• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

running rigging?

blueox

I bought an 87 e-34 three years ago which was neglected and left on hard for eight years,after hundreds of hours of reconditioning I am thinking I could actually splash late this season.The problem I have is rig was down when purchased and have no idea how to run lines at base of mast to boom for vang,traveler etc.hoping someone could post some pics.of theres so I could have a place to start to figure this out.This site has been so much help over the last couple years and I cant thank everyone enough for the info.I have gotten! Thank You so much Mike

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I bought an 87 e-34 three years ago which was neglected and left on hard for eight years,after hundreds of hours of reconditioning I am thinking I could actually splash late this season.The problem I have is rig was down when purchased and have no idea how to run lines at base of mast to boom for vang,traveler etc.hoping someone could post some pics.of theres so I could have a place to start to figure this out.This site has been so much help over the last couple years and I cant thank everyone enough for the info.I have gotten! Thank You so much Mike

It might be at least as helpful to you to post a few photos of what you are working with. After this many years, and probably a few owners, it may not really match up to anything else. P/O's do some crazy things.

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Running Rigging

I did a survey October two years ago on an Ericson 34. This is the best I can do with pictures only.

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 93
  • UP009.jpg
    UP009.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 79

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have wire halyards, one sheave of the deck organizers may be aluminum. If so, the wire goes through that sheave.

Note that when lines turn at the mast base on their way to the cockpit, that upward force tends to pull the deck up around a keel-stepped mast.

There should be a turnbuckle on the mast inside the cabin for the purpose of holding down the deck against that force. Make sure it's there.

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Boots 'n' Gaiters

If... the boat in question has an intact mast boot like the one in those fine photos...

COVER IT with a tight-fitted sunbrella gaiter. Our factory Kenyon molded vinyl boot was cracked from UV exposure and I finally glued it back together and covered it. Should have thought of doing that a lot sooner.

A friend with thousands of offshore racing miles told me that his boats did not leak around the mast where it went thru the cabin top, but only because he taped and sealed them with anything that would keep All the water (functional, but no esthetics) out and then always covered the whole thing with a snazzy-looking sunbrella cover. :rolleyes:

Thing is, those original Kenyon fitted boots, with their ability to be 'hose clamped' top and bottom, have not been produced for many many years. (They were fitted for each mast section Kenyon produced.)

And that's this morning's observation from the peanut gallery.

Cheers,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have wire halyards, note that one sheave of the deck organizers may be aluminum. If so, the wire goes through that sheave.

Note that when lines turn at the mast base on their way to the cockpit, that upward force tends to pull the deck up around a keel-stepped mast.

There should be a turnbuckle on the mast inside the cabin for the purpose of holding down the deck against that force. Make sure it's there.

Cheers,
Christian

The part that resists the lifting force on the cabin top, and has a turnbuckle attached to the ss bar in the inside, is that little square ss plate in picture #1, just by the rear corner of the big color-plate with the turning blocks. The ss bar is welded to the bottom (not visible in the picture of course) of that little plate. Same system on our boat except that ours is centered right behind the mast penetration.

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
On my 87 E-34 looking at pic #1 (port) above: From the inboard sheave, 2nd reef, 1st reef, spinnaker halyard, genny halyard.

Pic #2 (starboard): From the inboard sheave, main sheet, open - I don't bring back the vang, spinnaker halyard, main halyard.

FWIW, the deck tie-down that Christian and Loren mention is for countering the forces from the shrouds and is required with a keel stepped mast even if you do not bring the halyards back. When adjusting, just take out the slack while at the dock, per the owner's manual.

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
E34

Hi; congratuations on your pending launch. I attached a pic of my boom (from 2006 when i bot it); you can see the cleat for the out haul and the one for the topping lift. ( I theenk the side cleat is for the topping lift). If I recall, there was something 'funny' aout the inside connection; there was a block that one of the lines attached around, then back out to the cleat; it was the way to connect the wire to the rope via the block. The track will have a car for each reefing cringle on your main.

Attachments

• E34 02a.JPG
    E34 02a.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Interesting. My topping lift line exits the boom on the port side. Of course, your boat is 9 boats younger than mine. :confused:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
If you have wire halyards, one sheave of the deck organizers may be aluminum. If so, the wire goes through that sheave.

Cheers,
Christian

Now I know what that turnbuckle is for! Thanks Christian. How tight should it be?

Steve Pretti
E32-III Hull 711

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now I know what that turnbuckle is for! Thanks Christian. How tight should it be?

Steve Pretti
E32-III Hull 711

Nice and Snug -- hand turning the turnbuckle tight should be just fine.
Best to do that before setting up shroud tension and doing the rig tune, IMHO.

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Nice and Snug -- hand turning the turnbuckle tight should be just fine.
Best to do that before setting up shroud tension and doing the rig tune, IMHO.

I doubt if it makes much difference either way, and I offer no expertise of my own, but the E-34 manual indicates that the deck tie down is done last. As Loren has been known to say: YMMV.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_09 Mar. 26 17.24.jpg
    ScreenHunter_09 Mar. 26 17.24.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 435

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I doubt if it makes much difference either way, and I offer no expertise of my own, but the E-34 manual indicates that the deck tie down is done last. As Loren has been known to say: YMMV.

And thank you Tom. I will dock tune very carefully this Spring. I bet the deck tie down starts tight and slacks some after adjusting the shrouds, then needs to be tightened again.

We will see.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the record, photos of deck tie-down on Ericson 32-3 (one of them enormous for reasons beyond human control).

E32-3 deck tie B.jpg

Attachments

• E32-3 deck tie A2.jpg
    E32-3 deck tie A2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 460

Grizz

Grizz
Compression vs. Tension Loads and Lift

Heaven forbid getting cross-wise with Loren...and perhaps Seth may have an affirmative or contrary view, but...I believe tuning the shrouds and stays induces compression loads onto the mast and shrouds, independent of the purpose of the mast/cabintop tang.

The turnbuckle & tang connecting the mast to the underside of the cabin top, tightened 'snug' as Loren suggests, creates the resisting force that prevents potentially catastrophic damage from the cumulative halyard loads when the jib and main are hoisted and working. The halyards induce loads to the turning blocks connected to the mast collar and these loads will attempt to lift the top if there were no opposing restraint.

Could be wrong, but that's how and why it was explained to me a while ago. We step the mast on the 'String each spring, reconnect the mast/tang to 'snug' once the mast is seated and in column, tune the shrouds...and then 'snug' the mast/tang a bit more.

Very scientific! So far, we haven't peeled the top off...yet!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Rig Load Path

Heaven forbid getting cross-wise with Loren...and perhaps Seth may have an affirmative or contrary view, but...I believe tuning the shrouds and stays induces compression loads onto the mast and shrouds, independent of the purpose of the mast/cabintop tang.

The turnbuckle & tang connecting the mast to the underside of the cabin top, tightened 'snug' as Loren suggests, creates the resisting force that prevents potentially catastrophic damage from the cumulative halyard loads when the jib and main are hoisted and working. The halyards induce loads to the turning blocks connected to the mast collar and these loads will attempt to lift the top if there were no opposing restraint.

Could be wrong, but that's how and why it was explained to me a while ago. We step the mast on the 'String each spring, reconnect the mast/tang to 'snug' once the mast is seated and in column, tune the shrouds...and then 'snug' the mast/tang a bit more.
Very scientific! So far, we haven't peeled the top off...yet!

Ha. I only worry about disputing anything with Seth! :rolleyes:

Actually, this is the way it was explained to me many years ago, too. I also read something very like this explanation in an article by Bob Perry where he discussed the reason for the "tie rod" that went from the cabin top down to the inside base of the mast step on his Valiant 40.

Given the nearby location of the main bulkhead in our model boat, I would not intuit that the standing rig puts any mesaureable compressive load on the cabin. But then I'm no rigger or engineer either.
:confused:

Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Given the nearby location of the main bulkhead in our model boat, I would not intuit that the standing rig puts any measurable compressive load on the cabin. But then I'm no rigger or engineer either. Loren

I'm happy admitting that the halyards put an upward force on the deck. And FWIW, on the E-34 there is no bulkhead near the shrouds. Beyond that, I'm old enough to remember when all halyards were tied off on the mast. The decks were tied down back then also.

'nouf said.

From The Rigging Company in Annapolis: A deck tie down keeps the deck from being pulled up on keel stepped masts, where the mast does not sit on the deck. When the halyards are led aft via turning blocks attached to either the mast collar or the deck surrounding it, the deck will try and pull up as the line becomes loaded. The deck can also be pushed up by the compression of the hull, typically, caused by rigging tension.