• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Check your Deck Fill O-rings!

markvone

Sustaining Member
The picture on the left shows the O-rings from my three Deck Fills (diesel, holding, water). The detail compares a new O-ring to the diesel fill O-ring (on the right), the only one still intact and sealing the cap. It was pretty hard and inflexible. There was no O-ring left on the water fill.
IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0846.jpg

My 1981 has the SeaDog 1 1/2 inch Deck Fills like below.

Using info from EY.o, I knew I needed 1 1/2" ID x 3/32 thickness, BUNA-N Nitrile, Shore 70 hardness, O-rings. I ordered P/N B70128 from the oringstore.com for $0.06 each. Shipping and Handling was $5, so I ordered 20 O-rings to get my money's worth. Total cost $6.20.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_24&products_id=1162

I saw the SeaDog O-rings on sale somewhere for $4.60 each!

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 53

Glyn Judson

Care and maintenance of your O-rings.

Mark, Additionally, you might consider using a silicone grease lightly applied to the new O-rings each season or year. I replaces mine easily 10 years ago and due to the periodic greasing, they're as supple as the day I replaced the old ones with these. I too had a truckload of extras that would never leave the little plastic bag they came in. God only knows where they are today. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The picture on the left shows the O-rings from my three Deck Fills (diesel, holding, water). The detail compares a new O-ring to the diesel fill O-ring (on the right), the only one still intact and sealing the cap. It was pretty hard and inflexible. There was no O-ring left on the water fill.
View attachment 13853View attachment 13854

My 1981 has the SeaDog 1 1/2 inch Deck Fills like below.

Using info from EY.o, I knew I needed 1 1/2" ID x 3/32 thickness, BUNA-N Nitrile, Shore 70 hardness, O-rings. I ordered P/N B70128 from the oringstore.com for $0.06 each. Shipping and Handling was $5, so I ordered 20 O-rings to get my money's worth. Total cost $6.20.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_24&products_id=1162

I saw the SeaDog O-rings on sale somewhere for $4.60 each!

Would that be the same as McMaster-Carr's 9452K93?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Yes, identical items.

Alan,

Same size and material and durometer.

FWIW, Buna-N (Nitrile) is oil resistant. I am also using it for the gaskets for my diesel tank access plates.

Mark

Roger Janeway

Member II
Size of older Sea-Dog Deck Fill Cap [for 1986 E-26]

Thanks to this thread, I have ordered the O-Rings.

I also need to replace one of the caps. The O-ring that fits the cap is 1 1/2" ID and 1 11/16" OD. Is this considered a 1 1/2" pipe? I am not sure how to measure it and it seemed more like a 1 3/4" pipe (inner diameter of the pipe).

Does anyone know if this one from Sea-Dog will fit?
Sea-Dog, Replacement Cap Only, for 1-1/2" Pipe and 2" Hose Deck Fills, is made out of stainless and has 1-1/2"-11-1/2 NPSM straight threads.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The silly deck fill plates are irritating. Different suppliers to the boats, with different thread counts. Hard to tell if a new one fits without trial and error.

I go to West Marine and try whatever they have (and return it if it doesn't fit).

Sometimes people have to replace the entire "waste" or "water" fitting. At least I did, once.

About the gaskets. Like Glyn (four years ago), I have a bag of O-rings. Maybe I bought them on his recommendation. They're kept in the drawer with the deck key, and when re-watering I grab a couple and replace them almost every time. Not necessary in any way, just another hobbit habit.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes... I have bought three different "universal" deck plate keys and none of them fit the caps on my Ericson. Makes me suspect that they are some non-standard thing? Also FWIW, I have a large o-ring assortment "kit" that I may have got years ago from Harbor Freight or some other discount place. Late this summer, I started using a couple of them as keepers on my Zodiac oars (to keep them from falling off the odd button-style storage brackets, if you know what those are) and they have completely disintegrated already. Don't like sunlight even a little bit. i.e. The cheapest o-ring assortments may not be a good idea.

Slick470

Member III
Older thread, but I figure I'll ask here as well as the other more recent O-Ring thread. Our Olson 911 has the winch handle style deck diesel fill. Does anyone know what size o-ring that fitting needs? I forgot to measure the cap before I left the boat last time. Looks like this:
1640717183010.png