Check your Deck Fill O-rings!

markvone

Sustaining Member
The picture on the left shows the O-rings from my three Deck Fills (diesel, holding, water). The detail compares a new O-ring to the diesel fill O-ring (on the right), the only one still intact and sealing the cap. It was pretty hard and inflexible. There was no O-ring left on the water fill.
IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0846.jpg

My 1981 has the SeaDog 1 1/2 inch Deck Fills like below.

Using info from EY.o, I knew I needed 1 1/2" ID x 3/32 thickness, BUNA-N Nitrile, Shore 70 hardness, O-rings. I ordered P/N B70128 from the oringstore.com for $0.06 each. Shipping and Handling was $5, so I ordered 20 O-rings to get my money's worth. Total cost $6.20.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_24&products_id=1162

I saw the SeaDog O-rings on sale somewhere for $4.60 each!

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 53

Glyn Judson

Care and maintenance of your O-rings.

Mark, Additionally, you might consider using a silicone grease lightly applied to the new O-rings each season or year. I replaces mine easily 10 years ago and due to the periodic greasing, they're as supple as the day I replaced the old ones with these. I too had a truckload of extras that would never leave the little plastic bag they came in. God only knows where they are today. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The picture on the left shows the O-rings from my three Deck Fills (diesel, holding, water). The detail compares a new O-ring to the diesel fill O-ring (on the right), the only one still intact and sealing the cap. It was pretty hard and inflexible. There was no O-ring left on the water fill.
View attachment 13853View attachment 13854

My 1981 has the SeaDog 1 1/2 inch Deck Fills like below.

Using info from EY.o, I knew I needed 1 1/2" ID x 3/32 thickness, BUNA-N Nitrile, Shore 70 hardness, O-rings. I ordered P/N B70128 from the oringstore.com for $0.06 each. Shipping and Handling was $5, so I ordered 20 O-rings to get my money's worth. Total cost $6.20.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_24&products_id=1162

I saw the SeaDog O-rings on sale somewhere for $4.60 each!

Would that be the same as McMaster-Carr's 9452K93?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Yes, identical items.

Alan,

Same size and material and durometer.

FWIW, Buna-N (Nitrile) is oil resistant. I am also using it for the gaskets for my diesel tank access plates.

Mark

Roger Janeway

Member II
Size of older Sea-Dog Deck Fill Cap [for 1986 E-26]

Thanks to this thread, I have ordered the O-Rings.

I also need to replace one of the caps. The O-ring that fits the cap is 1 1/2" ID and 1 11/16" OD. Is this considered a 1 1/2" pipe? I am not sure how to measure it and it seemed more like a 1 3/4" pipe (inner diameter of the pipe).

Does anyone know if this one from Sea-Dog will fit?
Sea-Dog, Replacement Cap Only, for 1-1/2" Pipe and 2" Hose Deck Fills, is made out of stainless and has 1-1/2"-11-1/2 NPSM straight threads.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The silly deck fill plates are irritating. Different suppliers to the boats, with different thread counts. Hard to tell if a new one fits without trial and error.

I go to West Marine and try whatever they have (and return it if it doesn't fit).

Sometimes people have to replace the entire "waste" or "water" fitting. At least I did, once.

About the gaskets. Like Glyn (four years ago), I have a bag of O-rings. Maybe I bought them on his recommendation. They're kept in the drawer with the deck key, and when re-watering I grab a couple and replace them almost every time. Not necessary in any way, just another hobbit habit.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes... I have bought three different "universal" deck plate keys and none of them fit the caps on my Ericson. Makes me suspect that they are some non-standard thing? Also FWIW, I have a large o-ring assortment "kit" that I may have got years ago from Harbor Freight or some other discount place. Late this summer, I started using a couple of them as keepers on my Zodiac oars (to keep them from falling off the odd button-style storage brackets, if you know what those are) and they have completely disintegrated already. Don't like sunlight even a little bit. i.e. The cheapest o-ring assortments may not be a good idea.

Slick470

Member III
Older thread, but I figure I'll ask here as well as the other more recent O-Ring thread. Our Olson 911 has the winch handle style deck diesel fill. Does anyone know what size o-ring that fitting needs? I forgot to measure the cap before I left the boat last time. Looks like this:
1640717183010.png