 15 years, no complaints. Don't ever worry about it. Was talked into Schaefer by the Vaiant yard back then, they thought highly of them. It has given me no reason to challenge their opinion.

I'm in freshwater, but I also singlehanded the boat almost exclusively, handling the Schaefer is a breeze.

ichigo

Ichigo
Thanks for all your responses.
This is very helpful.

Not quite up for the transPac..also on the wrong coast..but a nice dream..
Haven't minded the hankons. it's a little more exercise...Wife thinks it is a good idea. cheaper than life insurance.

Nice to have an active group !!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Harken

FWIW....
Our 34 footer came with a foil luff and a couple of tired-out sails when we bought the boat in '94.
Either jib, folded and rolled and bagged stood about 4' tall. Wife is 5'4". We briefly talked about who was going to carry that bulky bag up to the foredeck and later refold the sail. Yeah, right.

Quick decision to put on a new Harken Mk2 furler/reefer in 1995.
Still have it and it works fine.

Changing hanked-on sails is indeed a hassle, as others have noted. You do have a lot of choice when choosing a sail for an exact wind condition, and that's nice.
However.......Having an RF headsail just makes the the boat SO darned much easier to sail, and the easier your boat is sail the more you will sail it and the more your family (especially the Admiral) will love it.

After many years with a 135%, we changed to a 95% with vertical battens a couple years ago. It rolls up without drama and drives the boat well in anything over about 8 kt true. Matter of fact we used it alone when sailing down the WA coast homewards last summer and were doing over 10 kts most all day - T wind was over 20.

Worth noting: Your Ericson 35-2 is a fast boat, and for everyday sailing/cruising you may also find that you do not need as large a genoa as you might have thought.

While I have no idea what will work out best for you, at least I can toss in another "data point"....
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited: