• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What are these holes for?

edokarura

Member II
So, I got these holes in my stern. In the pics you can see one that doesn't have a proper cover (and in through which I've run a telephone line) and one that does to the left of it

What are these for and what can I do to fill the one with no cover?

Cheers!

Ed
'91 E-34
"Kinnaree"

IMG_0131.jpgIMG_1656.jpgIMG_0132.jpg

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
So, I got these holes in my stern. In the pics you can see one that doesn't have a proper cover (and in through which I've run a telephone line) and one that does to the left of it

What are these for and what can I do to fill the one with no cover?

Ed - The covered holes, there should be one on each side, are for cowl vents to exhaust the engine compartment. There should be hoses connected to the bottom of the bases running to the engine compartment. The one on the starboard side had a blower mounted in the hose run with a toggle switch on the engine panel.

No idea what the previous owner mounted in the open hole. It didn't come that way from the factory.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some kind of antenna? Flag staff? Radar post? But why drill that big a hole if not for ventilation....

Sure beats me.

Last edited:

edokarura

Member II
Very curious.

There isn't a blower or even a hose attached to the underside of the one with a cover. And there isn't a matching one on the port side.

Hmm…...

Any ideas as to how to fill the hole without a cover?

Thanks, guys.

Ed

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A mystery indeed

mounting for the post for the ..... Loran? SatNav?
:nerd:
Whatever it was, it's loooong gone.
Personally, I would epoxy in a piece of teak and refinish the whole surface. Plan B might involve adding a small vent back there if possible -- you can never have too much ventilation for any boat.

Loren

EGregerson

Member III
hole

My blower motor was forward in the starboard lazerette; behind the interior 'wall' as I remember (with the exhaust hose and bilge hoses). As Tom says, it's for ventilating the engine compartment; fresh air for combustion, and removing heat. I'm about to replace my blower and duct; Defender has them for about $25; I didn't know whether to get 3" or 4", (the 4" pumps a lot more air but draws a lot more amps) but from the look of yours it's probably 3". semi ridged aluminum flexible duct is on ebay cheep. A pair of dorades and you're set. Fair winds.

ps: while u have that lazerette interior wall apart, check out the fuel hose (1 1/2"). If it's original it's 25 years old. they develop leaks at the bend and leak fuel into the bilge.

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Go to West Marine

You should be able to match those two holes with replacement plastic white vents. 2014 catalog page 553. Deluxe lo-profile type should fit right in. Screw holes will probably match as well. Good luck!

Glyn Judson

Permanent deck plate.

Ed and others, Sometimes the cheapest long term is the most expensive. I've always maintained that the most expensive widget is often the best or at least what works best for a given project which allows me to buy it just once. Do consider buying a stainless steel or bronze deck plate to fill that hole, it'll be the last one you ever buy and won't yellow, crack or look cheap over time. My two cents worth that I borrowed from Loren, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA