• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Wiring Question (Kenyon mast)

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
We pulled our mast today and are about to start with the wire runs. There is painfully little room behind the track for any new wires and I'm not in love with the way the screws holding the track are up against the wires. Has anyone tried running conduit (PVC?) on the inside of the mast to facilitate the run? Possibly supported by riveting through the inside wall of the existing space behind the track. Any suggestions are much appreciated! -Ryan

lnill

Member III
Ryan. I ran new wires on my 38-200 last year and ran them the same way as the originals with no problem. Conduit would be a nice touch but the top of the mast is closed off so attaching the conduit and fishing wires would be a challenge. One change I made was to cut a hole at the base of the mast and move all the connections to the base then put a plate over the opening. On my boat the wire connections were in the headliner before.
Lee

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Kenyon Mast-top

Ryan:

I am lining up to swap out my Kenyon's 1988 mast head wind-speed instrument with a wireless version from Nexus (really looking forward to the bosun's chair experience:0). Wondering if you might advise what your mast-top looks like (I've never been up top); is there a solid plate that spans the mast-top opening?

many thanks....

Kerry

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Ryan. I ran new wires on my 38-200 last year and ran them the same way as the originals with no problem. Conduit would be a nice touch but the top of the mast is closed off so attaching the conduit and fishing wires would be a challenge. One change I made was to cut a hole at the base of the mast and move all the connections to the base then put a plate over the opening. On my boat the wire connections were in the headliner before.
Lee

Thank you Lee. We too are planning to lead the wires out the base and it's reassuring to know someone else did that with success.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Ryan:

I am lining up to swap out my Kenyon's 1988 mast head wind-speed instrument with a wireless version from Nexus (really looking forward to the bosun's chair experience:0). Wondering if you might advise what your mast-top looks like (I've never been up top); is there a solid plate that spans the mast-top opening?

many thanks....

Kerry

This is an old pic (of our masthead 1988 38-200) but gives you the idea. Good luck!

masthead.jpg

lnill

Member III
This is an old pic (of our masthead 1988 38-200) but gives you the idea. Good luck!

View attachment 13852
Ryan
I was going to dig up pictures of mine but it is the same as this. For the plate at the base, I bought mine from Rig Rite. Not my favorite source but it was not too expensive and fits the mast base well. I did not check all connections before stepping the mast. Found out my VHF connector at the top of the mast (of course) was shorted. So got to go up to redo that connection with my butane solder iron! Do it on a calm day.....