• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Connecting the Victron 600s Battery Monitor

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The ONLY wire that should connect to the battery is a single negative jumper wire from the -BATTERY side of the shunt.
--Maine Sail

My question is where to place the Victron shunt in my particular case.

My ship's ground is a heavy cable from the negative battery post to a bolt on the starter motor ear on the engine block.

Also attached to that bolt is a bus bar that holds the several grounds formerly attached to the engine block, plus the wire connecting to the negative bus on the instrument panel.

Can I simply place the shunt between the negative battery post and the starter motor ear?

That is, can I ignore the bus bar also attached to that ear, and just leave it where it is?

Also, one of my shoes is untied. Should I untie the other one before I re-tie that one? I am worried that the tension may be different. I can't find that answer on Google, either.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
The ONLY wire that should connect to the battery is a single negative jumper wire from the -BATTERY side of the shunt.
--Maine Sail

My question is where to place the Victron shunt in my particular case.

My ship's ground is a heavy cable from the negative battery post to a bolt on the starter motor ear on the engine block.

Also attached to that bolt is a bus bar that holds the several grounds formerly attached to the engine block, plus the wire connecting to the negative bus on the instrument panel.

Can I simply place the shunt between the negative battery post and the starter motor ear?

That is, can I ignore the bus bar also attached to that ear, and just leave it where it is?

Also, one of my shoes is untied. Should I untie the other one before I re-tie that one? I am worried that the tension may be different. I can't find that answer on Google, either.

Christian, you mean you aren't wearing Velcro shoes yet? No laces and they're AMAZING:rolleyes:

SurabyaKid

Member III
I installed one of these last year and have been very happy with it so far.

if I understand your situation and question, you are saying the shunt will be electrically the last place all current will flow though before going to the jumper directly back to the battery with no other connection points between?

If so then I think this will work. In my case I made a new jumper and placed the shunt in between the old cable and new jumper.

i also find sandals less troublesome than pesky shoelaces......

Pat
S/V Kailani

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner

Yes.

To expand on what MS said, The jumper from the battery must also be the only connection on the battery end of the shunt. Multiple connections can be made on the other end of the shunt.

I know you like wiring diagrams:

Starter--------/\/\------iIiIiI--- +

For the shoe question I think Yahoo might give better search results than Google.

Maine Sail

Member III
139916876.jpg

Or

127764689.jpg

Or just buy a Balmar Smart Gauge, much easier to install and use....

Maine Sail

Member III
OK... I should have used colors in my diagram. :mad:

Not at all, the more diagrams the better... I liked yours!

Shunts trip up more people, and I don't really know why. Working on a 700k Sabre right now where the shunt wiring was BADLY messed up and this entails about 25 more feet of 4/0 wire to fix it plus the pulling of the 4/0 wire, where there is ZERO room left..........

Here's another..:egrin:

BATT NEG > JUMPER > SHUNT > ALL DC NEG WIRES

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you all very much for the clarification of the shunt setup.

I couldn't solve the shoe issue and called in a service guy from Sperry. He took a look and informed me that, actually, my shoe was not untied at all. Well, there went the $95 minimum service call charge. He said this happens all the time. People don't realize the shoe is fine, the problem is just with the laces. He cut the old ones out, put in a new set for $29, and I was good to go. I should blog this, I know.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Christian,

I have found that in the marine equipment area, even shoelaces are way overpriced, so I buy them at WalMart and then tie the left lace to the right shoe. :rolleyes: